Quantcast

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Nevermind the haters, and keep up the good work progressing forward with the designs. There are a lot of things on the new Demo that just make more sense, such as ditching DU bushings, getting rid of BB threads, etc.
Agreed.

And I'll take no zip ties over being able to run goodridge lines. Minor detail but it's good to see these little details addressed.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj

was dropped off earlier today, thanks to demo9!!!

ordered an SRS and hive crank yesterday!!! stoked.

just waiting to order brakes and wheels

Cutters

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
Everett, WA
There should be a little straddle clippy thing that snaps accross the cables underneath the shock link area. This is designed to keep the cables out of your tire. Is this missing on your rig perhaps?

Jason C
I've noticed the cable rub on the rear tire as well. Mine did not come with the straddle clip. Is this something I can get from our SBC rep?

Other than this very minor annoyance, I think the routing is well thought out and clean looking. I'm not a fan of internal cable routing. Makes a simple job of replacing a cable that much harder.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
How's turning the bars with the Dorado? doesn't feel limiting or any strange issue so far?

BOOMSLANG

Is the Dorado alright to use on the new demo? Any insight at all? I've been thinking of putting one on my bike...
im not sure what you mean? do you mean the turning radius? seems as if it goes far enough, i didnt get a chance to sit on it or ride it though :(

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
im not sure what you mean? do you mean the turning radius? seems as if it goes far enough, i didnt get a chance to sit on it or ride it though :(
Correct, turning radius. Were the 40 bumpers for increased turning radius? or were they for increase protection from denting?

dh-noob

Chimp
Sep 17, 2007
Germany
i live in germany and i ordered a demo8I size small a long time ago. the dealer always says, that it will take longer and longer ... i hope the bike will arrive soon. the weather is sooo nice and i have to pleasure my bike-needs...

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I've noticed the cable rub on the rear tire as well. Mine did not come with the straddle clip. Is this something I can get from our SBC rep?

Other than this very minor annoyance, I think the routing is well thought out and clean looking. I'm not a fan of internal cable routing. Makes a simple job of replacing a cable that much harder.

Dude, I know it can be a BIT of a pain to replace a cable when they're internal but come on, were talking about an extra 30 seconds maybe ?

The cable routing on the Demo is BY FAR the worst looking Ive seen in a long time, certainly NOT a clean job and looks completely ghetto compare to other frames...Doesnt mean it doesnt do the job right but to say it was well thought and clean looking is a joke I'd say.

I love that "Kawa" green Demo... looks fast ;)

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
The cable routing on the Demo is BY FAR the worst looking Ive seen in a long time, certainly NOT a clean job and looks completely ghetto compare to other frames...Doesnt mean it doesnt do the job right but to say it was well thought and clean looking is a joke I'd say.
Looking forward to hearing your ideas for alternate routing.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Anybody else have trouble fitting i9s properly? It fits on, but the cone touches the frame "early" so that the end of the hub doesnt touch the frame, do i grind? leave alone?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
You will have to grind it down unless you want to wait until sometime in the summer to get a replacement. I dont think it would be a good idea to leave it as it is since it will not preload or hold the hup properly. I had the same problem with my I9 and i just filed it down, my Burgtecs were even worse.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You will have to grind it down unless you want to wait until sometime in the summer to get a replacement. I dont think it would be a good idea to leave it as it is since it will not preload or hold the hup properly. I had the same problem with my I9 and i just filed it down, my Burgtecs were even worse.
Frame or hub thinger. And you said new links come in the summer?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Picked up my large white and red. I cant believe I actually have it. Ironic thing is I ordered a Glory since I figured the Demo will never show. After the Glory was I was literraly talking with a coworker and got an email about the Demo coming. Never got to ride the Glory.

Build will be as follows. Pics tomorrow.

Demo 8 large red/white
Manitou Dorado (need to remove the decals)
Full Saint
Mavix EX823s laced to Sun Ringle hubs
Easton Havoc Stem
Renthal bars
Syntace seatpost

Might replace the RC4 with a CCDB

Curious to see how much it weighs.

Ight erplace the

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Demo 9: I did it on the frame you could possibly do it on the hubs but i think that would be quite a bit more hassel and i dont know if its even possible on the I9 end nut and still keep it functional. Specialized sad that they would repalce the dropout frame part, but that wasnt until the summer sometime and thats even if they do it.

AutoPilotOff

Chimp
Jan 4, 2010
Quick question for those that may know.

I should be building my frame up in the next few days and I will be installing the BB adapters myself. I read that the a similar kit from Truvativ says to use lock tight for a permanent install. Does this go the same for the kit that comes with the frame set? I figured it would install like a head set but I wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Tom L

Chimp
Dec 29, 2010
I had the same problem with my Burgtecs, the end cap had to be Dremeled to get the hub to sit in the 'slot' in the frame. Also modded the shock yoke to fit a Vivid coil. No problems with either so far..

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Quick question for those that may know.

I should be building my frame up in the next few days and I will be installing the BB adapters myself. I read that the a similar kit from Truvativ says to use lock tight for a permanent install. Does this go the same for the kit that comes with the frame set? I figured it would install like a head set but I wanted to be sure. Thanks.
The press in cups do install like a headset, but instaed of grease you should use some green loctite. It is for slip fit applications, I don't remember the mfg # off hand.

It will not be permanent, you will still be able to remove the cups.

AutoPilotOff

Chimp
Jan 4, 2010
BB install went kinda sketchy. Directions say to have the BB installed in the adapters while you press it in. The last few millimeters made a lot of small popping noises. I hope I didn't F-up my saint bearings. Other than that everything went well. Came in at 38.4 lbs. Over a pound lighter then my 2009 Demo 8.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I put 2 drive, 1 non drive between the demo adapters and the saint BB
nothing between the adapters and the frame

looks perfect to me

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Anybody know wtf spesh was trying to tell us with taking apart the bearings and putting in all sorts of weird washers and things-i ignored it, but what is the deal?

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
The spacers are for the BB30 press fit adapter that you would have to order seperately if you want to run descendants or other truvativ style cranks. You don't need them for xtr/saint cranks and cups. My build went fine with no issues. I am running saints with 2 drive spacers and one non drive.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
The spacers are for the BB30 press fit adapter that you would have to order seperately if you want to run descendants or other truvativ style cranks. You don't need them for xtr/saint cranks and cups. My build went fine with no issues. I am running saints with 2 drive spacers and one non drive.
My complete Demo 8 has the pressfit30 to BSA SRAM BB adapter installed. Helping with building up another 011 Demo 8 from the frameset up tomorrow.

That build will use a Howitzer 83mm BB for Holzfeller cranks. Not sure if the BB30 adapter that comes with the frameset is the same SRAM adapter as on the completes? I am guessing it is not. For GXP type BB's they have a specific spacer on each cup side.

Just trying to wrap my head around what is needed for a Howizter BB setup. Any heads up is mucho appreciated.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Answered my own question from pics I just received of the BB adapter from the frameset. Spacers refer to the thin 3 x plastic washers and wavy washer needed for GXP type BB. Holzfeller Howitzer BB should install as normal with one 2.5mm cup spacer drive side.

graserg

Chimp
Jun 28, 2010
VT
I just went to my shop to see my 2011 demo I that had arrived. I thought the bike was going to be Black/red and it is Gold/black. The bike looks sick but what's the deal with the gold?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I just went to my shop to see my 2011 demo I that had arrived. I thought the bike was going to be Black/red and it is Gold/black. The bike looks sick but what's the deal with the gold?
Hmmm the black and gold was supposed to be the Canadian OEM color from what I understood. Is it anodized?

graserg

Chimp
Jun 28, 2010
VT
It looks anodized if you mean flat/dull. As opposed to a shiny gloss finish. The bike may have come from a canadian supplier seeing that I'm in VT. Otherwise its com pleat with the rainbow sticker.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Hmmm the black and gold was supposed to be the Canadian OEM color from what I understood. Is it anodized?

Theres only 4 oem colors in the Canadian catalogue for 2011.

Demo 8 II = Red/White
Demo 8 I = Red/Black
Demo 8 Frameset = -Flo Yellow/Black
-Red/White
-Project Black