Quantcast

guiepinto

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
Brazil
Fox springs aren't labelled with the exact stroke. Your spring is actually a 3" stroke, even though it says otherwise. The big diff is going to be the huge difference in spring weight. Are you big enough for a 525x3?
Yep, I may even need something stiffer than 525...

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Exactly... But my frame came with a 400x3.25.
So I was wondering if a 525x3.00 from Obtanium would work...
Fox generally labels their springs with something close to the actual stroke, and not the nominal stroke.

If a spring actually only had 3.0 in stroke, and you put it on a 3.0 stroke shock, then you would coil bind if you put any preload on it.

So for a Fox shock - 3.1 or 3.15 or 3,25 would be correct.

For an Obtainium spring, I think 3.0 is correct, because they label the nominal stroke, which actually makes more sense. But you'd want to double check that with them.

JC

Hellpoker

Chimp
Nov 16, 2008
Need help here!

My friend managed to strip 2/3 of the threads in the pivot location where the magnesium link gets connected to the front triangle.

Do you think i can manage to ride the frame with the bolt screwed on the remaining threads with loctite on or do i need to make new threads in there ?

Hellpoker

Chimp
Nov 16, 2008
He got access to a workshop, so i asked him to take care of it, since i dont have the necessary tools.

Problem started with him tighting the bolt on the oneside first, which misaligned the bolt positioning on the otherside.

Anyways, i need solutions: Should i ride the frame with the remaining threads + loctite or is it possible to make new threads in there ?

AutoPilotOff

Chimp
Jan 4, 2010
Problem started with him tighting the bolt on the oneside first, which misaligned the bolt positioning on the otherside.
Very common mistake for someone that shouldn't be turning wrenches.

Help us out and post pics if you can. Helicoil maybe?

Also dont forget to nut check your friend.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I'm wondering why you guys were removing/re-installing the S-Link in the first place... The framesets come "put-together", and the completes definitely don't need any torque-checks.

:think::confused::confused:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm wondering why you guys were removing/re-installing the S-Link in the first place... The framesets come "put-together", and the completes definitely don't need any torque-checks.

:think::confused::confused:
Most of the time, but not always. My most recent specialized (when it was brand new) needed the main pivot greased and re-torqued due to a popping noise when pedaling hard. After doing absolutely everything else, that's what it came down to.

That being said, why did it need to be taken apart?

Hellpoker

Chimp
Nov 16, 2008
Do you think i can send it in to Specialized ? I'm thinking the producers of the frame must surely have some tools to make new threads for their bikes / frames.

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
every bike should be checked for proper torques...especially brand new bikes
It never hurts to "check" torque, even on new bikes.

Side Note: Most people don't know how to do this correctly. Adding an extra 1/16 of a turn every time you "check" it, is not checking at all. That's "over-torque-ing". I've seen pro road mechanics do this, so it's common, but not right.

The only way to check torque is to loosen the bolt and retighten it with a torque wrench.

Having said all that, this still doesn't explain why someone removed their bolts and stripped them going back in crooked.

JC

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
It was shipped to me in parts. Lower shipping costs i guess.
You were shipped a brand new bike in parts, and the seller left you the responsibility of re-assembling it?

Where did you get it from? Who sold it to you? This is precisely the reason Specialized doesn't support mail order.

I am sorry to say, fixing that is not recommended. Loc-tite is not going to attach it structurally. It might feel like it's tight, but it isn't truly secure. There also isn't room for a helicoil, even if they made one in that size.

All I I can realistically recommend is front triangle replacement. Sorry mate.

JC

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You were shipped a brand new bike in parts, and the seller left you the responsibility of re-assembling it?

Where did you get it from? Who sold it to you? This is precisely the reason Specialized doesn't support mail order.

Don't most new bikes state that they have to be built by an authorized reseller, or the warranty is void?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
But then again mine came as it should, prebuilt and the bolt hole on the non driveside seatstay that connects to the shock yoke was quite severly misaligned. If i pushed the allen key through the bolt it didnt even come near the hole on the other side. Then bolt was tightend so hard that the bolt crushed the bearings and the yoke didnt even move.

This was straight from the box and hadnt it been for my curiousness i probably wouldnt have caught it so just because it is prebuilt dosent make the frame perfectly assembled and any decent rider should take out the shock and check so that the linkage turns freely when buying a new frame.

But i got to say that my dealer and Specialized has a great warranty and customer service, a new subseatstay was warrantied and arrived when they sad it would, which in the mtb world seems to be more of an exception rather then a rule so its all good.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Excuse my stupidity but why won't the Fox yoke fit the Vivid one, I've never seen any pics of them close up? Also does the bike definitely need a new yoke for every other shock, Bos/Elka/Avy etc?