Quantcast

TurnerDHR23

Chimp
Nov 29, 2010
Seattle
Hey I have a new 2011 demo on the way, and I just had a few questions for anyone who might have one.

I have heard from multiple people that you cant run an 8 inch rotor in the rear because it comes way too close to rubbing on the frame, so you have to run a 185 rotor. any truth to this?

And I ordered just the frame, so does it come with a headset? I talked to specialized about it but they werent really very helpful when it came to telling me what if any headset was included with the frame.

And If it doesnt come with a headset, would a cane creek XX Flush 2 reducer Headset work? I know its a 1.5 but it looked like kind of a weird fit in pictures.

thanks

Last edited:
Hey I have a new 2011 demo on the way, and I just had a few questions for anyone who might have one.

I have heard from multiple people that you cant run an 8 inch rotor in the rear because it comes way too close to rubbing on the frame, so you have to run a 185 rotor. any truth to this?

And I ordered just the frame, so does it come with a headset? I talked to specialized about it but they werent really very helpful when it came to telling me what if any headset was included with the frame.

And If it doesnt come with a headset, would a cane creek XX Flush 2 reducer Headset work?

thanks
i usually run 203 front/ 185 rear. most of your braking power is from the front anyways, so i think this is a non-issue. according to specialized website, the frame comes with a headset with cartridge bearings,probably a house brand. it'll be workable, but if you want to spec your own premium headset, it's a tapered headtube.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
i usually run 203 front/ 185 rear. most of your braking power is from the front anyways, so i think this is a non-issue. according to specialized website, the frame comes with a headset with cartridge bearings,probably a house brand. it'll be workable, but if you want to spec your own premium headset, it's a tapered headtube.
Don't think that it comes with a tapered headtube, looks more like a classic 1.5

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
The headset that comes stock with the Demo will be a Cane Creek 1.5 to 1 1/8" flush mount headset. It is a sealed bearing headset. I don't see any reason to change it.

The XX Flush 2 would work but seems like a waste of money when you get one already.

About the rotor size limitation I wouldn't think that is true but why run larger than a 185 anyways?

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
A 2011 DH frame that cant take a 8 inch rotor, is that a joke?
I'm also pissed that my 2010 Honda doesn't come with a tape deck.

I've ridden 185 on the back on the Makulu for the last two years with no problems locking up that back wheel, even after 4300 foot descents.

TurnerDHR23

Chimp
Nov 29, 2010
Seattle
The headset that comes stock with the Demo will be a Cane Creek 1.5 to 1 1/8" flush mount headset. It is a sealed bearing headset. I don't see any reason to change it.

The XX Flush 2 would work but seems like a waste of money when you get one already.

About the rotor size limitation I wouldn't think that is true but why run larger than a 185 anyways?
alright so you know for a fact that when you order the frame it comes with the cane creek sealed headset? just checking because I want to get all my parts lined up before it gets here so I can build it asap.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I'm also pissed that my 2010 Honda doesn't come with a tape deck.

I've ridden 185 on the back on the Makulu for the last two years with no problems locking up that back wheel, even after 4300 foot descents.
Its not like 203 rotors are phased out, i run 203 on the front and back of all my stuff, could i go 185, sure i could also go 180, 175, and so on, but i dont, why, because 203 works just fine, lets me replace rotors more easily, swap wheels easily, ect. Sure i can just go and buy a 185 rotor, but now i cant swap any of my wheels over in a pinch. Thanks specialized for attempting to reinvent the wheel.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Its not like 203 rotors are phased out, i run 203 on the front and back of all my stuff, could i go 185, sure i could also go 180, 175, and so on, but i dont, why, because 203 works just fine, lets me replace rotors more easily, swap wheels easily, ect. Sure i can just go and buy a 185 rotor, but now i cant swap any of my wheels over in a pinch. Thanks specialized for attempting to reinvent the wheel.
Really? Can't swap your wheels over? Don't own a Torx screwdriver? or cassette lockring tool in the case of centre-lock

It's nice to only have to have one spare, especially at the prices of rotors...

-KT
This is an expensive sport. Rotors are not particularly expensive. When people have more than one bike, extra wheelsets, and tires for all those bikes, $40 for a rotor is hardly a huge expense.

BTW, has this been confirmed or is the sky falling due to a rumour?

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I think the 185mm was specified to allow the sub-seatstay to be a little lower profile for increased heel clearance.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Personally, and maybe im by myself on this one, but im entitled to an opinion, and it goes like this.

To my knowledge, no other 150mm spaced DH bike LIMITS your rotor size, and personally, if i get a flat on a race weekend (especially if its close to my run) Id rather throw a spare on, i run 8 inch rotors on my DJ bikes for this same reason, every 150mm wheel fits every 150 bike, 135-135 ect. Why LIMIT the size of a rotor, does 203 really make more power, probably not, but its the same rotor (im assuming) everybody else runs. You have to take the wheel off to change the rotor anyway, but instead of throwing a different wheel on there, i have have to swap the rotors too(takes some time)

What POSITIVE attribute came from this, aside from everybody with a demo now having to buy a new brake adapter (and god help you if you have to go magura)

TurnerDHR23

Chimp
Nov 29, 2010
Seattle
I was talking to a guy who just got his built up and he said the 203 fits but it was scary close to rubbing on the frame. He said if it bent even a tiny amount then it would be scraping paint. I guess specialized just expects the 185 rotor fad to stick around. Although the guy I was talking to had a display frame that was pre-production, so perhaps they have changed it for the production model.

seems like kind of a stupid idea to pigeon hole riders into running 185 rotors, even if that is all you really need.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Demo 9:
Why not just run 185 rotors on the back of all your bikes?? Hell, most people could get away with 7F 6R with the power of brakes now a days. Lemme guess, you ran Hopes 9" rotors at one point too?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Demo 9:
Why not just run 185 rotors on the back of all your bikes?? Hell, most people could get away with 7F 6R with the power of brakes now a days. Lemme guess, you ran Hopes 9" rotors at one point too?
Never had a 9, been running 8 since 2005 when i started, If this is true, yes, i will have 185 on all the bikes, but its pretty stupid that in order to have "standard" setups, i have to change all my bikes because spesh decided to be "unique"

Thats assuming its true

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I could not agree more. I keep all my rotors 203 on my wheelsets. Makes replacing wheels due to flats and bent rims easier. Its alot easier to switch out the wheel and keep riding. I like to maximize my lift time and fix the flat on a week day at home.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I feel like 185mm doesn't cut it for everyday riding around here. I have a bunch of friends who run 185mm on Summums/Durhams and their rotors are usually rainbow colored from the heat. I think it depends on where you ride more than anything.

Would you guys be against a bike with only 203mm rotor compatibility?

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I know that the Demo in M will come with a 400 Spring. Does anybody of you guys know, for what weight range the 400 will work?

Thanx in advance

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
:rofl:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I feel like 185mm doesn't cut it for everyday riding around here. I have a bunch of friends who run 185mm on Summums/Durhams and their rotors are usually rainbow colored from the heat. I think it depends on where you ride more than anything.

From the pictures you've posted, I'd say a 300mm rotor would turn rainbow colored after a day of riding in your neck of the woods.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I think that i used the tf tuned sprincalc for my weight 92kg and that gave like just over400. My sunday which also is 8 travel through 3 stroke shock is perfect with 400, so i guess the 400 spring should work for like 85 to 95kg. Just use a spring calculator, personally i would recomend TF Tuned's

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I think that i used the tf tuned sprincalc for my weight 92kg and that gave like just over400. My sunday which also is 8 travel through 3 stroke shock is perfect with 400, so i guess the 400 spring should work for like 85 to 95kg. Just use a spring calculator, personally i would recomend TF Tuned's
Ya, i know, but sometimes the company gives recommendations......

according to TFT the 400 should work fine!

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
In any case it is always best to try out in real life on the track, steel springs can wary almost 25lbs. So a springcalc is only good to get a ballpark figure.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

I agree, personally I think 203mm direct mount would be great and certainly wouldn't complain. Saves messing around with adaptors too.

Aren't formula 8 inch rotors actually 200mm though? I run them and mine are that size, or have they changed to 203 now?

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I agree, personally I think 203mm direct mount would be great and certainly wouldn't complain. Saves messing around with adaptors too.

Aren't formula 8 inch rotors actually 200mm though? I run them and mine are that size, or have they changed to 203 now?
pre 2010 were 200mm, the actual ones are 203mm

lvnyk

Chimp
May 13, 2008
SI, EU
Formula switched from 200 to 203mm a few years back, the new rotors are 203mm only I believe, whereas you can/could get the old wavy ones in both sizes. The adapters are naturally different as well, and while the combination of 203mm adapter (or direct mount) and 200mm rotor is anything but ideal, it does work.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia

I agree... I am currently runnning a rainbow colored 185mm rotor on my bike. And that isn't even the set of brakes I rode in Switzerland.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Alps dwelling rear brake dragging DH riders rejoice!!

The 2011 Demo does in fact work with a 203mm rotor. The internet was wrong, so surprising....

Sorry for the crappy pics, but trust me, there is way more clearance between 203mm rotor and frame than between the rotor and fork on any bike I have. No frame modifications required.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Alps dwelling rear brake dragging DH riders rejoice!!

The 2011 Demo does in fact work with a 203mm rotor. The internet was wrong, so surprising....

Sorry for the crappy pics, but trust me, there is way more clearance between 203mm rotor and frame than between the rotor and fork on any bike I have. No frame modifications required.

Clearly this is Photoshopped :D

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
Personally, and maybe im by myself on this one, but im entitled to an opinion, and it goes like this.

To my knowledge, no other 150mm spaced DH bike LIMITS your rotor size, and personally, if i get a flat on a race weekend (especially if its close to my run) Id rather throw a spare on, i run 8 inch rotors on my DJ bikes for this same reason, every 150mm wheel fits every 150 bike, 135-135 ect. Why LIMIT the size of a rotor, does 203 really make more power, probably not, but its the same rotor (im assuming) everybody else runs. You have to take the wheel off to change the rotor anyway, but instead of throwing a different wheel on there, i have have to swap the rotors too(takes some time)

What POSITIVE attribute came from this, aside from everybody with a demo now having to buy a new brake adapter (and god help you if you have to go magura)
My Commencal Supreme DH was 203 only. So they limited rotor size...