Quantcast

steelforeel

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
Only the newer Vivids with the perpendicular rebound knob will work. And even then you need an different shock yoke, which will be available aftermarket shortly.

Boomslang
Since when they've changed the design of the vivid? Would the old ones work if you remove the rebound knob?
EDIT: Oh nevermind, I just remembered what the rebound knob looks like on the old vivid (you cant really remove it). Does anybody know if it's possible to upgrade the eyelet piece to a newer model?
I have one vivid (2009 model i think) laying around which I was planing on using as a spare shock...

Last edited:

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Since when they've changed the design of the vivid? Would the old ones work if you remove the rebound knob?
EDIT: Oh nevermind, I just remembered what the rebound knob looks like on the old vivid (you cant really remove it). Does anybody know if it's possible to upgrade the eyelet piece to a newer model?
I have one vivid (2009 model i think) laying around which I was planing on using as a spare shock...
I don't think it is something an average Joe could do. I also doubt you could get the parts from RS to do it. But you might be able to get Rock Shox to modify it for you.

JC

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I remember them saying there was some customizing done to get that vivid on there. Im not saying it will or will not fit on production, but i would not trust pictures of a pre production bike.

on a side note. I have been running a vivid air on my 2010 demo for the past few months and cannot say enough good things about it. It was worlds better then the stock FOX Rc4.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Technically, no.

JC

I hate to start a ****-storm... But whats the reasoning in making the yoke good for only one specific shock, and than down the road comming out with after-market yokes to fit after-market shocks. Im sure the Fox RC4 that comes stock is plenty good for 99% of riders out there. What if a rider has sponsor obligations? or wants to run a different shock i.e.. CCDB, Elka, Avy.

How much will aftermarket yokes cost?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I hate to start a ****-storm... But whats the reasoning in making the yoke good for only one specific shock, and than down the road comming out with after-market yokes to fit after-market shocks. Im sure the Fox RC4 that comes stock is plenty good for 99% of riders out there. What if a rider has sponsor obligations? or wants to run a different shock i.e.. CCDB, Elka, Avy.

How much will aftermarket yokes cost?
Have you seen HOW the shock attaches to the bike, and how the yoke works? It is that way, because it has to be that way to get the shock where they want it to be.

In the same light, you could ask shock manufacturers why all of their eyelets are not the same.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Have you seen HOW the shock attaches to the bike, and how the yoke works? It is that way, because it has to be that way to get the shock where they want it to be.

In the same light, you could ask shock manufacturers why all of their eyelets are not the same.
I understand Specializeds' point of putting it where it is to achieve a specific leverage ratio.

Your point is also very good, but to pay $2799CAD for a frame and than having to either buy a new yoke or get my existing shock modified to fit just doesnt seem worth that extra "performance" Specialized claim with their new shock mounting. Im sure the 2010 design rode really nice.

I dont want to come off as an a$$hole.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I understand Specializeds' point of putting it where it is to achieve a specific leverage ratio.

Your point is also very good, but to pay $2799CAD for a frame and than having to either buy a new yoke or get my existing shock modified to fit just doesnt seem worth that extra "performance" Specialized claim with their new shock mounting. Im sure the 2010 design rode really nice.

Dude, no DU! It's so much better than 99% of designs out there. Well worth having to get a new yoke for.

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA

Well, you are. Maybe just get a different bike if the yoke design doesn't please you or if your budget doesn't accommodate your shock preference for this frame?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Well, you are. Maybe just get a different bike if the yoke design doesn't please you or if your budget doesn't accommodate your shock preference for this frame?
I'm gonna take a jab at this convo as well.

I am all for standards and interchangeability with our bikes, but I think in the new demo's case some new progress has been made that will cause some people to get all bent out of shape but I think its for the best. If I could afford a new bike, I would be all over this ride like a cheap suit. Between BB30, non-DU shock mounting, dialed geo, etc etc. I know the haters love to jump all over the big bad S, but I think they scored on this one.

An interesting possible scenario for the yokes would be if you could send your Fox one back to specialized in exchange for a different one if it is unused. Even better though, is I can see a market coming out for custom machined yokes once these bikes hit the market and people can measure specs.

Huck_Finn

Chimp
Jul 4, 2009
Just got word that the Demo framesets are shipping in the US. Mine went out yesterday. Should be at the shop on the 27th. Merry Christmas to me! :)

CA_Descender

Chimp
Nov 18, 2007
Simi, CA
Just got word that the Demo framesets are shipping in the US. Mine went out yesterday. Should be at the shop on the 27th. Merry Christmas to me! :)

I do not post up here very often (almost never, I just lurk a lot) but being pretty stoked on the new frame I can confirm this statement. Picked my frame set up yesterday.

Hey I have a new 2011 demo on the way, and I just had a few questions for anyone who might have one.

I have heard from multiple people that you cant run an 8 inch rotor in the rear because it comes way too close to rubbing on the frame, so you have to run a 185 rotor. any truth to this?

And I ordered just the frame, so does it come with a headset? I talked to specialized about it but they werent really very helpful when it came to telling me what if any headset was included with the frame.

And If it doesnt come with a headset, would a cane creek XX Flush 2 reducer Headset work? I know its a 1.5 but it looked like kind of a weird fit in pictures.

thanks
I run 185 but if I find a 203 in the garage I'll let you know how it fits.

The frame showed up with a semi-integrated reducer headset, cups installed, a Thompson post and a bb adapter so you can run something other then a BB30 if you want.

Last edited:

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
I do not post up here very often (almost never, I just lurk a lot) but being pretty stoked on the new frame I can confirm this statement. Picked my frame set up yesterday.

I run 185 but if I find a 203 in the garage I'll let you know how it fits.

The frame showed up with a semi-integrated reducer headset, cups installed, a Thompson post and a bb adapter so you can run something other then a BB30 if you want.
That looks pretty tall, what size is that?

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
well I sold the last large 2011 Demo 8 frame available here this season (from the Feb shipment) in the UK on Wednesday

I got to say, its a really dialled design and you can tell Specialized went to town on the production tooling and manufacturing expenses as its been really well thought through in every single aspect of the design

the shock mount, geometry adjust in the shock tail, incredible tubeset, narrower width rear stays (which does mean nothing larger than 185mm rotor), lack of pockets to gather mud, the BB30 shell with adapter, seriously short head tube, ISCG 05 chain device mounts = dialled for sure :)

we've got a medium frame hanging on the wall of our shop, probably not for long as they are pretty much sold out of medium frames at Specialized UK too...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Anybody know any specifics about the BB30-DH? Do the Descendant cranks that come in the complete bikes have a 30mm spindle? What's the width of the BB shell?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Lets play a game: who knows more about the new demo: Roel Koel, or Jason Chamberlin, the designer of the new demo.

narrower width rear stays (which does mean nothing larger than 185mm rotor),
The new Demo is 100% compatible with a 203 rotor in the rear.

Many of the earlier samples (which is mainly the only thing you are going to see pics of on the internet right now) had tight clearance, but that is all fixed for production. I bet you never heard that before :)

JC
Who's the bigger fool!

bikerfreak47

Chimp
Nov 15, 2005
belgium
Does anyone know what tune the new demo has??
Riding a stock fox right now, but want a vivid air on it.
As the shock has high, mid and low tunes, it's probably smart to put the right tune for the bike:-)

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
It should be the A Tune since the demo has a fairly low leverage, but it also depends on how you like your bike to feel and somewhat how heavy you are. I am planning on the same thing and i think i will take one with the A Tune. The recomended leverages for the different tunes should be listed somewhere.

bikerfreak47

Chimp
Nov 15, 2005
belgium
It should be the A Tune since the demo has a fairly low leverage, but it also depends on how you like your bike to feel and somewhat how heavy you are. I am planning on the same thing and i think i will take one with the A Tune. The recomended leverages for the different tunes should be listed somewhere.
The bike is an M and I weigh around 80kg, but I also heard that the shock doesn't have that much sag, not like a coil, so it stays higher in it's travel. So maybe it works beter with a B tune (if you like more sag) or try the A tune with lower pressure?!?!?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
It is the progressive nature of the air spring your talking of, the sag should still be around 30%. The air should be a little better at coping with big succesive hits than a coil but i doubt average joe will notice it to much. I think both a and b tunes should work, depending as i sad on how you ride and how you want your suspension to feel. The b tune will probably work best for a heavier rider who want a firm compression and slower rebound for a more stable feel. I think it would be better to ask push or tf tuned about suspension questions to get a correct answer.

Last edited:

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Does anyone know what tune the new demo has??
Riding a stock fox right now, but want a vivid air on it.
As the shock has high, mid and low tunes, it's probably smart to put the right tune for the bike:-)
Your best bet is to ask Rock Shox. They have done extensive testing and will know which tune from their stock offerings matches up the best.

Jason C

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Anybody know any specifics about the BB30-DH? Do the Descendant cranks that come in the complete bikes have a 30mm spindle? What's the width of the BB shell?
The new Descendant is a 22? mm spindle with threaded cups. You can use the Speshy adapter or SRAM makes one too.

The only true 30mm OSBB spindle we have seen so far is from The Hive/E.Thirteen. Not sure if it's available yet.

Jason C

Last edited:

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
I hate to start a ****-storm... But whats the reasoning in making the yoke good for only one specific shock, and than down the road comming out with after-market yokes to fit after-market shocks. Im sure the Fox RC4 that comes stock is plenty good for 99% of riders out there. What if a rider has sponsor obligations? or wants to run a different shock i.e.. CCDB, Elka, Avy. ?
In order to reach higher levels of performance, sometimes we have to break the mold and deviate from common standards.

It is nearly impossible for a frame designer to predict every after market component you might want to put on a bike. We are challenged just to make Shimano and Sram derailleurs fit sometimes!

Conversely, if an aftermarket maker wants to sell product, they have to make an effort to be compatible with common designs. The days when you could by a standard aftermarket shock and put it on your bike are fast closing.

The best scenario is when a shock maker offers a "Demo Specific" shock - complete with whatever eyelet, adapters, shimz and shock tune is required for the frame.

We are working closely with Rock Shox and Cane Creek to make aftermarket shocks available. No other shock companies are collaborating directly with us at the moment.

Jason C

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Since we are on the topic of compatibility, if you plan on putting a Fox 40 on your new Demo, be sure to check the parts box for a set of custom bumpers and installation instructions.

This will save you a call to customer service and get you on the trail faster.

Jason C

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The new Descendant is a 22? mm spindle with threaded cups. You can use the Speshy adapter or SRAM makes one too.

The only true 30mm OSBB spindle we have seen so far is from The Hive/E.Thirteen. Not sure if it's available yet.

Jason C
What BB would you run with the E-13 cranks? Is it an 83mm BB30 standard? I have only seen standards for 73mm BB30.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
e*thirteen cranks currently come with a standard 83mm BB which you thread into the adapter cups, but they are working on an 83mm direct pressfit cup, which will be available in the near future.
I have a couple pairs of E-13 cranks and the BB's but I was wondering about the pressfit BB standard for 83mm. I have only seen standards for 73mm.

Pressfit cup? Like the American BB standard?

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
The new Demo is 100% compatible with a 203 rotor in the rear.

Many of the earlier samples (which is mainly the only thing you are going to see pics of on the internet right now) had tight clearance, but that is all fixed for production. I bet you never heard that before

Lets play a game: who knows more about the new demo: Roel Koel, or Jason Chamberlin, the designer of the new demo.

Specialized in the States might want to let their people here in the UK (specialized UK) know about the production change to allow 203mm on the Demo 8 frame because they are still telling their UK dealers its 185mm only in the rear, and the production complete bike is coming with 185mm, compounding this mis-information

my apology for my "information" being incorrect after being informed of this specifically by...Specialized UK ;)

CA_Descender

Chimp
Nov 18, 2007
Simi, CA
Are they showing up early? They weren't due on the west until late Jan. I hope mine shows up soon.
They should be out on the East coast. What they will do, and this is from someone at Specialized, if a shop ordered one as a floor model and another shop has an actual paid buyer they "may" take the frame/bike from the one shop and send it to the one with the buyer so a floor model headed to the East side might be diverted to the West. Granted that shop would need to be on good terms with their rep as well.

I have a couple pairs of E-13 cranks and the BB's but I was wondering about the pressfit BB standard for 83mm. I have only seen standards for 73mm.

Pressfit cup? Like the American BB standard?
The pressfit bb they are coming out with is a PF-30 for the BB30 frames. I was looking to get one but I need my ride up and going in a couple weeks so I will be using the adapter for now so I can run my Saints but may switch over to the e.13 cranks when available.

P30: Oversized 30mm plated-aluminum spindle with a proprietary polygon interface (DIN 32711-P3 EVO) and an external bottom bracket for 68/73mm or 83mm threaded shells

Last edited:

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i ordered my demo frame in early october, i was told it would be here in late october. i talked to the shop yesterday (east coast) and they said there is no sign of it coming. i know its not riding season or anything, but i also ordered a p3 frame, which i planned on using through out the winter, there is also no sign of that. maybe im just over anxious, but its starting to irritate me.