Quantcast

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
I don't have a proper shot of the frame/fork clearance, it's a friend's bike and he's since gone back to his Boxxer... All I've managed to find, is this.

Looking at the pic... Maybe it's because he's on a small frame and the down tube starts to curve too close?

Skip

Chimp
Jun 22, 2009
I have a 888 on my medium and had to run two spacers to stop the crown from hitting the top tube at full lock. There's less drop on the boxxer crown so it may be ok but I'd suggest fitting it together and then see if you have proper clearance. IMHO you don't need to worry about the distance between the crowns being too small.

Just wondering, is it ok to run the top crown of my boxxer directly above the headtube without a spacer?
Will there be an issue as the headtube is rather short and thus the distance between the top and lower crowns would be lesser.

Thanks!

wk1311

Chimp
Feb 21, 2012
Hi,

i think about to get customized decals for the boxxer in my black and red Demo 8 2012.

Perhaps any of you guys has customized decals with red for his black and red Demo 8 2011 or 2012 and can help me out to find the right type of red color (at example the RAL-code)?

I have some red color pattern here, but i cannot calibrate my LCD so the colors shown right.

Thanks lot!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Anyone 175-180lbs, with gear, on a new demo? I'm trying to figure out what spring to get before I have it built up. What spring rate are you running? Thanks -J

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
Anyone 175-180lbs, with gear, on a new demo? I'm trying to figure out what spring to get before I have it built up. What spring rate are you running? Thanks -J
depends on your shock, how fast you are and what you are riding.

for the most part.. i'd go 350 for ~30% sag.. 400 for ~25% sag.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
It's a cane creek double barrel, comes with a 400. I previously rode a Sunday with a Pushed DHX 3.0 and a 350lb spring for reference..

Last edited:

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Managed to get mine built up over the weekend.

Tyres are Schwalbe Hans Dampf/Maxxis Minion 3C Exo, depending on what I ride and not what's seen in the pic.
Cassette has since been swapped from a 9spd Dura Ace to a 9spd XT.
Headset was swapped out to a Hope Stepdown. With the Cane Creek pictured, the fork knobs just barely hit the downtube.
With the taller than normal A2C of the Vengeance, I had her sitting at 64HA in the picture above.
With the Minions installed, shop weight was 15.61kg, or roughly 34.4lbs.
A Boxxer and a zero stack lower headset cup is in the near future, but for now, I'll ride her as is. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hey Juan,

Off-topic, but how do you like your Hans Dampfs...? I have a set in the Trailstar compound and on my trail-bike they barely lasted 10 rides before the side-knobs had torn off. On a gravity-oriented bike I would have thought you put them through quite a bit of abuse. Any similar issues to report?

Sweet ride btw....

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
Can anyone gave me the e-mail from Jason C ?

Have some questions about the Specialized demo :)

Thanks

Hi Guys,

A friend has just got a Demo I with a Van RC. He wanted to put his RC4 in the bike but it does not fit!

I have spent quite a bit of time searching this thread (and others) and I cannot find any info on this incompatibility, which is strange.

Basically it appears that the Demo Fox shocks have an elongated rebound adjuster to clear the Demo's custom shock link/cradle. I know that the link/cradle is not compatible with all shocks, which is understandable, but also needing a custom Fox shock is a real PITA. More customised Spesh BS shockery!

Anyone done the upgrade and knows more details?

Is it a case of needing to send the shock away to Fox for customisation?

Any help and advice welcomed.

Thanks,

JT

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Isnt the adjuster removable? That has been the case with vivids which you can then adjust with a 2.5mm hex (i think it was 2.5 at least)

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Yes, the rebound knob is different on the Demo Fox versions. I imagine FOX can switch the knob pretty easily for you, but you'd have to ask them.

Jason C

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Anyone know if Cane Creek changed anything other that graphics with the OEM Specialized double barrels between 2012 and 2013? Getting ready to ep a new frame and they still have a few red/black/yellows or I can wait until the end of august when 2013s are in stock.Thanks

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Managed to get mine built up over the weekend.

Tyres are Schwalbe Hans Dampf/Maxxis Minion 3C Exo, depending on what I ride and not what's seen in the pic.
Cassette has since been swapped from a 9spd Dura Ace to a 9spd XT.
Headset was swapped out to a Hope Stepdown. With the Cane Creek pictured, the fork knobs just barely hit the downtube.
With the taller than normal A2C of the Vengeance, I had her sitting at 64HA in the picture above.
With the Minions installed, shop weight was 15.61kg, or roughly 34.4lbs.
A Boxxer and a zero stack lower headset cup is in the near future, but for now, I'll ride her as is. :D
What product did you use to strip the paint on that thing? Looks great

Yes, the rebound knob is different on the Demo Fox versions. I imagine FOX can switch the knob pretty easily for you, but you'd have to ask them.

Jason C
They can change it alright, requires the distributor to have the special part, a shock rebuild, and the associated costs.

After years of custom specialized shocks I though you guys had finally seen sense, especially on a DH bike (shock issues more likely).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hi Guys,

A friend has just got a Demo I with a Van RC. He wanted to put his RC4 in the bike but it does not fit!

I have spent quite a bit of time searching this thread (and others) and I cannot find any info on this incompatibility, which is strange.

Basically it appears that the Demo Fox shocks have an elongated rebound adjuster to clear the Demo's custom shock link/cradle. I know that the link/cradle is not compatible with all shocks, which is understandable, but also needing a custom Fox shock is a real PITA. More customised Spesh BS shockery!

Anyone done the upgrade and knows more details?

Is it a case of needing to send the shock away to Fox for customisation?

Any help and advice welcomed.

Thanks,

JT
Fox can change it. or you can simply do what i did with a stock shock and cut off the knob and slot it for a screwdriver. You'll probably boil the oil in it tho.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
What product did you use to strip the paint on that thing? Looks great
Thanks, it was just some generic brand paint stripper I bought off the shelf in my local(I'm from Singapore) DIY store. You might want to do a search online for what others, in your part of the world, have used before. There are loads of posts with suggestions for brands I've never even heard off, or seen in my local stores.

Single crown. Really? Why? Let me know how the envelope feels.
I am broke, plain and simple. Looking at the A2C of the Vengeance(560mm) VS the A2C of a Boxxer(568-571mm(?)), I thought I'd be able to get away with it for the time being. So far, so good. It does feel just a tiny weird, popping off steep lips, but meh, I've gotten used to it and adapted. I will be swapping out to a Boxxer real soon, though.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Any :monkey: here with broken shocks on the new Demo? 4 friends of mine are rocking 2012 Demos, 3 of them with CCDB, one of them with an Elka.
The dude with the Elka broke the piston rod after 2 months.
One of them broke a CCDB and two Vivid air in a 2011 frame and got replaced the frame. Now he trashed another CCDB.
Another one destroyed his CCDB after 6 months of riding and went through a lent RC2 in two weeks.
They all broke the piston rod.
Now he waits for a new frame.

I think the yoke on that bike is a real shock trasher. To much force on the shock They seem to have a serious alignment problem on this bike too. Anyone else with same expiriences?

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Any :monkey: here with broken shocks on the new Demo? 4 friends of mine are rocking 2012 Demos, 3 of them with CCDB, one of them with an Elka.
The dude with the Elka broke the piston rod after 2 months.
One of them broke a CCDB and two Vivid air in a 2011 frame and got replaced the frame. Now he trashed another CCDB.
Another one trashed his CCDB after 6 months of riding and went through a lent RC2 in two weeks.
They all trashed the piston rod.
Now he waits for a new frame.

I think the yoke on that bike is a real shock trasher. To much force on the shock They seem to have a serious alignment problem on this bike too. Anyone else with same expiriences?
a friend of mine broke his and the spring on my shock started rubbing on the shock body. i changed the bearings on the rear triangle and the rubbing disappeared and everything worked fine again. mmy friend also said that the bearings on his bike were long overdue to be changed (before the shock broke) and maybe (M A Y B E ) some stuck bearings could ( C O U L D ) be the reason for breaking the shocks.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
The thing is, they absolutely LOVE their bikes. So lube is no problem :-)

Na, the dude that destroyed 3 shocks on that frame started the season on an Aurum (because his old Demo frame failed that much), which changed the owner over night.
So he had to buy a new bike.
Broke the CCDB after one month (= 4 weekends).

I definitely don't think that the bearings were the problem.

Skip

Chimp
Jun 22, 2009
Anyone who is running Saint, Race Face or FSA cranks tried out the new Race Race PF30 to 24mm bb/adapter?
I've been running the adaptor bb since February and it works great. So far no creaking, and no sign of bearing issues despite a couple of race weekends and a dozen full whistler days.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
The thing is, they absolutely LOVE their bikes. So lube is no problem :-)

Na, the dude that destroyed 3 shocks on that frame started the season on an Aurum (because his old Demo frame failed that much), which changed the owner over night.
So he had to buy a new bike.
Broke the CCDB after one month (= 4 weekends).

I definitely don't think that the bearings were the problem.
Bearings were swapped a couple f weeks ago, old ones were fine when removed and it was just done out of due diligence.

Rode down the last rock roll on Detroit rock city as that's where this weeks phat Wednesday is finishing, bike made a crack and didn't sit back up.

Not sure what to do now, trying to find receipts and proof of purchase!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think you may be a candidate to jump on this train, drop in to Fanatyk:
http://canecreek.com/products/suspension/lounge/chatter/cane-creek-rider-support-program-rsp

Good luck with it. I would think that your scenario is exactly the kind of thing this is supposed to address, so I'd be surprised if you didn't get looked after. If I remember right, they may even give you a shock to get you going while the old one is sorted out, or do a similar trade to minimize downtime.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Yep, already been to WVS and Fanatik, need POP if I want to try and claim anything on warranty so trying to dig that out. I believe Fanatik are currently all out of shocks, which shows how popular that scheme is!

Currently looking at my Vivid Air/Stoy Air/TTX options and I think I may have found a VanR for $50 for a buddy, which will get me riding if it fits in my yolk.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
Bearings were swapped a couple f weeks ago, old ones were fine when removed and it was just done out of due diligence.

Rode down the last rock roll on Detroit rock city as that's where this weeks phat Wednesday is finishing, bike made a crack and didn't sit back up.

Not sure what to do now, trying to find receipts and proof of purchase!

/QUOTE]
Call Cane Creek. When it happened to me they sent me a new shock with a thicker shaft no questions asked.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
To update, I took it to Fanatyk with my reciept and they gave me a freshly serviced, refurbished shock with the upgraded shaft free of charge. My shock will be sent off and fixed and then the next person to come in with an issue will get it.

Shock back on my bike in just over 24hours after the breakage!

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Did anyone ever evaluate whether there is a reason to run the CDDB in the Demo w/ spherical bearings?
This came to my mind when seeing this article on sicklines:
http://www.sicklines.com/2013/11/27/ohlins-ttx-22m-specialized-2014-setup-and-servicing-details/

This may reduce the chance of the broken CCDB shaft that seem to hapen quite frequently on the Demos.
I am not entirely sure that this can be done on ccdb and demo due to dimensional constrains. Does anyone have first-hand experience with this?