Quantcast

2011 Devinci Wilson DH

mrmcgoose

Chimp
Mar 26, 2010
when are we likely to see this bike come out, ive heard rumors that they would be out this summer???

*Pepe*

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
Vancouver, BC
the ISCG tabs are replaceable and are part of a 'ring' that is mounted onto the spline before the BB cup is installed. clever system devinci has been pioneering for the past 6 or so years, imho.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Seems like more and more frames are going to 8" of travel and quite a few are also running the mega 10.5" shock. I know this lowers the leverage ratio but it seems the benefit of that in this range is more theoretical than actually realized. Personally, if I have to pay for the extra weight of that shock I would rather get 9" of travel and still have a relatively low leverage ratio.

Any way, I am not knocking this frame or design (I haven't ridden it yet so I can't say it doesn't work, I am just sayin'), it still looks like it is going to be pretty bad-azz.

bradflyn

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
Washington
we still don't know the results of the lawsuit/agreement between ABP and SP. Supposedly they were developed independently at the same time...will be interesting to see the results.
They probably all gave up after they found out can not patent an idea that has already been shown to the public. Before DW or Trek, to promote the Gboxx, Nicolai showed off drawings of bike types using the G-boxx and one type is split pivot.

so thanks to Nicolai...trek and dw can save money on patents and don't have to fight .just a good idea for all.

Attachments

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
They probably all gave up after they found out can not patent an idea that has already been shown to the public. Before DW or Trek, to promote the Gboxx, Nicolai showed off drawings of bike types using the G-boxx and one type is split pivot.

so thanks to Nicolai...trek and dw can save money on patents and don't have to fight .just a good idea for all.
LOL

You make me laugh man, what a stretch.. You know that I personally designed the GBOXX standard, right? No apparently not..

The Nicolai is clearly a flex stay design, and I know this because I WORKED ON THE THING MYSELF.

Anyways, seeing as you have 12 posts all about Split Pivot, how about a couple posts about this here patent? http://split-pivot.com/Weagle%20Split%20Pivot%20Patent%207717212.pdf

More coming too, I promise.

Getting up on the hill on the real thing in about 30 minutes, it's been a blast so far.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
but, how the hell am I supposed to choose the right bike for 2011, there are too many!

ok, spam :)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Seen. That's ace, nice and clean!

Oh and DW come on man, we need a gearbox bike! Make it happen ;)
sounds like those activities had been abandoned, which makes me sad. curious what the 'mysterybox' from a few years ago was all about.

we've got suspension designs pretty well sorted now, and with bike weights hovering around the mid 30's we've got a bit of room for adding a bit of weight. i want to see the big brains go after the derailleur now.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Its been said before - but thankyou DW for posting. Its people with real knowledge that keep this forum above the "too flexy, needz moar root beer flavoured shimz level".

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
LOL

You make me laugh man, what a stretch.. You know that I personally designed the GBOXX standard, right? No apparently not..

The Nicolai is clearly a flex stay design, and I know this because I WORKED ON THE THING MYSELF.

Anyways, seeing as you have 12 posts all about Split Pivot, how about a couple posts about this here patent? http://split-pivot.com/Weagle%20Split%20Pivot%20Patent%207717212.pdf

More coming too, I promise.

Getting up on the hill on the real thing in about 30 minutes, it's been a blast so far.
Dave now I'm curious... how many patents do you own at this point? I first met you.... in 2000 I think? Back at the start of Evil? I feel like there are at least 3 or 4 new ones we hear about each year. You've been busy.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I don't mind the look....
Low slung...and the obvious advantage of carrying the wt. of the shock, etc. lower in the frame.
Being a short rider the curved tubes and low(er) standover is key for me.
Measurements not much different in the small from the 2010 horst WLSN. Except for slightly shorter CS which is a plus in my book.

Disadvantages...
Price tag likely to come with a frame like this. (for me, anyway.)
And, any DW Link and/or Split Piv looks to be a PIA to work on....

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
If it is like previous Devinci frames, it uses a splined adaptor that goes beneath the drive-side BB cup - look at the third pic around the BB.
The design is slick.... and SOLID. Have loved it on my Devinci made Sinister Gruitr...
Can't understand why others haven't adopted their own versions of the design.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The design is slick.... and SOLID. Have loved it on my Devinci made Sinister Gruitr...
Can't understand why others haven't adopted their own versions of the design.
Foes finally went away from their proprietary chainguides and went to a splined adapter similar to this.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Where do you make the adjustments for "hi" and "lo" setting on the frame? At the shock eye perhaps?
There was a pic earlier that showed that there was a flip chip where the seatstays join to the chainstays. Using the mount closest to the front triangle will result in higher BB/steeper head angle, and the opposite for the other mounting point.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
i was kinda thinking thats what it was using. i didnt know the previous models used the adapter.
It did use it.

Switch from ISCG to 05....
Bend a tab or something when using a taco bash? Replaceable.
It's a win/win.
No play in the design either. Only fits on one way. Like a keyed cut out.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If it is like previous Devinci frames, it uses a splined adaptor that goes beneath the drive-side BB cup - look at the third pic around the BB.

This is ****ing awesome. With the current retarded trend of mounting a bashguard directly to the frame, I can only hope more manufacturers adopt a system similar to this.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Looks like an excellent design to me. But I don't like the tube profiles. Concave? That undermines the inherent strength advantages of a round tube. And all that silly hydroforming is just adding weight.

As an aside, I had an old square tubed K2 that I t-boned into a dirt bank. The square downtube folded like an accordion. I'm not sure that would have happened with a round tube.