Quantcast

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I wouldn't be surprised if it did have something to do with the ABP design. My saints have been flawless since day 1, but others have had squealing issues. The "floating" link of the suspension may be under two different frequencies or tensions or something, causing/allowing resonance.

Best bet is to face the tabs then follow the advice of session riders and alternate pad material.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
WBC- I see you're in the PNW, the next time you're in Bellingham you should try dropping your bike by Fanatik, talk to Ashlon, I'm sure that guy can fix anything. If he can't then he'll at least tell you a good story about it. If he's not around maybe try Earl's or DNZ. There is no shortage of good shops in that town and I'm sure one of them can help you with facing the brake tabs like Fraser recommended.
WBC is fanatic....

You all are just a bunch of haters....

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
WBC is fanatic....

You all are just a bunch of haters....
I was. I'm asking for a close friend that rides for dnz whom doesn't have an account. No affiliations related to my question though.

And I know more than enough about facing brake tabs, etc. I appreciate people trying to help and there's great info in here for those suffering from brake noise, but I really am just concerned about first hand accounts.

Thanks!

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
If all else fails, take the big flat bumper off a bmx grip and zip tie it to the rotor around the hub interface. This will absorb and kill vibration. It's a bit ugly, but worked like a charm on an old bike project of mine:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
seriously? you're one of the first people on these bikes while it's still winter for MOST of the people on this website, and you're going to disregard any help that's being offered outside of the extreme few mostly sponsored riders who already own this bike and have identical brake setups, rotors, and wheels as you, none of which are experiencing the same problems?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
seriously? you're one of the first people on these bikes while it's still winter for MOST of the people on this website, and you're going to disregard any help that's being offered outside of the extreme few mostly sponsored riders who already own this bike and have identical brake setups, rotors, and wheels as you, none of which are experiencing the same problems?
Well, that came out poorly on my part. I tried to make it clear that I appreciate everyone trying to help, I was just trying to move past people telling me I need to face the tabs over and over again. It's great advice, and it's one of the first things I did to loud bikes when I worked in the shop, but my question is a little more specific in that I'm curious just about peoples' first hand experience with the sp/abp bikes.

All that said, my buddy is going for it, he's going to crush me at the races noisy brakes or not, and I'm happily riding a nearly silent makulu!

Wasn't trying to be a prick, thanks for all the feedback, and on the east vs west thing...east vs west is timeless. Biggie and pac. The fact that I called you out for riding trials and dropping to flat in central park should make the east coasters bite back at the west, not get butthurt. It's a rivalry, not victimization! And besides, this whole thread is about a west coaster buying an east coast bike!! It's supposed to be ironic and funny! Gahhhh!

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Vajason will shred on the Devinci! I want to see swim trunks on the pro podium. No goggles, no gloves, repping hard.

Last edited:

fattrick

Chimp
Jun 19, 2011
Dear WBC, have you been able to find a solution to the break squeal. I just bought a 2011 devinci wilson and hooked up my saints to it. It squeal like a dying pig. The whole frame vibrate under braking. Hope to find a solution for this annoying problem. These brakes where on my previous bike and never had any problem with them.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Dear WBC, have you been able to find a solution to the break squeal. I just bought a 2011 devinci wilson and hooked up my saints to it. It squeal like a dying pig. The whole frame vibrate under braking. Hope to find a solution for this annoying problem. These brakes where on my previous bike and never had any problem with them.
I've been on a Wilson for a few months now with zero brake squeal. Saint brakes w/stock pads and Shimano rotors. What's your setup?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Dear Dogboy,

I was experiencing some brake squeal yesterday with the Saints on my TR450. I was thinking it might be because my bike is a single pivot, but I'm not sure. Please help...

Additional information that may be helpful - my bike is red & white, and I do not have any vestigial nipples.

Thanks

fattrick

Chimp
Jun 19, 2011
I've been on a Wilson for a few months now with zero brake squeal. Saint brakes w/stock pads and Shimano rotors. What's your setup?
Wilson SL, shimano saint M810/metallic brake pads with 8 inch rotors. I swapped the pads for new ones. I will test them out in a week or two.

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
have a wilson, had bad squeal riding an 8 inch rotor in California so when i got back i put on a 7 inch rotor and the squealing was almost all gone. also the frame comes only faced on the outside i think so check the back side of the brake mount to check if there is paint there and if there is remove it (i had to and it helped). i am using avid elixers

I'm trying to get one of these (xp) and I'm just wondering how the ride is?
HOw does it compare to the Session? It looks like it may be a bit more active (for lack of a better term) and just hug the ground like the Trek does.
I don't care about brake noise, as long as they work. Lots better than yelling ahead 'rider!'...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
have a trek session 88 with the same issue. I and a friend have had some luck running one metallic, one organic pad. Might be worth a shot.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I knew Devinci's new Wilson Brakes were gona be garbage............not up to the insane riding on the west coast..........we don't even need brakes on the east coast so we're good to go. Better trade the Wilson for a M9 or V-10 they have Epic super gnar brakes. I beg you not not bash me with your amazing internet comback skilllzzz.....
Gold.

You should take a trip to Mont St Anne, pretty sure thats considered East Coast, or even Newfoundland. Maybye you wont need your brakes as much on those.

Hey man, heres a simple trouble shooting method to figure out your issue. Ride the bike in a straight line, if your brakes are squealing, remove them and ride it in the exact same straight line. If the Squealing goes away, its still for sure your brakes so you need to change them asap.

fattrick

Chimp
Jun 19, 2011
Gold.

Hey man, heres a simple trouble shooting method to figure out your issue. Ride the bike in a straight line, if your brakes are squealing, remove them and ride it in the exact same straight line. If the Squealing goes away, its still for sure your brakes so you need to change them asap.
Nice try bro! They squeal when you brake and not in the static position.

Anybody contacted the manufacturer Devinci to see what they have to say about this?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Oh whatever... Everybody whose anybody knows full well that mt.st.anne is the most weaksauce track on the world cup circuit.

Know why they ended the NORBA national series? Because it passed through Crystal Mt, Schweitzer, and Snoqualmie, and motherfu<kers were getting broke off. Shaums broke his neck at snoqualmie (twice?), and that's our lamest mountain!

As far as the Wilson goes, I started this thread for a bud, and since then, 3 friends are riding Wilsons without issue (and I think without Saint brakes). The guy with Saints that we first asked about I THINK is riding one organic, one metal, and solved his problem.

If I had the money to buy any new frame, I'd get a zerode, but the Wilson is right next on my list! Amazing riding bike.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Everyone whos anyone knows that Mount St Anne is the weakest track on the circuit? That must be why they keep hosting the World Cups their every year. Have you ever ridden on the East Coast? I dont think anyone here is denying the gnar level of the West Coast but saying St Anne is the weakest sauce track proves a lot I think.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Lol, WBC, you are an ogre.

I dig it.

Sometimes my breaks squeal a bit, i just soak everything in rubbing alcohol and it seems to fix everything.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Everyone whos anyone knows that Mount St Anne is the weakest track on the circuit? That must be why they keep hosting the World Cups their every year. Have you ever ridden on the East Coast? I dont think anyone here is denying the gnar level of the West Coast but saying St Anne is the weakest sauce track proves a lot I think.
The world cups also go to Canberra.

The only thing gnarly about MSA is the antibiotic-resistant syphilis the local talent all seems so happy to share...

But even that is analogous to the entire east coast's riding...trying to make something out of what's fundamentally nothing. If the local talent was really gnar (like riding on the west coast), their gifts would be viral, as un-treatable as our massive mountains are un-tamable.

fattrick

Chimp
Jun 19, 2011

The only thing gnarly about MSA is the antibiotic-resistant syphilis the local talent all seems so happy to share...

But even that is analogous to the entire east coast's riding...trying to make something out of what's fundamentally nothing. If the local talent was really gnar (like riding on the west coast), their gifts would be viral, as un-treatable as our massive mountains are un-tamable.
You just don't know when to shut up mate! Stop the drama and back to topic or just go post on your gay uncle west coast thread aight?

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Sooo....anyone with a 2011 Wilson review...
well, I got to ride a Wilson SP for a day in absolutely sh*tty weather here in the UK in Wales

the bike was fitted with Specialized Storm DH tires which helped alot as I was riding in the mud and rain, down some very slippery DH runs with an vehicle uplift service taking me back up the mountain each time

bike was insane - never experienced such a solid feeling long travel bike (this is coming from a previous owner of several Banshee Screams!)

no hint of flex anywhere, and could ride standing up hammering the pedals without suspension bobbing, which was very refreshing after having owned a number of the FSR-style Devincis and Specialized in the past

no issues with the brakes squealing - the bike had Elixir CRs with 203mm rotors front and rear?

talking of brakes, could lock up the back brake and still grab mad traction on wet roots and chutes so the SP active braking is for real

overall, very impressed with the Wilson SP, I'd love to own one, but don't have anywhere to regularly ride such a beast!!

so ended up buying the Devinci Dixon Split-Pivot all mountain bike :)

which feels like a mini DH bike with my Fox 36 Float set at 150mm giving 66.5 HA, 23" top tube and short (16.8") chainstays with 142mm x 12mm axle giving a very direct / snappy ride feel, its sub 30lb with sensible build

f*cking awesome bike, blows away my Devinci Hectik (FSR) and Specialized Enduro with no doubt

Lions

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Big yellow land

You wear a flat-brimmed hat, don't you?

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Got my new Wilson to the lifts today and unfortunately, I'm having the same brake issue. Right when you grab the rear brake for some real power it howls and vibrates the entire frame. I believe the vibrations also robs a lot of the power.

Running saint brakes with 8 inch rotors and metal pads. I'm going to try one resin and one metal pad for the rear.