Quantcast

2011 Devinci Wilson SP

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Looking at the Wilson frame I see that it's not optimized for braking as other split pivot designs. On split pivot as described by DW and Treks ABP, chainstay is optimized for pedaling and setastay with rocker is optimized for braking. On Wilson, seatstay (which also holds the brake caliper) is connected directly to frame (has one pivot at the rear hub and second on the frame), just like single pivot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for me this looks like big marketing game "Our design is unique and different"

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Looking at the Wilson frame I see that it's not optimized for braking as other split pivot designs. On split pivot as described by DW and Treks ABP, chainstay is optimized for pedaling and setastay with rocker is optimized for braking. On Wilson, seatstay (which also holds the brake caliper) is connected directly to frame (has one pivot at the rear hub and second on the frame), just like single pivot.

its hard to see in the photo, but the brake caliper is located correctly for active braking with the Split-Pivot concentric dropout (remember, this Devinci was designed by DW working closely with Devinci, and DW test rode all the prototypes to do the shock-tune and fine setup)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for me this looks like big marketing game "Our design is unique and different"
correction, the brake is connected to the chainstay, but is located above the seatstay, if that makes sense. Basically the mounts are extended. You may have to check out other photos to see it.

I don't know how it works exactly (vector forces and whatever), but I imagine it's optimized the same way trek and the other protos are optimized.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
correction, the brake is connected to the chainstay, but is located above the seatstay, if that makes sense. Basically the mounts are extended. You may have to check out other photos to see it.

I don't know how it works exactly (vector forces and whatever), but I imagine it's optimized the same way trek and the other protos are optimized.
I didn't see the droputs detail. Now its clear to me.

Thanks

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Looks good in red.

EDIT: def. a different design, I like how the shock/rocker link(dunno what else to call it) is located by the bb, def seems different for a SP bike..

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Great interview DW... would love to give one of these a go sometime.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
my boss (Devinci UK distributor - Freeborn Bikes) is currently at Interbike in Las Vegas with Devinci and DW, and will come back to the UK next week with all the correct info

DW's geo info in the PB video is contradictory of the Devinci geometry charts, but they have been making subtle adjustments to the geo and sizing, so the Devinci geometry charts may be outdated!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i hope that we see them change the numbers as per what's been discussed in this thread. I'd love to know that friggin RM has some sort of an impact on manufacturer's product design.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Hey guys. The geometry on the Wilson had changed since I got the geo chart that was in the article. It has been updated with the new numbers straight from Devinci. You can see it here.

Bike looked very impressive in person. I'm not a fan of swoopy or curvy, but WOW. They also had the all-mountain and XCish bike out for people to see. If we get a chance I'll get some more info on those as well.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Man that promo videos makes me want the Wilson too..but at the end of the video my wife said.....

"Babe, that guy is a pro, he can ride like that on a huffy"...lol

i then agreed.... amazing looking bike though...

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
pricing has not yet been confirmed

we currently sell the 2010 Wilson FSR at GBP£1500 here in the UK

we are expecting the 2011 Wilson SP to be around the GBP£2000 in the UK, which makes it super competitive with other DH frames

should be able to confirm this next week ;)

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
to give an idea of GBP comparative pricing on other manufacturers DH frames in the UK (all with Fox shock) against the Wilson SP

2010 SC V-10 (£2,600 colour, £2850 anodised)

2010 Orange 224 Evo (£2,100)

2010 Empire AP-1 (£2,660)

2011 SBC Demo 8 (£2,200)

2010 Transition TR450 (£1,900)

2010 Intense (£2,600)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's cool. Well, I hope it hits a competitive price point, because I'd like to buy one...but if it's trying to compete with the ludicrously expensive other frames out there, I'll buy a something else or save my pennies for a better frame...