Quantcast

2011 East Coast Downhill schedule

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
I would skip Killington unless you've ridden there previously. There are plenty of great riding spots still open that are more active in the scene. We don't know what the trail is like, and I can say from experience that the trails available there for the most part aren't that crazy fun.
Bromont and whiteface are both open during the week at that time, and are both not too far from pkill or killington or anywhere else. Highland, and plattekill are not. I would try to get a mid-summer trip planned where you can spend a day or two at highland and plattekill on either weekend, then get diablo, whiteface, bromont, and if time is there, jiminy or attitash where possible.

that double-sucks. Which will you do, or is that not publicly answerable? I might check out the pat's peak race, since it sounds pretty cool and the trails get clapped out at highland around races.
I dunno I disagree, not my favorite place to ride but if you explore and get to know your way around the mountain there are some really great flowy fast trails - long too. The mountain is huge, the gondola is fast, its open during the week and cost $25 bucks or somthing real cheap for a ticket - thats enough of a scene for me. Just try and find someone that knows their way around.

I guess we dont know what the course will be like but its from the top and I'm sure will be pretty damn fun - beauty and the beast was always such a sick race back in the day.

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
That's just how they feel. Pat's Peak has this weekend set specifically for the race. They have the summer scheduled long in advance for weddings almost every weekend. I hear ya John, it sucks for me as Highland is one of my sponsors and I built the course at Pat's. :(
Mad props to you man on building a kick ass course :thumb: I went up there last year for the first time because everyone who has raced there before me always told me how much fun pats peak was. I've already planned out another trip up there for 2010. Me and Jager man will be camping out again fingers crossed that it wont rain so much this year.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
I hear Mount Snow is getting their schedule together, wish they could have gotten a GES race.

And how about Sunday River and any rumblings over at Catamount or Jiminy or West.

I also heard somewhere Bromont may have something up their sleeve.

I wonder if the GES is set in stone?

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
Have they ever done any races at Jiminy? I've never been there and dont really know why because its only about 30 minuets from me but I've never heard of any racing happening there. Good to hear the mount snow series will be out soon.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I would try to get a mid-summer trip planned where you can spend a day or two at highland and plattekill on either weekend, then get diablo, whiteface, bromont, and if time is there, jiminy or attitash where possible.
Probably will be late summer so I have enough time to recover from my potentially multiple surgeries and get in shape. I'll need a weekend or 2(or 3?) of northstar and mammoth to build up the endurance.

Thinking whiteface for sure, bromont looks pretty solid too. Do they run lifts during the week? Or weekend only?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
As far as I know, they ran the lifts on weekdays last summer. They may stop running a certain lift, but I doubt it, and the main lift gives access to plenty of trails, enough to easily compete with any other east coast mountain. Whiteface would be worth the look especially because you were talking about enduro DH in another thread...those trails will definitely test your mettle.

MM Freak- they did some collegiate races at jiminy before, and for some reason I thought they did have a series race, maybe I'm mistaken. It's worth a look if it's only 30 minutes from home. I've driven there to ride on a day trip and it's 2.5 hrs from me! The trails are all natural and a little blown out but there are some very steep sections and it's actually a lot of fun. Not too many riders either so you have free reign.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
IH8rice:

you have to add the Mt Snow race dates.

I wish this could be stickied for us East Coasters

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
I'm assuming these are correct -

Downhill Series Event #1
06/05/2010 - 06/06/2010
We kick off the summer of mountain bike action with our first of eight weekends of racing. Our first weekend features downhill racing action. Our downhill series this year will feature three races at Mount Snow and five at Plattekill – New York.

This year look for the same great racing off Mount Snow's Canyon Express Quad. Our first event of the season usually features a ton of mud!!! Make sure you bring many, many tear offs.

Downhill Series Event #2
06/26/2010 - 06/27/2010
Stop #2 of our downhill series and as always registration is open all day Saturday for our downhill racers. Look for a change in course and great prizes for our winners.

Mountain Bike Festival
07/24/2010 - 07/25/2010
The Mount Snow Mountain Bike Festival weekend features race #3 of the downhill series and the Root 66 cross country stop. As well stop by and visit vendor tents, group rides and kids activities.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Will there be DS or 4x races at the Gravity East this summer? Can't seem to get the info on the website.

And same question, but regarding the Platty series??

Thanks!

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Whiteface will be adding a Super D race to their Gravity East Race. However, only the dh will count towards any GE Points.

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
I agree its disappointing that there is no gated racing as part of the GES series but it is a matter of logistics and resources - which they want to focus on DH. You need additional resources and people to manage a gated racing series - which are just not available.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
I agree its disappointing that there is no gated racing as part of the GES series but it is a matter of logistics and resources - which they want to focus on DH. You need additional resources and people to manage a gated racing series - which are just not available.
Promoters will contine to support events that are profitable. With the lack of ds/4x racers it is not even close. The only way it will suceed in the east is to get the DH'ers interested and the only way to do that is to make the courses BIG. The problem then becomes the few existing gated racers will complain and the cost skyrockets.

I vote for a return to grass gated old school DS.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
Its Funny to hear the Mt Snow people complain about having to do races at Platty and the Platty people complain about Mt Snow........These mountains have been in it for the long haul and they have joined together to form a strong partnership and support each other.....We should support them. You don't have to race the entire 8 races...just need 4 at platty and 2 at Snow.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Still finalizing series prizes and a few other things. But for now this much is official.

2010 Eastern States Cup Series Dates:
#1 May 21/23 Plattekill – Pro/Am Gravity Tour - UCI Points – Jr World Team Qualifier
#2 June 5/6 Mount Snow – Welcome Back race
#3 June 26/27 Mount Snow – USAC VT State Championship
#4 July 3/5 Plattekill - Gravity East Series Race
#5 July 24/25 Mount Snow – Mountain Bike Festival – Rte 66 XC Race
#6 Aug 21/22 Plattekill – Pre World Cup Event
#7 Sep 18/19 Plattekill – USAC NY State Championship
#8 Oct 9/10 Plattekill – Series Finals

Race Fees:
$45 Cat3(beginner) Top 3 Medals and Prize
$50 Cat2(sport) Top 3 Medals and Cash and Prize ($5/Racer)
$60 Cat1(expert) Top 3 Medals and Cash and Prize ($10/Racer)
$70* USAC Pro Top 3 Medals and Cash ($20/Racer Minimum)

*$85 USAC pro Race #1 $1575 M & W Total Pro Purse Includes Friday Lift Ticket
*$85 USAC pro Race #4 $1000 GES Purse Includes Friday Lift Ticket

All race entries include a 2-day lift ticket.

Prizes:
CASH 3 deep for series races
$20 minimum per racer entry in the Pro class, $10 per racer entry to all Cat1 classes and $5 per racer entry to all Cat2 classes. Split on the following percentage ratio 55/30/15. Cat1,Cat2 & Cat3 will receive high end sponsor-donated prizes as well. All classes will receive custom 2010 ‘Eastern States Cup’ Medals. Series prizes will pay cash 3 deep to Pros and cash to 1st place for Cat 1 and 2 in all age classes.

NEMA is also paying CASH to top three in ALL classes through The NEMA Cash Contingency Program. The plan will pay pros and Cat 1,2 & 3 CASH for those follow NEMA’s rules and list them as a sponsor on the race entry sheet.

www.plattekill.com www.mountsnow.com

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Maybe I was a little harsh... But I prefer to skip Mt Snow races unless theres a special event that draws more riders. A weekend there usually results in too much money spent, a destroyed set of wheels and not as much fun as I would have elsewhere. Plus you can't have bonfires, blow **** up and get drunk/rowdy in VT state parks.

I'm sure a lot of effort went into creating this partnership and I know its for the better. That being said I'll suck it up, hope for the best and go to all of the events.

Jul 15, 2009
AllDayinPA
Just a reminder for the riders who want to race/ride DS. We are holding 3 DS races this year along with 3 of the 5 DH events. There is also a 4x race at the end of the year. The DS track looks to be sicker than last year and we are running a TRUE DS format ! Couple picks of the one of the new and improved jump parks under construction.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Just a reminder for the riders who want to race/ride DS. We are holding 3 DS races this year along with 3 of the 5 DH events. There is also a 4x race at the end of the year. The DS track looks to be sicker than last year and we are running a TRUE DS format ! Couple picks of the one of the new and improved jump parks under construction.
No DS at the GE finals? Which races have DS? Oh yeah Pics?

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
Just to clarify, the #1 May 21/23 Plattekill and #4 July 3/5 Plattekill - Gravity East Series Race are $85 entry fee as a pro?

I realize that this includes a Friday lift ticket but for a lot of people that work on Friday and wont be able to make use of it, isn't this getting somewhat steep compared to the usual $65 entry? (that is advertised as not increasing)

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
You might add that the Canada Cup in Bromont (August 20-22) will also host the Canadian 4x champs on the same weekend.