Quantcast

2011 East Coast Downhill schedule

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Well its that time of year and I need to start planning my race/work schedule now just like everyone else. So lets get this year started and list the 2011 race schedule!

March- 5th Clemson DH Race
April- 29th-30th Massanutten YEE-HAAA DH race
May- 1st Plattekill's first race
May- 21-22nd Plattekill's UCI race
May- 27-30th US OPEN, Diablo
June- 11-12th Pats Peak Bike Fest
June- 17-19th Whiteface Bike Fest
July- 2-3rd MSA WC
July- 3-4th Plattekill's Independence Race
July- 9-10th Windham WC
September- 3-4th Plattekill's Labor Day race
September- 10-11th Whiteface 5k DH
September- 24-25th USA National Champs, Beech MTN, NC
October- 8-9th Plattekill Columbus Day Race

Last edited:

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
Pats Peak Bike Fest June 11th-12th
Windham WC July 9th-10th
USA National Gravity Championship September 24th-25th

Thats all I know at this point. I think the GES schedule should be out near the end of this month.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Please do not forget about the longest and gnarliest race on the east coast on 9-10/11:

Also in the works is the 2nd annual Wilmington/Whiteface Bike fest:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Mike what about this Super D I'm hearing about? when is that?
I would love to do that Super D but am leaning against it now. We did it last year and set a killer course that even included the Slickrock Trail. Whoooa! Anyone that hasn't ridden the Slickrock Trail @ Whiteface was in for a real treat! Then to the stream crossing. Total vertical descent was approx. 1,500 feet with under 100 feet of climbing. A solid 15 minute course that
showcased the best off the best @ Whiteface..

Unfortunately no one showed. Actually 2 guys showed up to race 15 minutes before the planned start. They raced against each other for fun.The event was permitted with USAC and we taped the entire course with over 40,000 feet of caution tape, using approx. 1,800 + wooden stakes. My guess is we put in over 150 man hours into that course and promotions.

We would do it again in a second if the racers wanted it. The bike festival that weekend will have well over 700 cyclists in town (if you count the roadies that are doing the uphill road race). One major concern I have; This early in the season many of the venues have not announced their dates for their dh races yet. My guess is someone will choose that date for their downhill race.

With all the improvements we did last year on the trails, that is where I think we should spend our money and time this year. We will go full out for the 5 K DH again this year so no worries for that one. The Whiteface 5 K Downhill a keeper! For the same expense as the sd race we could of had a few "more" truckloads of premium dirt brought in for berms. We did that last year, and Peter Mills went to town! Some trails at Whiteface looked totally different. Heck, I don't even know how to ride berms because we never had them before Peter worked for us.

Also, and to my surprise the majority of our customers are beginners. Many have never ridden downhill before, or even off road. Expect a buffed out lower mountain next year, and some more flow up top.

We will do what the customer wants.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Well its that time of year and I need to start planning my race/work schedule now just like everyone else. So lets get this year started and list the 2011 race schedule!

April- 29th-30th Massanutten YEE-HAAA DH race
June- 11th-12th Pats Peak Bike Fest
June- 17-19th Whiteface Bike Fest
July- 2nd-3rd MSA WC
July- 9th-10th Windham WC
September- 10th-11th Whiteface Gnarly DH
September- 24-25th USA National Champs, Beech MTN, NC
The Claymore Challenge is right after our bike fest on June 22nd-25th. That will be one to put on your list. Since our Kyle Ebbett & Friends Jump Jam is so close, we are hoping to get some national talent too.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Also, and to my surprise the majority of our customers are beginners. Many have never ridden downhill before, or even off road. Expect a buffed out lower mountain next year, and some more flow up top.

We will do what the customer wants.
It's somewhat terrifying to think about beginners riding the stuff off the top of the gondola.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Updated:

2011 Plattekill Bike Park DH Race Dates

5/22 Gravity Open - UCI Points Race
7/3 Independence Day Race
7/24 Mid-Summer Classic
9/4 Labor Day Race
10/9 Columbus Day Race

5/1 Work weekend

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
It's somewhat terrifying to think about beginners riding the stuff off the top of the gondola.
Beginners do not take the gondola to their trails. They use one of our shuttle buses. All expert trails from the gondola. But, that's our crowd, beginners. So for all of you that are too scared to ride Whiteface, just take our shuttle bus.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Sorry guys been to busy getting my GTL on to keep updating this thread. It's hard to check RM while at the gym getting my swell on or practicing beating the beat up. Angry Steve the stage is yours. See you guys at the races...