Quantcast

2011 Fox 40 not compatible with Zee M640/Saint M820?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Has anyone run into issues with mounting the new M820 Saint or Zee calipers on the 2011 Fit RC2 forks?

Fox was running that 51mm IS mount that took a 160mm adapter to work on a 200mm rotor in 2011. The issue that I have with the Saint/Zee caliper is that the new calipers now use 2 very large bolts to hold the caliper together versus the 4 smaller bolts the Saint M810's used. The upper-most of those 2 large bolts now sit right on top of the mounting tabs and I can't properly tighten or adjust the brakes without having to add spacers which lifts the caliper off the rotor. Are there any crazy offset adapters to make this work that I'm not aware of?

Ignore the grease, it'll be wiped away when I'm done.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I had a Saint M820 caliper mounted to a 2012 40 last year. It was just a matter of finding an adapter that would work without interference. When I get home this evening I'll try and dig up the one I was using for reference.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I don't recall the part number off hand but I've given the Hayes, Avid and Shimano 160mm adapters a try and each one the caliper bolt made contact with the mount before the caliper was able to seat.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the one i'm using on my saints (first gen 2 piston) is SM-MA-F160P/S. i know that doesn't help you, since that appears to be the one you're using.

shimano should have a solution, its only the brand new forks that are post mount, not IS.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
There is definitely a solution, I just can't remember exactly which adapter I used. Here's a pic for reference and I'll try and figure out which one I used after work.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Maybe a formula adapter? I know Formula Calipers don't work well with other brand adapters because of the size of the caliper body is so big. Formula adapters seem to have the deepest clearance for calipers. I remember having to dremel a Shimano adapter at Snowshoe to get it to work with a Formula Caliper.

Here's the formual 51mm adapter

Not sure if that helps but I've had similar problems in the past with other brake/fork combos and everytime I had to use a formula adapter for clearance.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Maybe a formula adapter? I know Formula Calipers don't work well with other brand adapters because of the size of the caliper body is so big. Formula adapters seem to have the deepest clearance for calipers. I remember having to dremel a Shimano adapter at Snowshoe to get it to work with a Formula Caliper.

Here's the formual 51mm adapter

Not sure if that helps but I've had similar problems in the past with other brake/fork combos and everytime I had to use a formula adapter for clearance.
that wouldn't be it because regardless of brand, you need an adapter for a 160mm rotor in order to use a 203 mm rotor on a fox 40. makes perfect sense, right?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So I was able to run home at lunch and I can verify that 2 of the 3 adapters in my toolbox work fine. The first is a Hayes adapter and the second has no markings on it. You can see the Hayes part number on the left adapter in the picture. Hope this helps.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
if you've no 6" front adapters hanging round that work, you can use a rear 180mm one and flip it upside down. Its a bit ugly and means that your caliper is sitting closer to 3 oclock than 12 on the if that makes sense to you (it does in my head). That solution might get you out on your bike untill you can get an adapter that works

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I ended up pulling one of the adapters off my old Juicy brakes on my dirt jumper that allowed the caliper to sit further down and got it sorted. Thanks for the help guys, I was beginning to get frustrated after the major 3 brake manufacturers adapters didn't work.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
you learn something new everyday! my 2013 coil 40 also has the IS mounts. no idea i had to use a 160mm mount (glad that i know now!)

thanks for the pic (and part number) dogboy!