Quantcast

2011 Fox 40: Used and Abused by Transcend

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Fraser Britton has been logging the miles on his new Fox 40, and has put together this review. Inside you'll find all the goods and details on Fox's 2011 version, including a look at the new Kashima Coat.
---

Words and Photos by Fraser Britton

Fox released their Fox 40 to much fanfare in early 2005. Since then, the fork has undergone many revisions, but none as big as the 2011 version.

For 2011, the most visible change to the championship winning 40 is the presence of the Kashima Coated uppers. This gold colored coating on the fork legs decreases friction, increases surface hardness and generally looks great. The other major change has been a redesign of the FIT cartridge that takes care of the fork’s damping duties.

I’ve been lucky enough to be riding the 2011 Fox 40 downhill for since late season 2010, and the changes made have been fantastic.

On previous models, the fork would last a few hard riding weeks until the bladder would inevitably blow, and need to be replaced. This was one of the major changes for 2011 that riders will notice.

When Fox inverted the new DH FIT cartridge, they also moved the bladder up to the top of the fork where it is allowed to expand fully and not pinch and tear. This alleviates one of the major technical issues riders used to have with the 40. Dependability will be greatly increased due to this.

Inverting the cartridge also moved the dual compression knobs from the bottom of the fork to the top, and the rebound knob to the bottom. This accomplishes a few things. First of all, it allows for more clearance at the bottom of the fork lowers, as the protective cap over the rebound knob is now half as long as it used to be. This will help keep riders from smashing it beyond recognition, and taking out the bottom of the cartridge with it. Secondly, rebound is usually set once, as a factor of spring rate and then left alone. By inverting things the 40 now has the compression knobs, which see a lot more action, at the top of the fork, making adjustments much quicker.

The most visible difference, even from afar, is the use of Kashima Coating on the fork uppers. Kashima is a proprietary treatment belonging to the Miyaki Coporation of Japan. Fox reps explained Kashima to us earlier this year. “In the revolutionary Kashima Coat process, lubricating molybdenum disulfide is deposited, via electrical induction, into the billions of micropores on the surface of hard-anodized aluminum.

The distinctive gold colored, Kashima coated stanchions maintain better lubrication characteristics, and the lightweight aluminum components treated with Kashima Coat attain a level of hardness and abrasion resistance four times tougher than standard hard-anodized aluminum.”

Basically, the Kashima Coat can lead to a longer lasting fork upper due to better lubrication properties and better wear and scratch resistance than standard fork uppers.

The Fox racers who were prototyping this treatment (The Athertons, Steve Smith, Jared Graves etc.) all saw a noticeable increase in suspension performance.

After some decent time on the product, at much lower speeds, I have to say that I agree. The small 1 or 2% reduction in friction is actually noticeable to small bump compliance. My hands are less tired after long rocky descents than they used to me, with no other changes being made to the fork.

I also usually end up with small nicks in my uppers pretty quickly, but the Kashima certainly does seem to have a harder surface, as even after a multitude of crashes and failed attempts at putting the bike on north shore racks that were way over my head, there are no scratches to be seen in the uppers.

In the months of hard riding the fork has seen, including the complete slop of the North Shore all winter long, there has been no reliability issues, save for one (see below). It’s about time for a rebuild, but until now things have been great.

We did run into one issue. During assembly, something may have been overtightend, as turning the compression knobs led to the entire lower rebound knob assembly unthreading from the fork lowers. In the process it completely locked out the rebound making the fork almost un-rideable until it was sorted out. It was a quick fix with an hex key and a 15mm wrench (and some fork oil) but it’s something worth keeping an eye on and seeing it if was a one off problem or not.

If you have a 2010 40 in good working order, the 2011 is probably not a worthwhile upgrade. But if you have been having problems with the bladder, smashing the compression knobs or it’s just time for a new fork, I would highly recommend the 2011 Fox 40.

[fblike]http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3615754#post3615754[/fblike]

Attachments

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Thanks for the review, but I call BS on the "1% to 2% reduction in friction". No way a human could detect that.

Take teh blue pill, and don't believe the hype. All the FOX racers said they felt an improvement? Isn't that surprising.

Any comments on tunability?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I upgraded my "In good working order" 2010 with Kashima stantions, and can honestly say they are definetly smother feeling. I only blew one bladder in a full season of riding/racing. To be honest I adjust my rebound more then both compression adjustments. If the rest of fork is still in good shape at the end of the year I might price out the 2011 damper and further upgrade my fork. It will likely be cheaper then selling my 2010 fork and buying new. I do like the concept of increased reliability.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Same for me here, not sure I'd say 1 or 2% smoother but out of the box the fork feels like a nicely broken in fork.No initial stichion from the bushing...I also find it less "notchy" on the off camber stuff...not quite sure how to best describe this but with older 40 @ 150lbs the fork would hardly compress on off camber stuff . . . There's definitely a noticeable different now with the coating.

Bladders never been that much of an issue for me but the new damper does WAY more between each clicks compare to previous generations

Nice review Fraser...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Thanks for the review, but I call BS on the "1% to 2% reduction in friction". No way a human could detect that.

Take teh blue pill, and don't believe the hype. All the FOX racers said they felt an improvement? Isn't that surprising.

Any comments on tunability?
I can guarantee you feel a difference. Especially if you ride on damaged hands/wrists.

As for tuneability, the new damper has a much wider range of compression adjustments than in previous iterations of the catridge. The old "close it and open it up 6 clicks" baseline is now WAY too heavy in the damping dept for most riders.

edit: typo!

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I can guarantee you feel a difference. Especially if you ride on damaged hands/wrists.

As for tuneability, the new damper has a much wider range of compression adjustments than in previous iterations of the catridge. The old "close it and open it up 6 clicks" baseline is not WAY too heavy in the damping dept for most riders.
Agread that you could feel it compared to the regular ones... Maybe its the fact hte foam dust seals were always dry and these slid easier through them... Either way it is smoother....

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I'm not following. I didn't harm a single bladder or cartridge in the testing of this fork. No animals were hurt either.
That's what I was wondering. I blow the bladder on my '08 about once a month, so I've been thinking about buying the updated damper. Since you didn't have any problems with it, it seems like they fixed it. Thanks for the review :thumb:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Inverting the cartridge also moved the dual compression knobs from the bottom of the fork to the top, and the rebound knob to the bottom. This accomplishes a few things.
The other benefit of the inverted damper is that now if you get air in your cartridge, it will rise to the top and most likely have very little impact on the damping; whereas previously you would lose rebound damping at the start of the stroke.