a 7" Vanilla version would be nice too

they show the Float, but the description says:
- Talus 2 Position travel is adjustable down to 100mm in 10mm increments
...i dont see a travel adjustment in that pic

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have been thinking of what fork to upgrade to for weeks now, I guess I will wait till the 180 is out now.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Really like the compression adjustment knobs on the top of the fork now, I hate having to take off the cap to adjust the compression on my old 36.. anybody else notice the funky/fat steerer tube on the new talas 36? what's the deal w/that?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
The fork is hanging on a display... :rofl:
Nope, it is a dial to adjust the length of the steer tube :D You no longer have to cut these down to size. Hooray for more dials to turn :thumb:

So what is "lockout force"? The 36 TALAS 160 is no longer RC2. Arrgg, I will try not to jump to conclusions but why not just keep the damping simple and standard. hi/lo compression adjustment is fine for the trail too. No need for some other pedally/lock out/position sensitive crap. Dammit! I just jumped to conclusions. I just can't help myself on the internet.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am a bit surprised that Fox kept 36mm uppers for 180mm fork. The stiffness maybe OK, but it looks sooo skinny :D
I've been told, than Kashima coating with new, green oil, reduces friction with/by 47% :)
Protrusion below the axle seems to be longer than on F40.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I am a bit surprised that Fox kept 36mm uppers for 180mm fork. The stiffness maybe OK, but it looks sooo skinny :D
I've been told, than Kashima coating with new, green oil, reduces friction with/by 47% :)
Protrusion below the axle seems to be longer than on F40.
Dude its 20mm more then a standard 36, which has never been lacking in stiffness. I think we'll be ok. :)

I am betting that the lower dropouts mean nice long bushings too, so the fork won't knock and rattle, and be nice and stiff.

Either way, Fox is on a hell of a roll.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
a 7" Vanilla version would be nice too

they show the Float, but the description says:

...i dont see a travel adjustment in that pic
That "spy" photo from a while back showed a Talas version, even with a pic of the adjuster. So hopefully it really does exit!

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
Now:
your stantions cost more WHEN they wear out
your long travel single crown flexes too much
you don't have 2 stage rebound

but hey they finally figured out that no one adjusts the rebound on the fly.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Now:
your long travel single crown flexes too much
QUOTE]

I never heard any complaining about stiffness on the06/07 zoke 66rc2x forks that were so nice, and those were 180mm travel with 35mm stanchions.

I would say that it can be done well (marzocchi did it) and if anyone can these days, it's Fox.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Yeah, remember the 203mm travel SC travis with 34mm chassis?
Anyway, as long as the parts have been updated for the higher travel, there should be no worry.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
more info and vids at PB..and Transcend seems to make a video appearance too

The brand new 180 mm travel 36 fork is an entirely new platform for Fox Racing Shox. While still utilizing 36 mm stanchion tubes, the fork features completely new lowers, longer stanchion tubes, more bushing overlap than a standard 36, and inside you'll find the new revised FIT damper. The new 7.1" travel 36 fork is designed for those riders who are looking for a long travel single crown fork that will be at home in the bike park or getting gnarly on built features. This is the Fox fork that a lot of aggressive riders have been waiting for. It's also worth noting that introducing the new 36 180 mm platform has allowed Fox to shave grams off of the 160 mm travel version.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-36-180-2011.html

Last edited: