Quantcast

2011 Glory or 2010 Session 88 or 2011 Session 88

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
My local LBS is giving me a very good offer on a 2010 Session 88 frame... probably because the 2011 models are about to come out? Maybe, I don't know when they'll be available...

The price they are offering me for one is more or less similar to the price of a 2011 Glory frame (when it comes out)...

As far as I know, the 2011 Glory will remain the same as the current model except for the paint (I'm loving the white version)...

The 2011 Session on the other hand has a host of supposed improvements from an integrated fork bumper, new rounded tubing (downtube) that supposedly gives it more strength (etc..), and new welding for the lower link that supposedly makes the rear end stiffer..

The above descripti0ns are all e-speculation...

So, do I pull the trigger on the 2010 Session, order a 2011 Session 88 (god knows when it'l arrive) or a 2011 Glory (god knows when it'l arrive multiplied by 2)...

I have the luxury of time though coz i still healing from a few broken bones... I don't have the luxury of too much cash, though I was told the new Glory and Session models will not significantly increase in price from the current models. I'm coming from a Banshee Scythe, which I am currently using as a DH race rig...

Having said all of the above, does anyone have ride time on both the current Session and Glory? How does each ride? Which do you prefer and why?

Does anyone have ride time on the 2011 session? (i dunno maybe someone has)

Thank you very much...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
The Session 88 hands down over the Giant. I have owned both and trust me the Trek sits alot better geometry! The Giant is a good bike I just like the Trek better. Especially if the price is right! What size is the 2010 Session frame? I thought they were out?

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
I don't want to be the opininionated guy in here....But all 2011 Giants(Glorys) should be arriving in shops now if they aren't there already. So you shouldnt hear the 2 weeks excuse.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I think you cannot go wrong either way. I have a Giant 2010 and love it. I have also riden the Trek and have nothing bad to say about it.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
the updates that you are talking about in reference to the session 88 are not e spec, they are printed in their 2011 "buyers guide"

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
the updates that you are talking about in reference to the session 88 are not e spec, they are printed in their 2011 "buyers guide"

Cool..thanks.. so are they out already? I just want to know if anyone thinks (hopefully someone whose actually ridden it) the supposed improvements are will be worth the wait....

LBS says they don't know when the new Glory and Session 88 will arrive.. Even if I roder one it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months... I actually waited for the 2010 Glory for more than 6 months (broken promises, follow-ups, etc..) and gave up on it... So I'm kinda suspcious about and the 2011one's...

Thanks for the other replies... I haven't tried the Glory but I was able to try a freind's 2010 Session 88 briefly...and yes it felt awesome....

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
The Session 88 hands down over the Giant. I have owned both and trust me the Trek sits alot better geometry! The Giant is a good bike I just like the Trek better. Especially if the price is right! What size is the 2010 Session frame? I thought they were out?
I should be on a small...

Cool... I've read a lot of people ranting about the Glory's steep HA... but honestly speaking i'm pretty sure i'm not fast/good enough to notice a 1 deg difference in HA (65 vs. 64)... lol

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I don't want to be the opininionated guy in here....But all 2011 Giants(Glorys) should be arriving in shops now if they aren't there already. So you shouldnt hear the 2 weeks excuse.
I wish i live somewhere in the wesetern hemisphere..lol

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
I got my 2011 Glory last week, it is the complete so I would think frame only should be available also.

Still trying to dial in the RC4, any suggestions....

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I got my 2011 Glory last week, it is the complete so I would think frame only should be available also.

Still trying to dial in the RC4, any suggestions....
Sweet.... The thing is out here built Giant's usually arrive a few months sooner than framsets... dunno why...

Btw, what size are u running and what is the spring rate? And the fork is 10'?

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
2011 Session 88. Dented downtube should not be an issue with it since it is oval shaped.

Yeah.. but just got off the phone with the local Giant & Trek distributor and was told the 2011 frames would most likely arrive between January - March 2011....

I really can't wait that long.. So i'm down between the current session 88 and glory...

Better geo or better metal...

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
With all the respect for Trek, but after so many quality problems (paper-thin DT, cracking rear triangles) I'd go for Glory, which seems to be very good frame, after a season of existence on the market.

AFAIR, there will be angle reducer headset for tapered HT from one of the manufacturers. You can't fix the tubes' thickness ;)

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
With all the respect for Trek, but after so many quality problems (paper-thin DT, cracking rear triangles) I'd go for Glory, which seems to be very good frame, after a season of existence on the market.

AFAIR, there will be angle reducer headset for tapered HT from one of the manufacturers. You can't fix the tubes' thickness ;)
Yeah..those CC anglesets can't come any sooner...

Shepherdwong

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
FWIW I wouldn't be too concerned about the stock geo on the Glory. I measured mine at 14.2 BB height with 64.7 head angle Stock with 2.5 minions front and rear. I have since put in Works -1 degree cups and it now measures in at a hair less than 64 in the head angle with the bottom bracket at about 14.1 inches. I do prefer the slacker set up but it's not like OMFG ZOUNDS so much better or anything.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
The Treks run a thicker tubing for 10 - 11 bikes and they are practically the same front triangle as the Giant since Giant makes both frames anyway...

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Alright..that settles it...i'm going for the Glory... though all I can get is the 2010 model..only difference is paint anyway (with the 2011)....

Anyone know what the stock spring rate is for a small? I can't seem to find it in the Giant website...thanks!

Also, does the frame come with a rear axle/ maxle and a spare dropout? Thanks!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Glory 2010 0/frame small comes with 450lbs spring.
No, Glory is through-axle only, unless you make special drop-out. It comes with regular 150x12 alu axle. No spare dropout, AFAIR

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
No, Glory is through-axle only, unless you make special drop-out. It comes with regular 150x12 alu axle. No spare dropout, AFAIR
Cheater. Your glory is not denting but you use a protector for the downtube. In all fairness - Polini used one for his brick heavy demo too ;)

The 450lbs spring for a bike with rc4 is nuts. Im really hoping bike companies start to realise that most bikers are not 90kg +

Id take the glory over trek anyway but the dent tube is no longer a problem if its oval in trek (and it still isnt in giant)

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010

Thanks.. for the info...

450lb spring for a small frame...good thing i saved my 350 and 400...

Last edited:

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Cheater. Your glory is not denting but you use a protector for the downtube. In all fairness - Polini used one for his brick heavy demo too ;)

The 450lbs spring for a bike with rc4 is nuts. Im really hoping bike companies start to realise that most bikers are not 90kg +

Id take the glory over trek anyway but the dent tube is no longer a problem if its oval in trek (and it still isnt in giant)

Yeah, hope the new Session was already here but that's just wishful thinking....

I wonder if i can use the new trek down tube protector for the Session 8 on the Glory...hehehe

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, hope the new Session was already here but that's just wishful thinking....

I wonder if i can use the new trek down tube protector for the Session 8 on the Glory...hehehe
If you dont ride in areas with lots of loose rocks and/or dont crash too much I doubt you will need one. There will be always other options for downtube protection though if the sesh one wont fit.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Norbar, do you really need to reveal all my secrets? :P
But, indeed, I use additional alu shield when I ride in rocky areas.

I thought the same thing when I saw it ;)

About 450lbs spring on Glory size S - I am about 67kg geared and I had to go down to 300lbs Ti spring to get 31-32% SAG. I am thinking about 275lbs Progressive spring, but I am not sure whether it will fit my shock.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm pretty sure the glory and the 08-10 session use exactly the same downtube. I've certainly seen a fair number of dented glory downtubes at N* this summer. Just buy one of the fuggin DT guards and run it on whichever one you get and you'll be fine.

Also, I absolutely love my session, its far and away my favorite bike I've ever ridden, but if I had to pay retail on it I wouldn't have bought it.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I talked to a guy from Giant's R&D dept. and the (frames) don't share any parts. Giant simply does frames accordingly to Trek specs.

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I talked to a guy from Giant's R&D dept. and the (frames) don't share any parts. Giant simply does frames accordingly to Trek specs.
Yeah i guess both downtubes look the same but metal composition, etc are different...

I'd be over the moon if the 2011's arrive here at the latest December coz i'm really digging the white...
Hey Frango, you seem to know a lot about Giant...will the 2011 framest come in white or bronze/grey? Thanks

Anyway, yeah 2010 frame + CC Angleset when they become available....

@Norbar: Yeah i do ride in rocky terrain (not WC rocky but rocky enough) and i crash a LOT...lol

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I don't know the details of tubes' construction, buy Glory's DT close to BB is definitely thicker.
Frame always come in a color & graphics of the top model or very similar. I think it's already on US web-site...?

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I don't know the details of tubes' construction, buy Glory's DT close to BB is definitely thicker.
Frame always come in a color & graphics of the top model or very similar. I think it's already on US web-site...?
Yes it is... was just kinda hoping there would be w white version.... thanks!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah i guess both downtubes look the same but metal composition, etc are different...

I'd be over the moon if the 2011's arrive here at the latest December coz i'm really digging the white...
Hey Frango, you seem to know a lot about Giant...will the 2011 framest come in white or bronze/grey? Thanks

Anyway, yeah 2010 frame + CC Angleset when they become available....

@Norbar: Yeah i do ride in rocky terrain (not WC rocky but rocky enough) and i crash a LOT...lol
WC tracks Ive been on (Maribor and Schlad ) are actualy not that rocky - it may be only the places I visit but only in Alpe D Huez I was in a place where there was a serious problem with loose rocks hitting the downtube (though I tried to pick a bit more dent resistant frame so I worry a bit less) and that was on the Mega quali track. Closer to enduro than dh ;)

If you are worried about demolishing your frame pick up a legend like I did ;) I managed to get mine to 37.25lbs on 823 wheels and all around burly parts so its not that much heavier ;)

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I haven’t ridden a session but I have been riding a glory this season and would recommend it if you don’t mind the wacky geo or don’t mind buying one of the reducer headsets(about $100 for the works components one).

The good:
Light frame
Haven’t had any denting issues and I have bashed it on plenty of things
Good warranty
Cheap frameset
Geo feels dialed with a 1.5 degree reducer headset and my fork as low as it goes (for my tastes – I don’t like really slack or really steep bikes, I do like a low bb)
Pedals amazing
Jumps well
Frame is very stiff

The Bad:
Stock geo is not good for riding fast (I am not that fast but like to try… Rode it and raced it stock for about a month and really disliked it- even after a month I felt like I was still fighting the bike)
Gets bounced around a bit in the rough sections (compared to my old shocker)
Derailleur hanger is a bit too flimsy

I have let a few others ride my bike before and after installing the reducer headset and the general consensus is geo-wise it feels bad stock and feels really nice with the reducers

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I haven’t ridden a session but I have been riding a glory this season and would recommend it if you don’t mind the wacky geo or don’t mind buying one of the reducer headsets(about $100 for the works components one).

The good:
Light frame
Haven’t had any denting issues and I have bashed it on plenty of things
Good warranty
Cheap frameset
Geo feels dialed with a 1.5 degree reducer headset and my fork as low as it goes (for my tastes – I don’t like really slack or really steep bikes, I do like a low bb)
Pedals amazing
Jumps well
Frame is very stiff

The Bad:
Stock geo is not good for riding fast (I am not that fast but like to try… Rode it and raced it stock for about a month and really disliked it- even after a month I felt like I was still fighting the bike)
Gets bounced around a bit in the rough sections (compared to my old shocker)
Derailleur hanger is a bit too flimsy

I have let a few others ride my bike before and after installing the reducer headset and the general consensus is geo-wise it feels bad stock and feels really nice with the reducers

Thanks for the feedback..You mean angeled reducers... yeah, i know works and K9 already sell those though from what I have read the CC angeleset seems easier to install, etc..

@Norbar... yeah, maybe I should save a little bit more for peace of mind and go for the likes of the Legend, TR450, etc..

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Yeah I have the works angle reducer headset - anyone who is competent with bikes and has a headset press shouldn't have any trouble installing it. I like the idea of the works headset over the canecreek one as there are less metal on metal surfaces to start creaking or loosen.

Part of how giant pulls off the light weight on the glory is that the frame is efficiently designed in that there are no unnecessary bolts or tubes anywhere - the pivot bolt doubles as the shock bolt, there aren't extra linkages or braces, etc. All that allows for a slightly thicker tubeset at a similar weight to the session which has extra hardware and a seatstay brace. I have abused mine quite a bit (including drops to flat, smashing into rocks, and accidentally dragging it up a shuttle road by a cable lock when it fell off the bike rack) and so far no issues. Plus the bike is built up at 36 and a bit pounds with no questionable parts IMO.

I don't ride for them or have any kind of giant hookup - just excited to see good dh products being sold at reasonable prices.