Quantcast

2011 Izimu - CCDB or Elka

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Hello,

So I have decided (I think) to go with a clearout 2011 Izimu. I have the options of the CCDB or the Elka. I am sure not many have had the luxury of riding the Izimu with both, so a direct comparison is probably out - but any with ride time on an Izimu with either?

I know the CCDB is supposed to be the 'best' and the Elka is considered a big step up on Vivid/RC4 etc, but anyone give riding impressions?

I am 210-215lbs w/gear roughly, does that matter for the feel of the shock? What about the Vivid, is it good enough on the Izimu (save a little money).

Thanks, will post pics when I finally get it.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Can't say about the Elka, but I highly recommend the double barrel and steer clear of the Vivid. I've had both and the DB blows the Vivid away on that frame.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks motomike,

No to Vivid... ok thanks. CCDB works well with the single pivot of the Izimu then? I guess with all the adjustments you could get it just right. My concern is its too adjustable and difficult to get right.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
You can always get in contact with Cane Creek to ask questions about seting up the shock.

Check out the Double Barrel air, same if not more adjustibility than the coil version and in the same weight range as the Vivid air. Maybe it would be something for you.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks monarch,

Only options with the frame is the CCDB coil and Elka coil. One simple and easy to use, without so much adjustment, one that needs an engineering degree but incredible when set up...

Decisions decisions.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
No experience with either shock, but I did run a Vivid as a backup on my Izimu while my Revox was being tuned. I've liked the Vivid overall on other rigs, but I did NOT like it on the Izimu for what it's worth.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
If the leverage curve is progressive at the end, go with the Double Barrel. Maybe a bit tough to set it up right, but when you get the sweet spot for your frame it should be awesome.
The problem is that the DB hasn't any internal ramping so a bit of end progression in the frame is almost a bit of a must have.

I don't know how the Izimu looks like though...

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Ok thanks.

Think I will go with the CCDB. Just too good a deal to pass up. Appears as though lots of Morewood riders use the CCDB, and from what I am told the CS is really good so I am sure I can just call them and get help if needed.

Thanks

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Turn around time on service just got tons faster too. Suspension Experts in Asheville is now the authorized service center and only a few miles down the road from them. If you REALLY want bling too, you can get the one with the old adjusters and have them upfit it with the new adjusters. But don't even bother asking about the price to convert them. If cost is of ANY concern, don't ask. Even demo9's mom might balk at that one.