Quantcast

2011 Izimu, seat time anyone?

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
Due to a recent, unfortunate whoopsidoodles combined with years of use on my current DH frame (2006 commencal supreme DH, 7" travel, 73mm bb, 12x135 rear), it is starting to show its age and i'm thinking its time to start shopping for a replacement. This is going to be hard i think, as the only true fault i can find with the bike is that it is limited to 7" of travel and is somewhat heavy compared to modern DH frames. The geo and sizing is spot on, and the linkage system flat works. Many of my friends on new demos, legends, v10s etc often comment how nice the bike feels for a second hand $400 frame.

I parking lot rode a makulu yesterday, and while it was a very nice bike (can't believe how solid the rear triangle is) its a bit out of the budget range (and overkill for 1/2 the DH riding i do honestly). I live in Santa Cruz, land of roots, berms and steep chutes but regularly visit santa barbara/slo/san diego and i consider northstar my home resort. I like to drift, I like techy rocks and sometimes i like to just jump the rocks entirely if you know what i mean. I just like to have fun on my bike.

I did a lot of searching today, and see quite a few of you that like your Izimus. I am wondering if anyone has any seat time on a 2011 Izimu here? Anybody had problems with their frame in the past? Aside from being a completely redesigned frame, it looks like they kept the general spirit intact and didn't change the geometry too much. It looks like it would build up to be very, very light too. I really like the price, and that most of my current spec would transplant nicely. My "pedal" bike is an ndiza, and i absolutely love it, even as a single speed. Morewood really has the single pivot thing figured out, and i'm a firm believer that sometimes less is more.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
Pros:
Morewood 'Prestige'
singlepivot acceleration

Cons:
biggest chainstay alive
bottoms out way to easily with proper tuned shock
tire rubs seattube with some tires in slack position

other then that its a gangster ass thrillcraft that wants to brake the sound barrier and make the girls panties wet

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
No time on the 2011 but I like my 2010 a lot. The addition of the concentric pivot geo adjust will only make it better. I love the snappy, fast feel of my 2010. Not super low or super slack fyi if that's what you're looking for. Definitely not a plower, but if you like to jump all kinds of stuff you will like it. I'm running a Cane Creek with a 300 lb spring (i'm 160) and no problems bottoming where it shouldn't.

Durability has been top notch. I haven't replaced anything in the year I've had it and everything is tight. I am very tempted by the 2011 as well and would love to see one built up if you get it.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
its a gangster ass thrillcraft that wants to brake the sound barrier and make the girls panties wet
:D

believe it or not, my current bike has longer chainstays (17 5/8"). the geo sounds just a little longer, lower and more modern than my old bike plus an extra inch of travel would be nice.

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
I've had a few months on mine now.
I got the full build but spent the extra to get it built around the black frame, it's normally white.
my previous bike was an orange patriot so I was looking for something similar but more modern.
On paper the small izimu was a little longer and a little slacker than the 16" patriot so it looked ideal. It turns out the bike feels and rides shorter and I wish I had gone for the medium size. I'm 5'9".
This bike rips around tight tracks superbly. It's extremely agile.
When things get steep and chunky the effect on suspension from the rear brake is pretty noticeable but I've been a single pivot fan for years so it's no problem.
I didn't ride it with the stock boxxer rc, instead opting to fit my 66 rc3 ti at first but at the moment it has an old 40 rc2. Both forks suit it very well but overall I prefer the 66 for most of my riding.

It's extremely quiet on the trail and I'm very happy with the surface finish.
Some angle reducing headset cups are in the pipeline to stretch it out a little and calm things down when it gets fast and rough. I put the pivot in the long and low position straight off but feel it can go slacker and lower. After that i'd love to try a CCDB.
I'm not too set on the looks with the 40, the combo of huge stanchions and massive ardent tyres on 35mm rims make the frame look pretty ghey in these pics!

Last edited: