Quantcast

2011 Norco Shinobi

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Whooo-hooo! This was a great bike to take down LPS and Porc rim. This was my 2nd favorite bike from Outerbike, behind the Sultan. All this bike needs out of the box is a better wheelset and maybe a dropper post (it has cable mounts for one).

Baisic highlight specs:
•29er for "all-mountain"
•140mm of front travel, 120mm of rear travel
•uses A.R.T. suspension design (FSR variant) and 142mm rear thru axle
•30.2 lbs claimed

I had to take a large out for my ride which is a tad larger than I need at 5'7" (normally ride a medium) but someone beat me to the medium. The Fit was not bad with the exception being that it was maybe a little tall in the standover dept.

I like the plain, uncluttered look of this bike. All the cables run full housing down the downtube which keeps the look clean. The white and black paint scheme was even a littled understated but classy.

The ride is what you would expect from a FSR type suspension. It had good overall suspension characteristics with only a little bob noticable during seated climbing, but not to the point where it was a hinderance or a distraction. It was not as active as the DW or the Rumblefish through the fast, rough sections but it wasn't too bad either. Small bump compliance and square edge bump handling were good (not DW Sultan good but good) even at very high speeds coming down some of the double track where the trail is full of rock lips. The Reba 140 on this bike worked ok but didn't seem to be as supple as the Fox I'm used to. It might still need some breaking in. The bike was well balanced and begged to be ridden fast. It manualed and wheelie dropped easily off the rock ledges. This bike liked to fly and had a great neutral feel in the air. Steering precision was good with only the weak wheelset comprimising it a bit. The rear was very stiff with the 142 20mm thru-axle (wish it could be removed without a tool, like a Maxle) with the weak point again being the wheelset.

This bike really had me thinking of getting a 140mm fork and some flat bars for my Sultan.

Overall, it's a very cabable AM/Trail 29'r that can be picked up compete for under $3k.

Details on the norco website - http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/29ers/shinobi/

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for that! At that price point, the Norco is my short list for next year. I've broken enough boutique frames that I'm not even looking at a Sultan or Tallboy. I've got my fingers crossed that Giant will come out w/ a 29er TranceX, or Voodoo will update the suspension on their 29er Canzo like they did for the 26er. That'd give me a few affordable, efficient, trail-worthy choices. Glad to hear you liked it on a Porc Rim-type ride, since LeeL seemed unimpressed after his time on board.
- Joe

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Yeah, that and they get a great big FAIL on the name, too. There may be other similarly priced options out there (perhaps w/ the intro of the Spearfish, the Big Mama will get bigger?), but that's what's on my radar. I'd love to wait for Voodoo or Giant, but I'm really getting tired of pedaling my 35# PrestonFR. I could probably live w/ 100mm travel on the frame and 120mm up front if the angles were right, but I'm hoping for a 5x5 29er trail bike that I can keep to not much more than 31#, with an up-to-date suspension design, capable of Porc. Rim-sized drops, and a non-boutique price tag. So far the Norco seems to best fit the bill (and yes, I'm deliberately leaving the Speshy off the list, although the warranty is a selling point for this no-skill clyde).

Just looked at the Tomac. 71 degree HT angle with a 120mm fork - seems off the mark to me.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I got the spesh stumpy and couldn't be more happy. I hated the fact that spesh is so trendy out here, but i couldn't pass up the deal. I got a 2010 demo bike from a shop for $1600. Couldn't pass that up. Now i'll never go back to a 26er, maybe not even for Dh.