Quantcast

2011 Pietermaritzburg World cup course. (head cam)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
a section of a race track for a bicycle race that requires this "pedaling" activity? What a novel concept.
Thirded.

Downhill might be the only sport in the world where the "fans" complain because a venue requires a higher degree of athleticism.
Only because it sucks and is boring. Besides, UCI regs stipulate that DH should be contested on technical and bike handling skill rather than pedalling. Otherwise they'd just hold the World Champs in a velodrome wouldn't they.

Track looks pretty sick regardless, didn't think it looked too pedally.

Lions

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Big yellow land
Boring? Sheesh. Go watch NWD. That part of the track is going to separate the pack into skilled athletes and pinballers.

If DH is ever going to make to the next level of recognition it needs more riders like Minaar, Atherton, or Barel who take as much pride in their athleticism as they do in their ability to ****ing pin it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Boring? Sheesh. Go watch NWD. That part of the track is going to separate the pack into skilled athletes and pinballers
You missed my point. That section would suck completely if it was televised using the limited cameras the Freecaster and UCI guys have to work with. Which is a pity because its wide open and would allow the best bang for your buck in terms of camera placement and viewable ride time.

I understand that fitness needs to be a considerable factor, but I think the pro-pedalling proponents often forget that pedalling sections are actually easier for most downhillers than the rest of the track is, as it gives them a chance to recover and move their body out of the attack position and get some feeling back into fingers and forearms.

It will favour the powerhouse riders a little bit, but its such a small section that there's plenty of time to be made up in the technical sections which is afterall, what DH racing is about.

alfonz

Chimp
Jan 28, 2008
NYC
um pedals an cranks are for pedaling, no? seems as though those who think the pedal section is lame are either fat ****s an lazy asses..

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
The track is fine.

Good to see the WC on a nontraditional continent.
That will help the sport.

Last edited:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Track is far from fine. 75% awesome, 25% lame is not what World Cup level DH racing is about. Yes it's great to have World Cup DH racing in the southern hemisphere, yes it's great to have World Cup DH racing exposed to non-traditional markets. No, it is not great to have a 40 second pedaling section in the middle of a World Cup DH track. "Good enough" is not good enough at this level.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As mentioned, there are certain stipulations that a track has to conform to. The UCI has overlooked these numerous times for lame venues.
Ca$h ;)

Not to mention that using the "dh bike has pedals" argument we can make an XC track, slap a dh badge on it but that's not the point isn't it?
For me WC tracks should be tracks that are either great to watch or tracks that most of the downhill community would want to ride (not only because it's a wc track)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It will be interesting to see what riders think of it when they get there. La Bresse got some pretty solid e-hate from fans and riders alike based on the helmet cam video from absalom? and then it turned out to be a rider favorite and everybody thought it was pretty awesome. I recommend holding off judgement and massive diatribes

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It will be interesting to see what riders think of it when they get there. La Bresse got some pretty solid e-hate from fans and riders alike based on the helmet cam video from absalom? and then it turned out to be a rider favorite and everybody thought it was pretty awesome. I recommend holding off judgement and massive diatribes
The biggest part that everyone loved about la bresse (like Schladming) is that it was literally directly in the middle of town. It gives the event an insanely cool vibe.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
at least it's better than canberra...
Uhhh, worlds at Canberra was some of the best most intense racing. Courses don't have to be like Champery to be interesting to watch. I don't really care how much fun the athletes are having in the pedal section. Besides, they'll probably just not film that section anyways.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
La Bresse looked fine.
Was just covered in vegetation initially.
Monkeys realized that....:monkey:

La Bresse did have that pump pedalfest out of the gate....was impressive watching the top guys destroy it too.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wasnt it still too short under UCI regulations? I know they have that * next to them but even on a nice trails when they are that short there is little margin for error.