Quantcast

2011 - That 4X question and new rules for the Top 15 teams

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Well old silly season is here again, Cam Cole is the first domino to drop in team changes for 2011. Who's next? Things are usually slow to happen and even slower to be announced, we probably won't here more until January.

But onto business, the UCI have just released their plans for a "Pro Tour" style set-up for the top 15 ranked teams in the UCI World Cup series, with a separate ranking for XC and Gravity. That's right Gravity not DHI but both 4x and DH. So is 4X staying?

Anyway some of the new rules for the top 15 teams are good and in the interest of the sport, some of the other ones like all riders must wear the same "race suit" are well, Road, just road!

All the info is here http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTI1OTU&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=NjQ1NDM&LangId=1

Some things don't change greatly from the current system of registering a Trade team and the benfits it brings, some other things however do change! Hopefully a bit of decent 2011 discussion can happen in this thread....ah actually I'm fvckin' dreamin'.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Also I forgot to add that GT, Lapierre international are not in the top 15 gravity teams! Although I think Lapierre gravity team should be in because their XCO team are.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Although I think Lapierre gravity team should be in because their XCO team are.
In that document it has:

"UCI Mountain Bike Teams who compete in both disciplines (Cross-country & Gravity), and who qualify for only one ‘UCI Elite Mountain Bike Team’ registration (for example Gravity only) obtain automatically (without extra fee) the standard UCI Mountain Bike registration for the other
discipline.2"
So if their XC team is qualified and they choose to register as "elite" then it would seem so if they choose to register as an "elite" team.

The team outfit clause will be quite interesting...

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
In that document it has:

So if their XC team is qualified and they choose to register as "elite" then it would seem so if they choose to register as an "elite" team.
Yeah just checked Lapierres XCO team are ranked 16 of all numbers haha, so no big pits etc..for Lapierre in 2011.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Yeah just checked Lapierres XCO team are ranked 16 of all numbers haha, so no big pits etc..for Lapierre in 2011.
Ha, well they still have a chance.. if one of the top 15 declines "elite" status then they could give the nod since they're in the top 20. :D

Top 15 ranked teams are offered the opportunity to register as a ‘UCI Elite Mountain Bike Team’, before 10 December. If any decline the opportunity, then the invitation is offered to the next team on the ranking. Invitations will only be extended to teams ranked in the top 20.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
But onto business, the UCI have just released their plans for a "Pro Tour" style set-up for the top 15 ranked teams in the UCI World Cup series, with a separate ranking for XC and Gravity. That's right Gravity not DHI but both 4x and DH. So is 4X staying?

Anyway some of the new rules for the top 15 teams are good and in the interest of the sport, some of the other ones like all riders must wear the same "race suit" are well, Road, just road!
Good find! Interesting news to say the least.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Sounds great. They don't have enough fully attended World Cups, so why not make up an "elite" competition to alienate the majority of riders at fewer events. Makes perfect sense....in Johnny Depps head.

Boom Boom

Chimp
Nov 5, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Just copied my answer from the other thread on here.

Was just told about this thread earlier today and thought I would come on here and clear all this up.

Confirmed, 4X next year IS happening. This has been confirmed by UCI and IMTTO this afternoon.

Scanning through this thread quickly now, there are alot of points of view that are inaccurate and do need clearing up. I will look over it all in detail later and answer some of the questions and points of view that have been raised.

Just to confirm once more. 4X WILL BE IN THE WORLD CUP AND WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AGAIN NEXT YEAR.

Scott Beaumont

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
^ but will they choose to spend the money they have in the past on building tracks? meaning, it could be an even bigger sh1t show than it has been in the past?…which I did not think possible.

big dan

Chimp
Oct 12, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The identical race outfit rule would be a problem for the Syndicate i reckon. Greg = Alpinestars, Peaty = Royal.

I guess most other teams would already rock the same race gear?

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
The identical race outfit rule would be a problem for the Syndicate i reckon. Greg = Alpinestars, Peaty = Royal.

I guess most other teams would already rock the same race gear?
MS Evil = Alpinestars, Stevie Smith = TLD

How about custom helmets (I didn't read the link, so I don't know if it mentions anything about it) but numerous riders have custom helmets, like the redbull athletes.

This is another mistake by the UCI. Sponsors should be able to dictate what the riders wear, until the UCI steps up and starts laying down cash.

-KT

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This is another mistake by the UCI. Sponsors should be able to dictate what the riders wear, until the UCI steps up and starts laying down cash.
I saw that coming when they banned skinsuits. But a lot of people at the time thought it was a good idea UCI got involved. Now UCI just continues what they started. Give them a finger, they will take the hand! :rolleyes: