Quantcast

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Trek has input from neko, needles, mosley, and justin leov, who does KONA have? Robbie bourdon? I would think if the new kona was so good,(like the rest of them-lol) there would be 3 pages praising it, not 3 pages warning not to get it

isnt the trek a DW bike, that should make it instantly better anyway

EDIT yes yes, have your laughs, its early

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Demo9 posting about Treks racing heritage is hilarious, considering Konas 2 world Champs to Treks...well none I think.
Well, Trek has at least one world champ title. Mosley 2010;)

And is it possible, that a certain Aaron Gwin is riding Trek in 2011???:rolleyes:

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I hope you are kidding about this. My friend's Kona Coilair from last year. Kona replaced it under warranty. :thumb:
I don't have any pictures, but I too broke my 2009 CoilAir. Kona sent a whole replacement rear end for that bike.

My friend broke his near the CNC'd shock "cage", cracked it in a few places, but Kona upgraded him to a Stinky frame.

So, they really did alright, considering we both abused the hell out of them (and told Kona the same).

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
When Fabien Barel was on the team, I'm sure he had a big influence on the stab, and I don't think my insinuation is too far, especially in a small community of mountain bikers.
youre right. the 2007 Konas set the standard for the geometry for all DH bike thanks to Fabien. :rofl:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
yeah, this thread went south pretty quick..
Here's my quick 2 cents:
-Like most things 1st year products aren't usually a good thing to jump on, the Kona looks nice, but it's a bit of a gamble.. I'm sure Kona WILL back you up if you have any issues it's not like it's a small boutique brand that doesn't have replacement parts.
-The Trek is a bit more refined, as I think they had denting issues w/the first year Sessions(now I think they have a shield right?)

Sidenote seeing Joe Smith rip hard on a Kona def. gets me interested in the Operator.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its not really a "new" design is it? its just improving on their design that has worked for years. its got some curvy tubes but nothing major
one thing i dont get is how inserting the axle on the driveside helps to tighten the main pivot
and an axle that slides in from the drive side of the bike so you can adjust/tighten the main pivot

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
its not really a "new" design is it? its just improving on their design that has worked for years. its got some curvy tubes but nothing major
one thing i dont get is how inserting the axle on the driveside helps to tighten the main pivot

Well I mean it looks like a major re-design based on the curvy tubes and super short headtube, but everything behind the the front triangle looks like "business-as-usual" for kona.

Found this, interestingly enough they compare it to the session, although it's a bit short:
http://www.konaworld.com/documents/Operator_dirt_2011.pdf

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
It cracked me up that Graham Agassiz broke his Operator practicing for Rampage, since that is now their replacement for the Stinky/Stab.

I think it looks legit though and I'm most likely going to grab the FR version when I get some cash built up. I rode an '09 Stab last year for a bit and really liked it.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
youre right. the 2007 Konas set the standard for the geometry for all DH bike thanks to Fabien. :rofl:
Missing the point completely once again. At least you sound cool with your with your predictable condescending post.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Missing the point completely once again. At least you sound cool with your with your predictable condescending post.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
no, i got it. evil, spesh and devinici all followed Kona's led in geometry w/ low BB's. :rofl:
we should all stop and take a minute to recognize Kona's contribution to the world of modern DH geometry.:sarcastic:

keep trying to make your comment make more sense then it really does. its funny

edit: i can do this all day toots

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Not aimed at anybody specifically, but i wouldn't discredit ANY company that broke down at rampage, modern bikes are really not meant for it (not saying bender's karpy should be brought back either) Thats a kind of hurt that not many people are going to put their bike through.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Saving 1K with the Kona sounds like a no brainer to me. That money can be used for a season pass, an second wheelset, extra brake pads, and a bunch condition specific tires. You'll prevent yourself from having downtime during the riding season and increase the amount of time riding and grinning.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
no, i got it. evil, spesh and devinici all followed Kona's led in geometry w/ low BB's. :rofl:
we should all stop and take a minute to recognize Kona's contribution to the world of modern DH geometry.:sarcastic:

keep trying to make your comment make more sense then it really does. its funny

edit: i can do this all day toots
Ok then, lets make this productive. What companies that had 2007 geometry that hold up to 2011 standards.

Orange and Kona come to mind, what else?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ok then, lets make this productive. What companies that had 2007 geometry that hold up to 2011 standards.

Orange and Kona come to mind, what else?
Intense, IH, SC..plenty :D
hell IIRC, the Sunday's geometry didnt change much (if at all) since it was first made

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The bike Barel rides in the vid on the other page has a crazy 60 degree HA and BB was super low too.
you kidding me right? crazy 60 degree HA? super low BB with him on it riding? do you know the measurements?

As far as kona leading the market with the 2007 stab, i dont even know where to begin with this 1, so i wont

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
you kidding me right? crazy 60 degree HA? super low BB with him on it riding? do you know the measurements?
I remember reading/hearing awhile ago that Fabien's Stab had custom geometry that wasn't found on the normal bikes.. can't confirm it though, but it isn't that hard to believe w/how his mondraker is set up.

Pelle

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008

As far as kona leading the market with the 2007 stab, i dont even know where to begin with this 1, so i wont
It´s all in a Dirt article from 2007.

Barels bike in 2005.
WB 1217mm
HA 60 with 170mm fork with flat crowns.
BB drop 17.5mm

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I remember reading/hearing awhile ago that Fabien's Stab had custom geometry that wasn't found on the normal bikes.. can't confirm it though, but it isn't that hard to believe w/how his mondraker is set up.
Could be very true, but, that doesnt mean that the production bikes had it,(and i dont blame them either) i spent a significant amount of time on an 08 stab, hated it, it was long, and didnt track well at all (maybe why it was so long?) It had ok geo, it wasnt anything crazy modern, if anything, it felt "old" and this was only a few months ago. The bikes i was riding at the time, were a demo 9, and a '10 jedi, fork all the way down. I didnt see any crazy modern geo, but i guess i wasnt looking for it either. I found it exceptionally good in the first 3 inches of travel, but after that it kinda turned into sh!t.

I dont think the operator is terrible, i do think its laughable comparing it to a trek(especially since its a 3 year bike now) I have found kona to be a company about "just enough" That could be good or bad, but IMO, the operator would have never happened if they didnt get too behind in sales, we see other big companies like spesh putting new bikes out all the time, yeti and intense come to mind as well. I fail to understand why kona cant push the R&D a little bit more, they have all 12 trillion canadians on PB drooling over them, but they just "dont" seem to ever want to push it, i dont see the operator changing for another 4-6 years minimum, im not a gambling man, but it wouldnt surprise me if spesh does some "fix ups" to the new demo (which seems to be the most popular frame of 2011?) Maybe its a cocky attitude, maybe ill always have the stigma of konas snapping the whole time when i was getting into the sport. However, this is merely my observation of a company that i dont work for, but, that said, i do stand behind my opinions, i bought my GF a stinky and the seat collar nails into the rear triangle when it bottoms out, thats almost as bad as a jamis, I dont plan on owning a kona any time soon, but thats merely my opinion.

If i had to pick a bike that led the Geo, id take my yeti DH-9

^ and that was in 2003

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
It´s all in a Dirt article from 2007.

Barels bike in 2005.
WB 1217mm
HA 60 with 170mm fork with flat crowns.
BB drop 17.5mm

this is his current bike 59 degrees (retarded)

This was a picture taken of his bike, uploaded to PB in 2005

Maybe its just me, but they dont look even relatively close

Pelle

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
Haha that Summum just looks wierd!

They messed around alot with the geometry on the Stab so who knows what version is in that pic. But no it doesnt look like a 60 degree HA compared to the Mondraker.

Evo.

Chimp
Feb 5, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the replies...

Just an FYI, I will not be racing anytime soon nor do I have any desire to hit a 1200ft gap over the grand canon...

I am pretty sure Sam Hill, Steve Smith, Gee Atherton, etc.., could take either one of these bikes and still kick ass.

Anyways, thanks for the advice and comments.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Dont know that it matters to you, but the trek will have a higher re-sale value, while the kona will be more likely to sell (to a young kid)

Food for thought

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
for what it's worth, I saw at least half a dozen treks being wheeled through the village here in whistler with broken chainstays (both sides) last season alone, never mind the previous two seasons....never saw anyone with broken kona's......demo_9, you continue to be the biggest laugh on this forum.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
demo_9, you continue to be the biggest laugh on this forum.
+rep

However, you do realize that you are like the old man yelling at a kid for lighting a bag of poo on his porch. If he says "ah shucks" and lets it slide or just ignores it, the kid will eventually loose interest and move onto other things. Voicing displeasure will only reinforce to him that acting like a dolt will provide that attention he's looking for.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
+rep

However, you do realize that you are like the old man yelling at a kid for lighting a bag of poo on his porch. If he says "ah shucks" and lets it slide or just ignores it, the kid will eventually loose interest and move onto other things. Voicing displeasure will only reinforce to him that acting like a dolt will provide that attention he's looking for.

very true....unfortunately someone has to call bull**** on know-it-alls that actually don't know-it-all....