Quantcast

2011 US National Champs - DH/4X Venue ??

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Does anyone yet know, or care to speculate what the venue for next year's DH and 4X National Champs will be?

So far USA Cycling have only told us it will be a different event and venue to the endurance races (which is at Sun Valley, Idaho), and I have heard that it's supposed to be on the West Coast somewhere... So where's it going to be and how long until something has to be decided? :confused:

Would be rad to have it in the Pacific NW where a lot of people, including myself, love to race!

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
We have been trying to work on this...we hope it wont be somewhere lame. What we need in US Downhill is a real World Cup level downhill to run our National Champs. We should know by the end of this month... until then...SEND IN EMAILS TO YOUR FAVORITE MOUNTAIN AND TELL THEM THAT YOU WANT THEM TO HOST IT AND TO CONTACT USA CYCLING NOW!...Cool? Cool.

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Ask Kelli. She knows all.
Good idea. I tried emailing her and she's out of the office with events until Oct 20, so I wonder if there will be much progress made on the venue selection in that time frame (if it in fact hasn't been decided already). Collegiate champs are one of the events, and they are being held at Northstar at Tahoe, so who knows, maybe there will be some discussion about that as a potential venue while she's out there...

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I'm curious to know what people think would be a good location, and why. It's also interesting to discuss why a certain location wouldn't be a good choice. Like, why not Northstar for example?
Because national champs is in July, and 100+ degrees is not fun!

Port Angeles would be a sick place. The ProGRT was awesome there, and the town really supports the racing. It would be my #1 choice for sure.
Mt Hood (skibowl) in Oregon would be an awesome track and would be a great showing of true US potential. It's long, brutal, and has everything from rocks, to roots, to crazy high speed sections.
Schweitzer in Idaho has the facilities and have hosted big races before and are know for having a mans track. Their new management is really willing to work with the riders to make a great place. The race they had their this fall was sick.
I would be happy with Mt Snow, or Snowshoe WV too.

-KT

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Because national champs is in July, and 100+ degrees is not fun!

Port Angeles would be a sick place. The ProGRT was awesome there, and the town really supports the racing. It would be my #1 choice for sure.
Mt Hood (skibowl) in Oregon would be an awesome track and would be a great showing of true US potential. It's long, brutal, and has everything from rocks, to roots, to crazy high speed sections.
Schweitzer in Idaho has the facilities and have hosted big races before and are know for having a mans track. Their new management is really willing to work with the riders to make a great place. The race they had their this fall was sick.
I would be happy with Mt Snow, or Snowshoe WV too.

-KT
We have similar opinions Kyle, pretty much agree with all those recommendations, except, I wouldn't be happy to see the west coast lose it's turn to host since there's a bunch of fast locals that need to experience Nationals for the first time and would potentially become hooked on going to future events given a chance to easily compete this year.

Maybe in 2 years time Steven's Pass will be a possibility?

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
Schweitzer Idaho has always been a killer venue. Definitely a legit track, but maybe not the best preparation for Champery? I think whatever it is needs to be as similar as possible to world champs for that year. It is used as a qualification for worlds so it should be similar.

Never been to Mt. Hood...Sounds sick though. I'm down for some real downhill next year...Bring it on!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Cool as PA is, Kyle, I just don't think the venue can physically accommodate something as large as the National Championships. It needs to be a genuine big Western or Rocky mountain with lifts.

My vote is for Schweitzer, ID, Hood or Whitefish, MT. Watch, though - - Northstar will get the nod because it's close enough to SoCal and because they started the PR campaign way back in '08 at Sea Otter :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Good idea. I tried emailing her and she's out of the office with events until Oct 20, so I wonder if there will be much progress made on the venue selection in that time frame (if it in fact hasn't been decided already).
its not like all business stops because she is away on business.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
They should probably have the national champs somewhere in Colorado every year. U.S. is a big country, makes sense to have it 'somewhat' geographically centered. Makes more sense to have it more towards the west coast too since everyone in the top 10 is usually from the west coast or mountain states anyways.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Not the first time you've mentioned something like this about PA before...
Salty about something methinks?

I'm not arguing that PA could handle it. I think the total gravity entry count at Sol Vista this year was like 700ish? In it's current state PA is maxed at about 450 riders. not to say things might not be in the works... Their shuttle system seems to have worked better than most lift accessed resorts lifts of late.

I think the clincher would be the PA boys not wanting to put up with the USAC bullsh*t that comes the territory. They are a bit of a clusterf**k if you haven't noticed.

Cool as PA is, Kyle, I just don't think the venue can physically accommodate something as large as the National Championships. It needs to be a genuine big Western or Rocky mountain with lifts.

My vote is for Schweitzer, ID, Hood or Whitefish, MT. Watch, though - - Northstar will get the nod because it's close enough to SoCal and because they started the PR campaign way back in '08 at Sea Otter :rolleyes:.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
OK OK you guys, how about the new "Squaw Valley Bike Park".

LOL.

Good one Kidwoo on the 100* weather in Northstar......funny guy isn't he.
Big Sky back a few years ago maybe..Schweitzer if they still use the old Exp/Pro course for sure!

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Why don't they have it in Sun Valley? I don't see how breaking it up is good for the sport.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
We have been trying to work on this...we hope it wont be somewhere lame. What we need in US Downhill is a real World Cup level downhill to run our National Champs. We should know by the end of this month... until then...SEND IN EMAILS TO YOUR FAVORITE MOUNTAIN AND TELL THEM THAT YOU WANT THEM TO HOST IT AND TO CONTACT USA CYCLING NOW!...Cool? Cool.
:thumb:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Not the first time you've mentioned something like this about PA before...
Salty about something methinks?
Believe me, I'm not trying to detract from the good folks of ODS in the slightest. They run an excellent 'large-local' race - - and, of course, have pulled off the ProGRT there. But I think the sheer logistics of the physical size of the venue for parking/pits and such, providing enough shuttles on one single-lane dirt road, etc. - - it could get overwhelmed quickly. I wonder if they could even get the DNR permitting for it. Throw on that the lack of enough lodging in the PA area for something of that size in the middle of their high season.

ride said:
I think the clincher would be the PA boys not wanting to put up with the USAC bullsh*t that comes the territory. They are a bit of a clusterf**k if you haven't noticed.
That's a given. I saw what USAC did to Round and Round with Schweitzer and, really, what they do anywhere and it's sad indeed. Could be worse, though - - could be the UCI ;).

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Why not Northstar for example?
I'd like to see a different type of track as a change. Isn't Northstar dry and loose? I'd like to see steep, rooty, wet, ect. New England and the Pac NW get my vote. Consider that I live 1 hour from Sol Vista so I'm not just saying, "Make it close to me and on my kind of terrain."

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
After traveling to both sides of the country, and ridden most of the major lift access parks and trails. I can honestly say that A. Northstar will probably get the ticket because they sell themselves well, and B. Vail would be the best pick for venue / track. I know Old Nine is kind of inconsistant in terms of flat spots, but with a little work done to the trail its the closest thing in the US I have ever ridden that can recreate Champery the best. They also can handle a full sized event. Where as PA can most certainly not. Snowmass was another place I have though of due to its super sick downhill track and ability to house a full scale race venue, but the problem there is that the track does not 100% represent Champery's steepness. Overall I would like to see National Champs stay away from the east coast, and also stay away from the west coast as well. The advantage to having the venue somewhere in the middle is that both east and west coast racers / sponsors will take the time to travel. East coast people just do not travel as far as west coast racers, that is a fact. I have contacted Keli and how the selection works is that if a mountain wants to hold the event, they send in a proposal. It isn't like USAC goes out and says "Hey, will you host this event?" USAC just waits and sees what pops in the inbox. Not that there is anything terribly wrong with that...I'd just like to see next years National Champs somewhere that can get riders ready for World Champs next year. - That is all for now =]

EDIT- Idaho sounds good too....actually it sounds really good if they can have a track like they did in the old days. (5 years ago)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I would LOVE it to be at Vail. July sees frequent, short rain showers so we could get good track conditions with nice overall weather. They've hosted the World Cup and World championships. It's right on the side of a major interstate and you can drive there from most of the country in 20 hours or less. They've got great terrain and dirt. I'll send them an email right now.

Oh, it's also 40 minutes from my house.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Update on Vail. They have said NO this year due to construction....Really? that place has been under construction for like 6 years haha. Lets just hope they get there stuff together for a 2012 or 2013 venue. they finished the bridge at the bottom of the gondola, I wonder what else they could do. Keystone is still in the mix, thats still close enough for anyone and everyone!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Keystone is still in the mix, thats still close enough for anyone and everyone!
Hmm, I'd be less stoked for Keystone even though it's only 15 minutes from my house. The dirt is more minerally/loose than Vail and they'd definitely have to build a new top to bottom course. Also, no aspen sections with roots.

I wish you'd posted that about Vail before I wrote such a persuasive email to them. Here's hoping for 2012. See you guys at Northstar next year.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I havent been anywere outside of the west coast states to ride. But as far as complete kick your ass and have a true national champion track I think hood takes the cake. Its long, fast and very tech. Its less than an hour from a major airport and the venue can accomidate alot of people.

I really like the pa course the the hood course is a national camps type course in a good location.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Where would you run something comparable at N*?

The odds of a full new DH line at N* seems like its far fetched.

Ask Kidwoo, I ride like sh!t, but I can clean everything at N*. Mind you not at full speed, but I just can't see something as challenging as would be requisite.

Though I did like the Squallywood crack...

NWS

Chimp
Sep 19, 2010
Maybe in 2 years time Steven's Pass will be a possibility?
I snowboard in their terrain park all winter and I have a lot of respect for the people who set that up. However for a big multi-day event, I'd be a little concerned about lodging. The nearest hotel rooms are about 30-45 minutes away, and there aren't a whole lot of them. It's not like Whistler or Tahoe where there's a proper city at the base of the lifts, or just across the street.

Oh wait.... There is a mountaineer's club that owns a building with some bunk-beds on-site, but there's only a handful of beds, and the bathroom is down the hall. And if there's gonna be a race, I'm gonna reserve me a top bunk. :)

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Update on Vail. They have said NO this year due to construction....Really? that place has been under construction for like 6 years haha. Lets just hope they get there stuff together for a 2012 or 2013 venue. they finished the bridge at the bottom of the gondola, I wonder what else they could do. Keystone is still in the mix, thats still close enough for anyone and everyone!
Vail is always under construction, but it usually seems to be in the village. They recycle condos every few years.

Vail's interest in mt bikes has increased in the last 2 years (after a sharp decrease in previous years). They've had people with surveys asking the DH'ers what they'd like to see. But there are still not many people who ride there.

I'd like to see Vail build a new trail, there is so much potential at that mountain. Keystone would have to build a new one too. Keystone typically has better dirt than most CO resorts; but in reality in CO it comes down to recent precipitation.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
I personally think from a company standpoint...why wouldin't you want to improve the riding at your resort by hiring a trail building crew and letting them go at it. Small potatoes compared to some of the stuff those resorts get up to. in the summer all they can make money from is people riding the gondola and rent paid by restaurant and stuff. Vail could be really very good, and Keystone is good but does not have a top to bottom downhill track. Snowmass does a good job about their races but the finish line could maybe end on the grass in front of the stage instead of the hillside there for better viewing by the public. Northstar sucks ass a race track, not just Gypsy but the other ones too. It isn't that they aren't difficult enough, its just that its awkward and slow in most parts. The dust is fun, but thats only until you have to run a new chain and dust wipers day to day haha. What needs to happen is USAC needs to hirer a Downhill Trail Evaluation Committee that goes around to all the resorts and rides / builds tracks and talks to the venues owners to make sure the race goes off without a hitch. Real downhill does need to be thought out and planned for. I cant stand it when USAC just says yes to the lowest bidder and we get stuck with a crummy track that does not represent Downhill in full. Anyways, see you all at where ever we are next year and lets hope we get something worth racing.

P.S. Lelandjt - Sorry I didn't post that earlier, just found it in my mess of an inbox haha your letter should have an impact on future races though. Companies like to hold onto things they can invest in later.

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
Mt. hood sounds sweet, always wanted to race/ride in the PNW. Have they sent a request to host nationals? Do they even know that USAC is looking for a venue?

If I was to pick one venue for nationals on the East Coast it would be Windham. There are other mountains with potential but Windham has everything in place, and nationals would be a walk in the park compared to a Triple header WC finals.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Windham is good except it would be on the east coast...again. Middle of the country is still best. Although I agree the track is awesome.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
figured i'd chime in real quick... it's been literally over a month since the last time i've been on ridemonkey... & to be honest, don't expect any quick replies on the forum anytime soon. nothing against the forum.. i just have little time as it is right now. there is no offseason for me! lol so if you have questions, drop me a line via facebook or email

i haven't spoken to USAC since interbike about the National champs matter. although i'm not responsible for the national champs, since i've been running the Pro GRT, USAC has been discussing options & getting my advice as well (hopefully one day i'll get paid for this! haha) anyhow, here's some quick notes

YES the XC & DH national champs will be split starting in 2011. there were absolutely NO venues making a bid to host a gravity national champs. main issue being that venues wanted International racers at their events (i.e. they wanted Pro GRT, etc rather than National Champs). at the time of interbike.. i think USAC had talked to maybe 1 or 2 places who may have interest.

GRAVITY national champs DOES NOT have to be held on the 3rd weekend in july (like XC does). there are some details about UCI points & when the will be approved, but that depends on the date of the event... i won't bother getting into it furter. not a "huge" issue.

There is a good possibility that Gravity National Champs will piggybacking of a Pro GRT event. i don't know which, & i don't know for sure if that will be the case.

Like i said, i haven't spoken to USAC since Vegas.. so i donno if things have changed. All i'm really concerned with right now is the PRO GRT & my TEAM.