Quantcast

2011 World Championships: Champery

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Don't the juniors all race before the seniors at Worlds anyway? Seems like it would be unfair to compare times due to changing course/conditions etc.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Don't the juniors all race before the seniors at Worlds anyway? Seems like it would be unfair to compare times due to changing course/conditions etc.
There's another poster here who would probably argue that as well.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'd like to see gwin have a faster time then hill.

But I don't see that happening with how many headgames hill is playing right now. He's gotta have a strong hand if he's talking about how he can't even hold onto the bars on an xc ride, and he's planing on defending his world champ title at the steepest and gnarliest course on the circuit in a week. He is most definitely fycking with everybody, and will be ready to absolutely stomp everybody. Expect sh1tty seeding and a stomper race run. calling it right now. We've been waiting a few years for hill to finally get to win champery. It will be this year, and it will be by alot.

But like I said, I'll be pleasantly surprised if gwin is able to win. For god and country.

And because I like making fun of my friend at specialized whenever trek riders beat spec riders (and this has been a good year).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd like to see gwin have a faster time then hill.

But I don't see that happening with how many headgames hill is playing right now. He's gotta have a strong hand if he's talking about how he can't even hold onto the bars on an xc ride, and he's planing on defending his world champ title at the steepest and gnarliest course on the circuit in a week. He is most definitely fycking with everybody, and will be ready to absolutely stomp everybody. Expect sh1tty seeding and a stomper race run. calling it right now. We've been waiting a few years for hill to finally get to win champery. It will be this year, and it will be by alot.

But like I said, I'll be pleasantly surprised if gwin is able to win. For god and country.

And because I like making fun of my friend at specialized whenever trek riders beat spec riders (and this has been a good year).
but here's the thing... hill's done this before. So i suspect that the other racers can see right through it. Heck, we're on the internet and can see right through it! Plus, Gwin has serious momentum with all his wins. That's something that sammy doesn't.

also, p-spec, i am currently drinking a beer :cheers: If gwin wins, during his 60 minutes of partying, he will consume exactly 31.5 ounces of beer.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
id have to say val de sol looks alot gnarlier
Been to both in person. Negative.
Val di Sole you could have fun on, riding it at world cup race pace is gnarly.
Champery, you're a minor mistake away from carnage everywhere no matter what pace. Camera angles and photos really don't give a true reflection of how steep it is.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Gwin trains hard and goes 7/7 next year with the champs win? perfect season?
Not with the riders coming up. Gwin was good this year, that's all anyone else will let him have. Everyone right now is in good contention for a podium, Gwin has just been one step ahead. Anyone in the top 15 after Val di Sole, +/- a few, will be on the podium at least once or twice next year, if not on the top box.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
No, I was taping the course all day yesterday. That is a local pinner named Benji Rouiller who is 16 yrs old. I asked him to do a helmet cam run for DIRT. You guys weren't supposed to find it so fast.

How about those finish line jumps?
I've always wondered what kind of parents let their 16 year old do that kind of stupid sh*t. But, that helmet cam is awesome. The track looks f-ing nuts. I can't stop watching it. I MUST come attempt that track.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I've always wondered what kind of parents let their 16 year old do that kind of stupid sh*t. But, that helmet cam is awesome. The track looks f-ing nuts. I can't stop watching it. I MUST come attempt that track.
Haha, Benji's Mom is just like a "Soccer Mom" but for BMX and DH. She takes him to all the races and they camp out in a VW Westfalia. She is the mechanic, driver, photog, etc... He has always wanted to be a DHer and rode BMX just to build up his skills when he was too small/young to ride DH. Him and his mom are good peeps!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Haha, Benji's Mom is just like a "Soccer Mom" but for BMX and DH. She takes him to all the races and they camp out in a VW Westfalia. She is the mechanic, driver, photog, etc... He has always wanted to be a DHer and rode BMX just to build up his skills when he was too small/young to ride DH. Him and his mom are good peeps!
The swiss version of Stevie Smith and his mom?!;)
It's awesome to have that support from family! :thumb:

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
finish looks much better than last year if its going to be wet! that last corner to jump in the world cup 2010 looked like a bit of a struggle to fully clear in the mud but this looks like it will run fast. cant wait for the coverage of this race to start

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
That kid is ripping it for sure, although the helmet cam does the track no justice at all for how steel and technical that track is.

I rode it during this and the previous summer and absolutely loved it, it's so mentally and physically intense top to bottom, watching all my friends at the top with faces of terror, scared to ride down it but then at the bottom grinning ear to ear, dying to get back up for another run!! I reckon I can be fairly handy on a bike but the thoughts of having to push it to world cup level race pace down such a steep hard track is beyond belief! BuckoW it's looking great with those finish jumps, would love to give them a go sometime. Well done!

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Respect to the kid riding in the headcam vid. And anyone who can ride it fast really. I tried to ride that course last year. I failed.

I think the odds are for Gwin all things considered. I'm still sceptical Hill will be up to World Champ winning fitness even though it's a course for him. So its gonna be exciting to find out.

Interesting no one has mentioned Gee though. It's not like he won there last year or anything. Oh wait...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I really don't see Gwin winning here. He's obviously an amazing rider, and fit enough, but I think it would be a stretch to say he's as technicaly proficient as some of the other guys which is where you need to excel on this track it seems, notably Gee, Hart, Brosnan, and Hill. I predict one of those on the top step, with Gwin somewhere on the box. I don't see Minnar having an answer here, and I predict Rat Boy Brice will position better than him here.

Looking forward to an amazing race, and I woudn't be supprised to see some new faces on the podium here.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not with the riders coming up. Gwin was good this year, that's all anyone else will let him have. Everyone right now is in good contention for a podium, Gwin has just been one step ahead. Anyone in the top 15 after Val di Sole, +/- a few, will be on the podium at least once or twice next year, if not on the top box.
do you really think that after a gunner season like this that gwin won't be working his ass off to step it up for next year (just like everyone else)? he knows he's got a bulls eye on his back.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Obviously Brosnan will win the Juniors.

But for men it's a tough call. I think the young guns are in an advantage on this track. It seems you just need mad bike handling skills on this track. And that's where Hart, MacDonald or Hill and Gee excel.

But maybe we all should bet on gWIN...:think:

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I have no idea who is going to win this one.

As someone else said, it would make me chuckle if Hill came back & smashed everyone, although I think those days have gone for this season.

Any one of the young guys would be good to mix it up a bit, apart from Danny Hart (because his dad is a weapons grade c*nt).

Would have been nice if Fairclough could have stepped up to this one, he should have sacked this season off rather than having a nothing year and compromising next years with fairly major knee surgery.

I dread to think what he could be like if he got his head in the right place and knuckled down to a Gwin style training programme. The results could be devastating.

Good video too, still doesn't show the steepness of the track, or as someone else said, the consequences of getting it wrong. It's another level on from Vale di Sole. Fair play to the kid for hitting everything, those jumps at the bottom are a proper big boy set. Watching the amount of guys even at a World Cup bottle them was interesting, there was a lot of people binning it there last year too.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I really don't see Gwin winning here. He's obviously an amazing rider, and fit enough, but I think it would be a stretch to say he's as technicaly proficient as some of the other guys which is where you need to excel on this track it seems, notably Gee, Hart, Brosnan, and Hill. I predict one of those on the top step, with Gwin somewhere on the box. I don't see Minnar having an answer here, and I predict Rat Boy Brice will position better than him here.

Looking forward to an amazing race, and I woudn't be supprised to see some new faces on the podium here.
You're wrong. Rock jesus has way more tech skill then anybody else out there but sam hill. The reason you don't see crazy explosions and near OTB's that he miraculously pulls together is because he is better then that, and doesn't have crazy explosions. He has perfect tech skill.

But seriously, RJ is a hell of alot better then everybody else out there except eyebrows, who has obviously been working his ass off for fear of getting fired. And like last year, eyebrows season will be meh, save for that world champ win he'll have sitting around when the dust clears. This is fycking champery. Why has everybody suddenly forgotten that? Plus, he literally did this exact same thing last season, everybody discounted him, and then he won. At MSA, where the track is long and brutal, not the crazy steep tech stuff everybody associates him with.

top 3 will be seperated by 8 seconds, with eyebrows in first by 6, and RJ in second by 2.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
You're wrong. Rock jesus has way more tech skill then anybody else out there but sam hill. The reason you don't see crazy explosions and near OTB's that he miraculously pulls together is because he is better then that, and doesn't have crazy explosions. He has perfect tech skill.

But seriously, RJ is a hell of alot better then everybody else out there except eyebrows, who has obviously been working his ass off for fear of getting fired. And like last year, eyebrows season will be meh, save for that world champ win he'll have sitting around when the dust clears. This is fycking champery. Why has everybody suddenly forgotten that? Plus, he literally did this exact same thing last season, everybody discounted him, and then he won. At MSA, where the track is long and brutal, not the crazy steep tech stuff everybody associates him with.

top 3 will be seperated by 8 seconds, with eyebrows in first by 6, and RJ in second by 2.

Sorry for being right. RJ, while obviously the man to beat, is not a technical master by any stretch of the imagination. Kids with more skill are going to beat his time here. Mark my words.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

that is assuming that forehead caterpillar doesn't blow himself up again trying to annihilate the competition.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
do you really think that after a gunner season like this that gwin won't be working his ass off to step it up for next year (just like everyone else)? he knows he's got a bulls eye on his back.
I know he will be. I just think there will be others that will bust out much larger next year. Some young guns that will actually give him a run for his money next year. Sure he'll win a race or two, but I don't think that with the likes of Brosnan, Hart, Cole, etc.. That he'll have as dominating of a season.