Quantcast

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The best line was, "He wants this more than an out of work rapist". GOLD!
I was thinking he said "He's going harder than an out of work rapist." Either way, the booth got awkward I'm sure.:rofl:

I loved it when he said he phoned it in for 2 years because, and I paraphrase, "...they were still paying.":thumb:

This whole thing about Gwin partying versus training is silly. The guy admittedly never partied before DH, so why start now.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Just looked at the Vital slideshow. Awesome as usual. I'm thinking that if the girl in Gee's pit is his girlfriend, he is actually the winner.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Gwin is a cool guy glad to see he has had such a good season!!!

"That was one of the toughest tracks I've ever raced on. So many holes you couldn't see and lines blown out, it was a mission to keep your hands on the bars. I had a solid run and felt like I learned a ton this weekend. I feel incredibly blessed to have had the season I've had. I want to thank my team, Trek for the incredible carbon Session 9.9, Fox and Shimano for giving me the greatest product and support, and my mechanic Monkdawg who is always on it. God has been great to me this year, and I'm extremely proud for all the American fans who have been so supportive trackside and on-line."

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Such a shame he's god squad. Nonetheless, he's had a great year and must be the man to beat at the World Champs.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
If they are both on the same team, I think Brosnan will out perform Hill and make things interesting in the Specialized camp...
nothing to take away from little troy (great season:thumb:), but i don't think there will be any doubt who the Nr 1 rider is/ will be (facts: WC 1-3: Sam: 9,8,5; Troy 23, 30, 15).

Not bad for a rider, who is rumored to have gained some weight!

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I think it's great he's God squad. Heaven knows there's plenty of bad examples of Christians out there, nice to finally see a good example of one.
I'm with you... yeah its not something we are used to hearing in our sport as opposed to the NBA where God has a personal stake in every game. :rofl:

But Gwin is low key about it. He no longer mentions God in his post race on camera interviews and he just sorta slipped in a "God has been good to me this year" rather than "I wanna thank the lord Jeebus for helping me to win today".

It continues to amaze me how absolutely PROFESSIONAL Gwin is. Kid is a pinnacle for the sport right now.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm with you... yeah its not something we are used to hearing in our sport as opposed to the NBA where God has a personal stake in every game. :rofl:

But Gwin is low key about it. He no longer mentions God in his post race on camera interviews and he just sorta slipped in a "God has been good to me this year" rather than "I wanna thank the lord Jeebus for helping me to win today".

It continues to amaze me how absolutely PROFESSIONAL Gwin is. Kid is a pinnacle for the sport right now.
I agree, but at least his riding makes up for how boring he is in interviews. His riding is off the hook motoring through crazy sh1t and making it look easy, and he's steezy on the jumps too, and he's not afraid to throw a big bar hump here and there. I'd definitely agree that his riding makes up for how boring and humdrum his interviews are.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Such a shame he's god squad. Nonetheless, he's had a great year and must be the man to beat at the World Champs.
I took offense at first, since I'm reactionary about the topic, but he's low-key about it.

FSM, jeebus or Yaweh, as long as it's not the moto-style "JESUS! was with me today," then I can't find fault.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I think it's great he's God squad. Heaven knows there's plenty of bad examples of Christians out there, nice to finally see a good example of one.
That is a good point but like many I'm suspicious of anyone who believes such nonsense. The reason I said is was a shame is that he would be far more popular in Europe if he was just a quiet professional American kid who smashes everyone. He'd be the opposite of the typical loud USA, USA type and it would be impossible not to like him.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

WTF? So are you saying if he was like, oh, I dunno, Cedric Gracia then he would be like the typical ugly American and all the euros would hate him?

IMO, he has been the very incarnation of a quiet professional who has kicked the dog offal out of the field for 5 of 7 races this season. Yeah, he has thrown in a few invisible friend comments early on, but I don't think it's necessarily over the top. And this is coming from someone who prefers the old Norse Gods (i.e. they were real men and rode bikes with 59* HAs and 7" BBs) compared to modern Christian mythology.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
That is a good point but like many I'm suspicious of anyone who believes such nonsense. The reason I said is was a shame is that he would be far more popular in Europe if he was just a quiet professional American kid who smashes everyone. He'd be the opposite of the typical loud USA, USA type and it would be impossible not to like him.
I see where you're coming from, but to be honest, the USA's reputation in Europe is so far gone Gwin is not going to make any difference. I lived in the UK for 6 years during the Bush years and travelled Europe, and they basically all think we are intellectually and politically insane. The latest crop of presidential hopefuls only cements their opinions. We've got guys who want to be president stating they don't believe in global warming, and Europe is just shaking their heads in disbelief.

Anyway, I've never seen anything bad come out of true Christianity, bad things only come out of religion when man distorts the message in order to use it to their own advantage.

PS - Hope I'm not breaking any RM etiquette here...religion and politics, yikes!

Last edited:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Anyway, I've never seen anything bad come out of true Christianity, bad things only come out of religion when man distorts the message in order to use it to their own advantage.
I get what you mean here but...the Bible has been translated so many times it can be argued that it has been distorted for advantage already.

Gwin can believe whatever he wants, I don't care. I've met him in person a few times, even camped for a weekend with him when he was riding for Yeti out in CO.

He never mentioned it even sitting around the campfire just talking. Most topics were about bikes, trucks, hunting, drinking (I know he doesn't drink, the rest of us were;)) and girls.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

PS - Hope I'm not breaking any RM etiquette here...religion and politics, yikes!
selective thinking. who are you to judge what is true imaginary frienship?;)

as for the crazy us part - visit poland. peple for some reason idolise the states, we even share the habbit of voting stupid :)

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Unfortunately, I think we need a new rule that deletes all WC threads after 3 days before all the stupid irrelevant sh1t starts getting posted..

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I think Sam's going to be on a mission to smash it on his favorite track. But will he have what it takes to keep it together, the bar just got raised so high this year. Look at everyone struggling to keep up.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
On a riding related subject (yes really!), did Matti Lehikoinen really knock himself out in Sunday practise then get the O.K. to race??!?!

Haven't heard anything other than the Warner/Page conversation during the Freecaster broadcast, but if that really happened it's possibly one of the most stupid things I've heard of in this sport! I can't think of any other sport that would let someone compete after a head injury

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
On a riding related subject (yes really!), did Matti Lehikoinen really knock himself out in Sunday practise then get the O.K. to race??!?!

Haven't heard anything other than the Warner/Page conversation during the Freecaster broadcast, but if that really happened it's possibly one of the most stupid things I've heard of in this sport! I can't think of any other sport that would let someone compete after a head injury
strange. in boxing/mma you get a susp after a ko.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Racing with a concussion (which is how Warner and Page labeled it) is foolish.
and if left up to the rider, they're always gonna ride - the chance of glory after a nasty crash. Look at zink and redbull rampage - dude trys a 360 off a 40 foot drop, crashes, eats ****, gets concussion, and 15 minutes later does it again. That they didn't pull him from the race is crazy.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Who cares about jesus. What I want to know is how gwinn manages to stay so completely centered and solidly positioned over any and all terrain. The guy rides like a hovercraft.

Oh wait.....maybe that IS jesus.

Fvcker floats over rocks instead of walking on water. From now on, I will only refer to him as Rock Jesus.

Any way, seriously.......how does Rock Jesus ride without moving his arms and legs? I know he's hitting gnarly things on the ground but he never moves. I doubt his bike setups are THAT different from what everyone else is running. That dude must have evolved straight ape strength. Rock Jesus evolving strength from apes......... Whodathunk?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Who cares about jesus. What I want to know is how gwinn manages to stay so completely centered and solidly positioned over any and all terrain. The guy rides like a hovercraft.

Oh wait.....maybe that IS jesus.

Fvcker floats over rocks instead of walking on water. From now on, I will only refer to him as Rock Jesus.

Any way, seriously.......how does Rock Jesus ride without moving his arms and legs? I know he's hitting gnarly things on the ground but he never moves. I doubt his bike setups are THAT different from what everyone else is running. That dude must have evolved straight ape strength. Rock Jesus evolving strength from apes......... Whodathunk?

Aaron is a biblical name... but maybe we should call him Moses instead of Aaron. Leading the US DH scene out of the darkness, toward the promised land :D

But yeah, he does stay amazingly centered and composed over the most gnarly looking stuff. It looks like a mix of strength, training and mad skills. Really happy for Aaron.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Any way, seriously.......how does Rock Jesus ride without moving his arms and legs? I know he's hitting gnarly things on the ground but he never moves. I doubt his bike setups are THAT different from what everyone else is running.
That pretty much exactly describes how Sam rides too. He just floated over the ground at Val di Sole a couple of years ago.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That pretty much exactly describes how Sam rides too. He just floated over the ground at Val di Sole a couple of years ago.
Rock Jesus is much moreso in my opinion. Sam looked mostly like he was still riding a bike. Definitely some similarities though. I just think Rock Jesus is even more hovercraft.

That said, I'd love to see hill come across the line with his arm flapping off his body with a commanding win. But I'd also like to see him open his mouth when he speaks and quit wearing flat biller hats. Neither seem to be a likely reality though for the near future.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008

Seems like Page would know, and as stupid as it is for him to race, I guess it worked out. That was Matti's best race in years.