Quantcast

2011 Yeti 575 hanger flaw?

Smelserm

Chimp
Sep 11, 2012
Ashland, Oregon
I bought a year end yeti in December last year. I am wondering if anyone else is having trouble with the fragility of the rear hanger. I have ridden the bike quite a bit, but never had a catastrophic crash on it. I have gone through three hangers since April. The hangers break at times when it doesn't seem they should. The second hanger broke while I was riding and I hadn't hit anything. It then subsequently sucked the derailleur into the spokes.

I was just wondering if anyone else is going through hangers as fast as me. Other than that, the bike rides on rails and climbs like a goat.

Smelserm

Chimp
Sep 11, 2012
Ashland, Oregon
Well I'm running a single ring in front with a light chain guide. It's a 36 tooth ring and I have an 11-36 cassette. When I set it up, I did take about 4 links out. When it broke while hitting small jumps, I was almost in my top gear, which would give my chain plenty of room to work with the suspension. I'm no bike mechanic, but I'm almost positive I have plenty of chain.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well I'm running a single ring in front with a light chain guide. It's a 36 tooth ring and I have an 11-36 cassette. When I set it up, I did take about 4 links out. When it broke while hitting small jumps, I was almost in my top gear, which would give my chain plenty of room to work with the suspension. I'm no bike mechanic, but I'm almost positive I have plenty of chain.
Go into your largest gear combo, pull the shock, then go through the travel. As for the failures, I have been riding my 575's hard for 4 years with no issues. It sounds like you might have mechanical issues. Have you checked your freehub body at all?

Smelserm

Chimp
Sep 11, 2012
Ashland, Oregon
Go into your largest gear combo, pull the shock, then go through the travel. As for the failures, I have been riding my 575's hard for 4 years with no issues. It sounds like you might have mechanical issues. Have you checked your freehub body at all?
Ok, I'll give that a try. I haven't checked the free hub body, but with the cassette on it's not loose. I always wiggle the cassette around to make sure everything still has tight clearances. What would the free hub body have to do with a hanger breaking?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok, I'll give that a try. I haven't checked the free hub body, but with the cassette on it's not loose. I always wiggle the cassette around to make sure everything still has tight clearances. What would the free hub body have to do with a hanger breaking?
If it is bunching up, then the chain can flip into the wheel. That will cause the derailluer to pull into the wheel, breaking the hanger.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Bad freehub bodies can lay in the weeds and seize up randomly even if it has no play and is spinning nicely, especially on shimano XT and lower models. If you take the wheel off and quickly rotate the the cassette back and forth you can sometimes get it to seize for a second, which would be enough to destroy your hanger if you're landing a jump. If the chain is the correct length I have a hard time thinking of what else could cause this.

IdLuv2

Chimp
Oct 2, 2011
A, A
These hangers break on a whim. If they've been bent previously, they will snap. I keep two with me at all times. A bit of advice, NEVER drop with your bike in the top gear. There is no need to anyway. Also if your derailleur has any "play" in it, due to extended use (I ran into this with shimano xt til I switched to sram x9). Since I run SRAM, no problems with the derailleur going into the spokes. BTW, whoever said Yeti builds "all" of their bikes with Shimano, you are incorrect. The 2011 575 Enduro is a Sram build. Thank God!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
not referring to the tightness of the casette itself, but the actual rotational motion of the freehub body in the freehub shell. If too heavy / thick of a grease is used, it can cause rotational drag (there can be other sources of drag - dirt, over tension of the hub, etc). this drag can cause slack in the chain when not pedaling, which leads to chain suck.