Quantcast

2012/2011 Shimano XT or XTR for stopping fatty?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm a large man. Like 240# of bro goo in a set of lycra shorts.

And as a large man, I need a little more than the 150# skinny bastards when it comes to stopping the forward progress of my corpse down a hill.

I've looked at the Saints. And the prices are coming down. However, I hear really good things about the new version of the XT/XTR stoppers.

Anyone played with them? Anyone LARGE played with them?

For a reference I've been riding Gustavs for 5 years, and I love them. However, they are going on the old bike to its new home.

As always, any help/guidance/"jeesus you're a fat fvck" is always appreciated.

chup29

Chimp
Sep 9, 2009
Ashland
im 195 with new xt's on my trail bike and new xtr's on my dh bike - they are awesome... ive never had an issue stopping, definitely put 8 inch rotors on though, but id say if your really worried about it, just get the saints and be happy - more than enough power for anyone...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I was thinking that too, but I like the new ICE tech idea, and the vented calipers, all of that. Are they going to that for the 2012 Saints?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Have a buddy who's 250# of (m)ass running the XTR's on his V10, isn't a slow dude, hasn't had a single problem since early spring. I'd rock em.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Did you see my post in the Formula RO thread about the $210 price (includes rotor/adapter) on 2010 The Ones? What's your budget?

I'm 195 lb w/o gear, running 203 mm / 180 mm rotors, plenty of power.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
saint

xtr was built with trailbike/xc lightness in mind. I'm sure they stop well...but are they really meant for DH? I wonder if this is like people saying that elixirs are good for DH.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I need to say that the hybrid XTR/Saint setup works amazing. IMO the new saint levers are junk, I had sent them back to shimano. Went with XTR Trails.

The Trail levers are the nicest lever I have ever seen and the feel is fantastic. Paired up with the saint calipers its a sick combo.

The ONLY thing I have noticed is that the XTR Trail levers are shorter than the saint, I had to run slightly shorter grips to get the feel I wanted.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I need to say that the hybrid XTR/Saint setup works amazing. IMO the new saint levers are junk, I had sent them back to shimano. Went with XTR Trails.

The Trail levers are the nicest lever I have ever seen and the feel is fantastic. Paired up with the saint calipers its a sick combo.

The ONLY thing I have noticed is that the XTR Trail levers are shorter than the saint, I had to run slightly shorter grips to get the feel I wanted.
I'm considering this setup as well and had a question. Which brake lines did you use? I believe the XTR trail brake lines have a slightly bigger ID than the Saints so I'm wondering what works.