Quantcast

2012 888 RC3 EVO Questions-

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
What spring do these come "stock"with? and Can the "stock" spring be tuned for a 200lb rider?
I have'nt been able to ride since march because of a back injury, and have lost 45 lbs since. I rode some small drops today with the extra firm spring, and it's way to stiff. Hopefully I can just swap back to the stock spring it came with, but as far as I can tell that spring is for riders under 180lbs.....

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The stock spring is a medium. It's on the soft side for a 'medium' (much softer than both RS and Fox mediums) and at roughly 180lbs with all gear I found it way too soft for any decent DH riding.

If you are currently 200lbs (and finding the x-firm too hard) you'd probably want to try a firm spring rather than the x-firm. If you have the stock spring then it might be worth trying if you are not riding at 100%, but personally at that weight I wouldn't even consider riding the stock spring.

Hope that is of some use.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
On an EVO Mk1, and using a firm spring with my 195 lbs of ambulatory trans fat. I bottomed the stock spring fairly easily, and it seemed like it sagged 40% or more (not to mention some brake dive). The firm spring seems perfect so far, as I only get full travel when I do something awesomely stupid, and I'm not running a lot of comp damping (VA all the way out).

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
Thanks. Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just order the firm spring. But out of curiosity, could I play with oil levels with either the medium or x-firm?

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
But you can't compensate a wrong spring rate with this. I would only do it as a temporary solution.