Quantcast

(2012) Polygon DH

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
Well I have some friends asking me how this frame rides.. and here's my *subjective* short term (3 months usage) review. Note : I've had 2006-2011 demo and still have 2008 sunday for comparison, and ridden some of current crop DH bikes (V10c/Phoenix/Glory/Wilson/Revolt/9.9/etc but haven't tried my friends' zerode). Once again this is my *subjective* review.

GEOMETRY
My polygon frame (size small) is about the same geo as small sunday (static 440mm rear, +10mm bb, forgot the toptube sorry, 1140mm wheelbase) but with 64deg HA as standard.

SUSPENSION
The so called FSS2's wheelpath seems more rearward (tough i haven't had time to make linkage template) - more square edge bump compliant than my sunday (same RC4 + RWC Needle bearing kit) but I can also feel more 'kick' somehow reminds me of my old intense 6.6, when pedaling. It sits quite high in it's travel during cornering (more like sunday than demo) even with RC4's LSC wide open.

HANDLING
I've added +1 angleset and now the wheelbase is 1160mm at 62,75deg HA (due to very short head tube, 100mm) and compared to my 63,50'ed sunday is a little bit slacker but the COG feels lower (just like a 2011 demo) - i can carry more speed through turns and bumps but again, doesn't pedal as well as demo or sunday. Overall for me the bike can be setup agile. The balance is somehow better with fox40 than a keronite boxxer IMHO.

WEIGHT
I have to check my scale photos again for front/rear triangle and linkage parts details, but it's about 5.2 Kilos for frameset (w/ RC4 and steel spring) small, powder coated. Of course I made mine a little bit lighter (BB module holes, shortened seat tube, etc)

SHORTCOMINGS
Of course nothing is perfect, and this frame still has some little issues that hopefully can be updated in next version : shock removal/access/compatibility and cable routing (I've modified the RD hose route and will give some inputs to the designer, who is actually my friend)

FINAL THOUGHTS
Considering the 'underdog-ness' this frame is quite good and potent actually. And that's not even considering the low price yet. I love mine.. :)

*will be updated. cheers.

early 2013 : this bike is now with 888 V2 (ti internals) and 62.75 HA

*update sep 2013 :

After 1 season on smallish S size, finally got my 'factory' frame :

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10143870/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10143919/

the angles are different, but suspension felt about the same.. 62.5 HA without angleset, and wheelbase is longish 1240mm (10mm 888 drop)

my RC4 (pre 2013) settings = BO -2 turns from max volume. HSC and LSC 2 turns from fully open. (match the 888 but for 40 and boxxer you might need more LSC HSC)

cheers!

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I assume you work for them. Any prices? Can't find any on the web and the bikes seem nice.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So it's not a catalog bike?

Also is it only me or does the front end look strangely high for some reason?

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
@bullcrew
Yes i've been following your progress as well, sundays M9 and now phoenix. I think your components selection, setup nicely and your reviews are accurate. In my opinion tho, the sunday with RC4 and offset HA is lighter and as good handling wise as phoenix, and I like the regresive ending stroke of sunday better than the slightly more progressive phoenix somehow.

@norbar
No. I work in industrial design department at university that have some projects with polygon, mainly commuter bike concepts, design competition and student internships. The chief designer is from my uni as well. For 2012-13 race season, our 'fun' team consist of 6 masters (35+) are using this local brand. No business or profit relationship.

About the catalog bike, It's sensitive issue but I think the first 3 models are co-developed with Taiwanese factory, many of people thought its direct copy but if you look into the details it's actually different (the similar-to-astro/khs mules are actually developed and raced here by their elite teams couple years before shown in other form/brand, have adjustable wheelbase and HA) - So, it's never just a catalog bike IMHO, they develop it together, it makes sense to do that as polygon's main market is commuter, road and OEM for other brand, mainly hardtail. Polygon have a very BIG factory in eastern java for that. You can also check their website

For this 4th model, they say, it's completely their design. It's been developed and raced by their factory team locally and regionally since 2010 I believe, and mine is their 'production' version, but in different color than their web models.
About the bike seems 'high' front end, it's actually very low stack (only 100mm head tube length) but I set it up like my previous sunday (with some spacers, 38mm rise handlebar, +15mm crown AC to keep the BB height) - remember that this is 'small' size as well - and the mid-rear is very low.. here's side-by-side with sunday :

cheers..

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Your front brake cable routing is all kinds of driving me nuts. Please fix that for me.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
Your front brake cable routing is all kinds of driving me nuts. Please fix that for me.
You're not the only one :rofl: :

Well actually there's reason for that, my setup is right=front (moto) and all of my bikes have one 'neat' combined line from right side, loops outside forks stanchions and come into the frame from the left.. easy for number plate placement, fork/brake/shifter/handlebar removal, even better with my AM and DJ bikes. That's my setup since 2005 with marz 66 and it's been copied by many of my friends.. :p

anyway this is my shameless self promo action shot (so you can see my cable setup more) LOL

cheers..

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@bullcrew
Yes i've been following your progress as well, sundays M9 and now phoenix. I think your components selection, setup nicely and your reviews are accurate. In my opinion tho, the sunday with RC4 and offset HA is lighter and as good handling wise as phoenix, and I like the regresive ending stroke of sunday better than the slightly more progressive phoenix somehow.
Shock set up makes a big difference i bottomed the sunday hard a couple times i like the last bit not dropping off it keeps me from slamming when im already deep in travel.
The list continues on bikes ive had...lol but the phoenix is more responsive to rider input then the Sunday was.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Once again this is my *subjective* review.
That's a pretty honest and objective review I think! Nice action pic too.
How tall are you?

Shock set up makes a big difference i bottomed the sunday hard a couple times i like the last bit not dropping off it keeps me from slamming when im already deep in travel.
Like bismojo said, you really need the RC4 for that frame to work as well as it can - no fancy tuning, no avalanche or push work, and especially no taking out the boost valve assembly. The only change I made to mine was making the IFP volume slightly smaller than stock to increase progression even further.

No doubt there are better frames out there these days that are also less sensitive to shock choice, but if you want a Sunday to work well, that's the key.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Like bismojo said, you really need the RC4 for that frame to work as well as it can - no fancy tuning, no avalanche or push work, and especially no taking out the boost valve assembly. The only change I made to mine was making the IFP volume slightly smaller than stock to increase progression even further.

No doubt there are better frames out there these days that are also less sensitive to shock choice, but if you want a Sunday to work well, that's the key.
Never tried the rc4 but the dhs was a lot better modded by craig and kept the stock reservoir with bottom out. Wanted to try a rc4 never got a chance to.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
*small update* the new model year frame will get this molded downtube & chainstay protector plus built-in fork bumper, along with other small tweaks..

also there will be an official announcement for the WC team partnership tomorrow..

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
The team rumor said Holly to Poly, so without having any actual insider knowledge, the conclusion that UR and Poly creating a partnership would make a lot of sense. I think it would be great to have another massive brand putting money into a big team like UR, and Poly definitely has the collateral.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
Yes Fraser but they are finalizing details and will post 'official' announcement.. I have so many photos to share! hahaha..

BTW I saw you last November down here, too bad didn't got a chance to talk to you.. nice photos considering heavy rain and things, hope to see you again sometime!

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
That's Couscous' bike.. the rest of the team are using Gobis.. (for now)

Also clean & simple graphics for HUR team.. I like it.

Nov 16, 2012
@bismojo: is the team by any chance going to participate in enduro races? megavalanche etc. Great job for Polygon though, one step at a time :)

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
mick and tracey just won australian national champ DH this afternoon.. (mick with 2 seconds to spare, tracey with titanium still on her femur).. so not bad for 1st race with new bikes.

@dimas yes they have AXX bikes already but i'm not sure they will race enduro.. better check their website.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
@monarch

similar but not the current one, Mick's latest proto (WC #3 - #6 and Worlds) is the one with vertical shock and counter rotating linkage (FS3), only 2 in existence i believe. for WC #1 - #2 and the rest of the team this season they use to older/production one like this but different (lighter) FRO tubing and few mm different linkage kinematics, special for the HUR team. i'm just a 3rd priority below local (elite) Polygon Factory Team (also have custom frame with slightly higher BB for pedalling in local track)

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast

i was going to send you a PM about this and my operator.. but your inbox is full =(

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
Cant help with your kona operator as i havent ridden one.. anyway got few updates for my bike (modified 30mm RF stem, internal rd cable guides at rear arm and painted the 888)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10143870/

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
Finally got my 3rd Polygon DH sample, this time with couple of improvements on cable routing (checkout my 1st review) also longer headtube with ZS56 standard (from 55) and groves for easier bearing removal on the BB module.

Geometry got revised as well (shorter TT and slightly higher BB than #2 but still much longer and slacker than #1)

So far this is (for me) the best version yet, will test this with vivid air + wolftooth and will see how it goes..