Quantcast

2012 prototypes: keep 'em coming!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
As the new worldcup season is in the start holes, companys are showing what they've got. Yeti, Scott and Specialized with new frames, Shimano with some proto parts and now even Sram. I thought to make one thread about al the new stuff we'll see in 2012.
So lets start:

Sram has a couple of new pieces for their blackbox riders in their program:

Seems like there is a new volume adjustment feature on their shocks. Sounds interesting!

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Enve should just do an integrated bar-stem-crown. Makes a lot more sense for their material of choice. No strange metal to carbon sharp interfaces like in alu stem to carbon bar.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Proto Vivids where spotted 3 weeks ago before PMB.

Looks like Danny Hart has one proto Vivid with DLC coated stroke

Location of the adjustment knobs on the Vivid reminds me of that from a WP shock

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i couldnt find it in the manual but what is the threaded portion in the middle of the gold on the xtr levers? the xt's dont have it

TWilks

Chimp
Feb 25, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
i couldnt find it in the manual but what is the threaded portion in the middle of the gold on the xtr levers? the xt's dont have it
Does that have anything to do with this thread? :confused:
clicked wrong thread maybe? haha

On another note, kinda disappointed they aren't using the finned brake pads on the proto saint brakes

Last edited:

dylan s

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010

Seems like there is a new volume adjustment feature on their shocks. Sounds interesting!
Maaan i kind of hate it when they show prototypes. As i was considering getting an air shock in the near future and the vivid air was under consideration. But now there would no way i would buy a vivid air with a new model possibly coming out in the nearish future.

But thats the bike industry for you.

Anyone using clutch derailleur currently? Are they a gimmick or are they legit?

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Enve should just do an integrated bar-stem-crown. Makes a lot more sense for their material of choice. No strange metal to carbon sharp interfaces like in alu stem to carbon bar.
you know thats a hell of an idea...take the most common rise, and let folks play with spacers/risers to get the adjustments down...Wonder why this isnt happening yet?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I figured these would pop up soon enough. (With their rumored launch at Sea Otter in a month...)
Im sure the scott team will do just fine on that thing, but i am blown away by how ugly it is...I mean it's really awful...

Hopefully it's somewhat of a mule and they will refine it quite a bit.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Doubt it, those links look pretty well finished....which leads me to another question...that sinister had a "nice" thrust link that could be adjusted for HA and BB height. Why not incorporate that into the scott linkage and get some adjustability?

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i dunno, its deffo got some ugly going on, but to mee looks a bit like the ugly of the devinci SP wilson, looks a bit poop at first, then grow on ya.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Im sure the scott team will do just fine on that thing, but i am blown away by how ugly it is...I mean it's really awful...

Kinda like the Knucklebox? Whose design is that, Diamondback? When it was first introduced it looked gawdawful, but it's been refined over the seasons and doesn't look too bad now. I'm thinking that's going to be hard with the "scissor-link"... but who knows.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca

KHE came out with something like this for bmx. it was called the anchor bar/stem combo. Anyways, that business snapped and nobody really felt comfortable running them.

I know leverage is different on these much-lower dh bars, but still. If a bar moves in it's stem, it's almost always saving some other part. less bends, less cracked faceplates blahblahblah.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
you know thats a hell of an idea...take the most common rise, and let folks play with spacers/risers to get the adjustments down...Wonder why this isnt happening yet?
don't you have any preference for degree of rotation of your bars in the stem clamp then? or stem length for that matter?

if the price of their rims is anything to go by it'd be an insane amount of money to drop on something unlikely to actually suit more than a very small % of riders.. hmmm... actually, come to think of it, sounds a fairly valid addition to ENVEs current product line :D

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
a top crown and stem combo, similar to those made by Hope, Burgtec and Chunked but in Carbon would make more sense than a bar, stem, crown combo which would lack adjustability and be a real PITA to try and manufacture.