Quantcast

2012 SJ FSR Comp Carbon 29er vs Comp 29er

mhmtbike

Chimp
Oct 13, 2011
I'm looking to purchase a 2012 SJ FSR 29er. I'm not sure if I should purchase the comp carbon or the comp? It is going to the carbon frame worth the extra $1100 buck?

Would it be better to go with the SJ FSR Comp 29er and upgrade or change some parts? i.e. bars, stem, seat, dropper post?

The bike is speced the same with the exception of the frames.

Any insight?:)

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Ill offer my .02 here but I don't think I will be terrifically helpful.

I have a 2011 Al SJ Comp, I absolutely love it. Aside from the rear hub, bars and stem I was very impressed with the build out of the box. My bike is plenty stiff and responsive as is. It can be sluggish at times but I attribute the majority of that to the rider and not the bike.

That being said, I have a couple friends that have gone to carbon and wont go back. XC-DH the ride is just better. It was nothing to do with the weight at all, their praise is all about the ride quality, it's stiff and reduces vibration feedback to the rider. $1100 more? For me I would have to swing a leg over it to fully convince myself.

Also, http://bikestuffreviews.com/2011/01/20/carbon-fiber-mountain-bikes-a-brilliant-idea-is-it/

Last edited: