Quantcast

2012 Specialized

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I derailed the Trek thread so I thought I'd start a separate soap opera here for the lonely housewifes out there to spread their rumors. Here is what I think should or will happen.

Demo - carbon frame, but probably a year away
SX Trail - used to be the talk of the town but lost it's luster. Sexy revamp for 2012
Enduro - Time for a new, better-looking frame design. Plus, everyone else has gone 150mm with 32s in this category. Spec only has one 150mm bike. I say the break the line in 2 with half 160 and half 150. OR
Stumpy - do a 140-150 split here since they have Camber in the lineup.

Time to mix up the component specs a little too. Add some shimano this year.

Yeah, I'm wrong, but I got to spend a few minutes as a product manager and contribute some e-spec to the world.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
FSR patent runs out next year, Specialized to develop new suspension platform?
Influx of cheaper knock-off catalogue Demo-Alikes ?

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
A carbon Demo under the S-Works badge would be neat. It seems like a lot of companies are jumping on the carbon train.

I bet Sam Hill was injured when he was testing a carbon frame that exploded like the internet says carbon frames will all do.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
A carbon Demo under the S-Works badge would be neat. It seems like a lot of companies are jumping on the carbon train.

I bet Sam Hill was injured when he was testing a carbon frame that exploded like the internet says carbon frames will all do.
e-rumor of the day. I'm sure you're right

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
You want to elaborate on that one? The 2011 is awesome and is the best bike by far they've ever made under that name. Tubes in a different spot increases 'luster?' Honest question, I don't know how that works.
That was meant from a pure marketing perspective - nothing against actual performance. I only say that because the buzz around the bike has seemed to have died recently compared to what it used to be, which usually results in marketing departments coming up with new paint, shapes, and acronyms.

Quite frankly though, i don't pay much attention to this category anymore because I just can't justify a bike in this range when I have a Dh and 160. I can certainly see where i would use it but would only consider one if I didn't see the need for a full-on dh anymore.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
I am curious about the 2012 Pitch. It should look a bit like last year's Enduro, or maybe we'll get a Pitch EVO!

The last product image in their catalog is 7748, which is grips. We'll have to check back later for image 7749.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That was meant from a pure marketing perspective - nothing against actual performance. I only say that because the buzz around the bike has seemed to have died recently compared to what it used to be, which usually results in marketing departments coming up with new paint, shapes, and acronyms.

Quite frankly though, i don't pay much attention to this category anymore because I just can't justify a bike in this range when I have a Dh and 160. I can certainly see where i would use it but would only consider one if I didn't see the need for a full-on dh anymore.
That's the thing though. Your '160' is probably a 30lb (or less) trail bike right? Love or hate the word, a 'freeride' bike like the sx isn't about travel, it's about being able to ride slightly mellower than full blown dh trails on a bike that's pretty much built like a dh bike but is more efficient a lot of the time. Local shuttles, bike parks, the occassional (or frequent) climb to a trail with some gnarly sections or big jumps you wouldn't want to throw your lighter trail bike into as hard. There's enough of that riding where I live that it's definitely justified.......and in no way replaces my dh bike. It's just odd to me that you see that bike as having lost its luster because in my mind it's one of the best in its 'class' by a long shot.....and way better a bike than when it was more popular in whatever circles give you that impression.

I'm just pissed because I want one but don't have the money right now. :D

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I was thinking the same thing about the sx trail. I would be way more tempted if it was still the 170mm travel version. I feel like having a bit of a weight advantage over a full dh bike used to be one of the draws to the sx trail.

I predict that the frame will change (hasn't it been the same for three years now?) and will be lighter, and I hope, a bit less travel. I just can't wrap my head around the 180mm version being much different from a demo 7-- weighs almost the same, geometry is very similiar-- does anyone have a lot of experience on the demo 7 and the new 180mm sx trail who can give a comparison?
Either way, I'm watching closely, because I really want one!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was thinking the same thing about the sx trail. I would be way more tempted if it was still the 170mm travel version.
10mm is a deal breaker? They also use a longer shock with a lower leverage ratio so the quality of the suspension should be more controlled/controllable over previous years.

I predict that the frame will change (hasn't it been the same for three years now?)
Not really (see above). And now you can be annoyed by the 142 rear end! I know I am.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
That's the thing though. Your '160' is probably a 30lb (or less) trail bike right? Love or hate the word, a 'freeride' bike like the sx isn't about travel, it's about being able to ride slightly mellower than full blown dh trails on a bike that's pretty much built like a dh bike but is more efficient a lot of the time. Local shuttles, bike parks, the occassional (or frequent) climb to a trail with some gnarly sections or big jumps you wouldn't want to throw your lighter trail bike into as hard. There's enough of that riding where I live that it's definitely justified.......and in no way replaces my dh bike. It's just odd to me that you see that bike as having lost its luster because in my mind it's one of the best in its 'class' by a long shot.....and way better a bike than when it was more popular in whatever circles give you that impression.

I'm just pissed because I want one but don't have the money right now. :D
I don't really disagree with any of that. I guess maybe I see the class as having lost its luster. Okay, maybe I'm just wrong.

Trust me, a bike like this is better suited to most of the DH trails that I normally ride and it would probably be better if I had one of these over my Demo. I'm just not willing to give up my DH bike yet. When it comes to justifying it, for me it means explaining to my wife why I need another bike, not to me why I need to spend money on this class. We come to sort of an agreement that 4 bikes, 5 surfboards, and 3 skis/snowboards is the limit. She doesn't understand my dive gear so no limits there yet.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
10mm is a deal breaker? They also use a longer shock with a lower leverage ratio so the quality of the suspension should be more controlled/controllable over previous years.

Not really (see above). And now you can be annoyed by the 142 rear end! I know I am.
Not so much the 10mm, but the geometry combined with a bit more travel has changed enough to make me wonder if it's really the same category as the original, or more of a demo 7 type of park rig.

Obviously the category lines are pretty blurred, and it's not enough to deter me from the bike, but just makes me wonder.

The biggest thing I need to do is just ride one of the 180mm versions. I know I loved my buddies '09.

...and I know, 135 was rad! oh well...

Usually when I hop on one of their bikes with a bunch of changes I'm not sure about, i'm usually convinced after a ride or two, so it will probably be the same here.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well with their horst link patents expiring soon, I'm surprised we haven't seen any new suspension designs outta morgan hill. Anyone know anything?

Otherwise I'm thinking the TW manufacturers will take a some market share....some significant market share, eventually.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not so much the 10mm, but the geometry combined with a bit more travel has changed enough to make me wonder if it's really the same category as the original, or more of a demo 7 type of park rig.

Obviously the category lines are pretty blurred, and it's not enough to deter me from the bike, but just makes me wonder.

The biggest thing I need to do is just ride one of the 180mm versions. I know I loved my buddies '09.

...and I know, 135 was rad! oh well...

Usually when I hop on one of their bikes with a bunch of changes I'm not sure about, i'm usually convinced after a ride or two, so it will probably be the same here.
Yeah man you should get a ride on one. They're really frikkin good bikes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well with their horst link patents expiring soon, I'm surprised we haven't seen any new suspension designs outta morgan hill. Anyone know anything?

Otherwise I'm thinking the TW manufacturers will take a some market share....some significant market share, eventually.
I saw some guys kicking around at downieville with some weird looking quad link things. It didn't have any logos on it but the van had specialized all over it and they were definitely kitted out in a bunch of big S clothing and such. I didn't get a really close look because they were kind of hurrying along, but it looked like a dw link with the shock horizontal.

I completely just made that up but that should be at least a good three threads worth right there.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Can't see them changing the FSR design anytime soon. Sure they'll be a lot more copies but I doubt any will work as well and or have anything like the level of detail in the frames.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I saw some guys kicking around at downieville with some weird looking quad link things. It didn't have any logos on it but the van had specialized all over it and they were definitely kitted out in a bunch of big S clothing and such. I didn't get a really close look because they were kind of hurrying along, but it looked like a dw link with the shock horizontal.

I completely just made that up but that should be at least a good three threads worth right there.
You are a total button pusher just like me...and yet everyone likes you. Must study your ways closer.:think: