Quantcast

2012 team rumour and speculation

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
If diamondback, KHS, Mongoose or similar were to pick up Strobel and Riffle I'd think that was a great partnership. But OneGhost? I doubt anyone who races for a living would be willing to ride for such a low level team.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Racers will most likely ride for anyone who will help pay for their season. period.

As for the OG comments, I ride one. It's a pretty damn good frame. Built really well, Im no pro so I cannot give a really good description but, I like the way it rides a lot. Super fast, really stable and seems to jump and corner well.

I find it humorous that you guys would sit here and try to slay companies that are building bikes. The Musashi isn't a catalog bike so you can't even just brush it off because of that. Dudes like Canfield, OG, FTW are all making bikes because they love it and want to contribute to the industry as well as maybe put some change in their pockets.

Trib, there are a few pro racers riding Musashi's. Low Level? If David can manage to pay for a elite mens team or rider to race he's done more than you could for the sport.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
That's somewhat irrelevant. He pays his bills and builds more bikes. How bikes are getting into peoples hands are his business. If he can sell below retail, afford to build more bikes and sponsor riders more power to him.

But to answer your question, I did some work for him. We traded time-to-bike and both my time and his price were really close. We both gave discounts on cost so I feel that I paid for it at or very close to retail. I don't regret it one bit.

But even without that happening if I had been in the position to buy a new frame I would have given the bike a shot. It's well priced and looks designed/engineered well and being reminiscent of the Sunday overall packaging I hoped it rode similar.

Last edited:

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
I agree B-holio. A lot of ignorant posters here who have little regard for peoples feelings. Their bikes are totally solid and their enthusiasm is great. No they are not a giant (no pun intended) big budget manufacturer, but to dis on them for that is just stupid. There is little doubt that they haven't contributed far more to the industry than the haters in this thread. I would ask how you would feel in their position reading your dips4it opinions of your efforts, but you probably haven't done anything worth evaluating. Whether they could have Luke or Duncan riding for them is not going to be decided here that's for sure.

Canfields are a great comparison. They are great guys, totally committed to the sport, and travel all over promoting their product which happens to be great as well. Would you hate on them.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
My guess would be Strobel on Diamondback. They've been designing a new DH sled for some time and probably getting ready to start giving it some press. What better than to have a local boy racing it at the WC. Pure speculation so we'll see what happens.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I was not trying to disrespect the bike or the company. All I was trying to say is that they both come off large teams (Giant, and MS evil) and moving to such a small company who will definitely not be able to offer the same support will not be a formula for a successful season. Im sure the bikes ride well enough for a rider of there ability to have good results with. Its the other things like travel cost, lodging, race pits, and race support that a company that small will struggle to handle. There is a reason there is no Canfield factory team.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Well, I know David is pursuing sponsorship for a Team. Whether or not he intends to have it be a WC or National team I'm not sure. I've worked with them on some team proposals.

I know the numbers David is seeking and I'm sure they are in-line with what it costs to run a small WC team.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I didn't slate OG's bikes at all, I just said they're a small company who currently only offer low level sponsorship. Strobel and Riffle are better than that. In a few years OG may have some more experience running a team and I hope it works out for them.

For now though you can't honestly believe that going from two high profile WC teams to a super small team is the best option for the Strobel and Riffle. There's got to be a half way point for them, for instance with one of the teams I mentioned previously.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I was not trying to disrespect the bike or the company. All I was trying to say is that they both come off large teams (Giant, and MS evil) and moving to such a small company who will definitely not be able to offer the same support will not be a formula for a successful season.
You mean even less support??? How should this work? Not being able to provide spare parts for frames (or spare frames), so basically not giving you the tools for the job, is bad support IMO. Probably OG can get them sorted on everything bike related but needs a big co-sponsor for the rest of the team setup. FWIW: Peaty had pretty good seasons on his own, private team.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
The best option for Luke and Duncan is going to someone(team) that can pay for their season, salary and training. Whoever that is.
Great point, the smaller team may not get them to the world cups but still gets them to races.

Big ups to any company getting racers to the events!!!! the costs are much harder on the small companies compared with the Giant etc.

I always thought of the khs as not so great a frame in my mind from the past, granted i am sure they have come a long way since the Dominatrix... Anyways, the team riders on them for many years are gong so dang fast I dont think it matters what they are riding as long as its a dh bike.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
You mean even less support??? How should this work? Not being able to provide spare parts for frames (or spare frames), so basically not giving you the tools for the job, is bad support IMO. Probably OG can get them sorted on everything bike related but needs a big co-sponsor for the rest of the team setup. FWIW: Peaty had pretty good seasons on his own, private team.
While Evil itself was having trouble getting them new frames, the MS Evil team - previously the MS Intense team now the MS Mondraker team provided quite a bit of other types of support and professionalism for their riders in the form of management, publicity, mechanics and of course- how many teams get one of these?:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Cue Evil Bikes hate/speculation in 3........ 2.............
They can do that all they want. It's just a little silly when people can't tell the difference between Evil Bikes and a team run by Markus Stoeckl that had Evil as a partner for a short time.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
They can do that all they want. It's just a little silly when people can't tell the difference between Evil Bikes and a team run by Markus Stoeckl that had Evil as a partner for a short time.
I am well aware of the fact that MS racing is one of the best run teams. However, part of the whole package is the bike. And to be competitive you need the whole package. My comment was more along the lines that OG could potentially provide a competitive bike and a smaller, but well run team might be beneficial for DRiff and Strobel if they get a co-sponsor paying the bills. A smaller setup doesn't necessarily need to be worse, hence why I mentioned Peaty's private run Orange-SRAM-???? team of old.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Do people realize that Riffle, before riding for Giant, rode "for" Chumba? I think he funded the team himself. He's not a bad rider but he had a shot with a big factory team and didn't produce big factory results. Like someone said before, if someone will pay some of the bills then he's ahead of most. We're not talking about a developing rider here.

I am honestly a little surprised that Neko is still with Trek.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
I agree. Bryceland didn't get the breakout out of Jr. that was expected either. In fact how many Jr's have lived up to the excitement out of Jr. other than Hart? I'm sure with coaching Neko will come to form. and with Gwin and Leov on the team it shouldn't take to long

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
ummm... Neko is only 19

It is called rider development/investing in future talent.

Much different than paying WC riders who are over 25 and have peaked in terms of results

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Pascal, Gracia, Vouilloz, Gee, Hill, Minnaar, Rennie, McDonald, Fairclough, Blenkinsop, come to mind as riders who lived up to expectations quickly. Some like Cole, Matti, and Bryceland have taken a bit longer, and plenty more have fallen off the pace quickly after leaving the Jr ranks (Cavalier, Cunningham, Kurtz, Saladini, Strait. . . . )

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Do people realize that Riffle, before riding for Giant, rode "for" Chumba? I think he funded the team himself. He's not a bad rider but he had a shot with a big factory team and didn't produce big factory results. Like someone said before, if someone will pay some of the bills then he's ahead of most. We're not talking about a developing rider here.

I am honestly a little surprised that Neko is still with Trek.
Riffle's family has plenty of coin, time for another Team DRiff. :thumb:

Maybe step back from WC DH and do some Enduro type races. That guy can pedal a smaller bike like no ones business! He put the hurt on some XC pro types @ Downieville last time he was there. Impressive to say the least!