Quantcast

2012 team rumour and speculation

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Sam/CRC deal sounds good for all of us. Sam's Sam-ness will sell a bunch of bikes. CRC seems to have pockets deep enough to make sure the bike works well & customers don't get shafted by a failing company. The bikes are also a great bargain currently (yes?) I'm sure stoked about the bargain part...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The nukeproof isnt a million miles apart from a Morewood Makulu in its design, which if im not mistaken is rated very highly.
correct me if I'm wrong, but this also applies to the Commençal, and Transition TR450. There must be others out there doing this as well. After all, it's a link-actuated single pivot.

I'm sure Sam will do well, I wish him the very best of luck. Would be nice to have next season be a true 4-way competition between Sam, Greg, Gee, and Gwin...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
correct me if I'm wrong, but this also applies to the Commençal, and Transition TR450. There must be others out there doing this as well. After all, it's a link-actuated single pivot.

I'm sure Sam will do well, I wish him the very best of luck. Would be nice to have next season be a true 4-way competition between Sam, Greg, Gee, and Gwin...
Don't forget Danny Hart.

add Kona to the bike list and Bulldog and Steve Smith to the riders with a chance of winning races. great move for CRC and the Pulse is a very nice bike in the flesh,

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I too think the Pulse is a very nice bike, the leverage curve and main pivot location are fairly well thought out, and it sounds like the only geometry change Sam may want is a slightly lower static BB.

I hope Sam does well on it, as slyfink said above it'd be great to see him back in the ring.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
All the bikes being ridden at the wc level are capable of winning, barring changing minimal things like head angles via offset shock hardware and headset cups etc. a world class rider of Sams ability will be able to adapt and ride any of these bikes at a high level. The nukeproof is no slouch, he isn't going to have any problems. Expect another top 5 overall for him at the end of the season, assuming he stays healthy. The main obstacles he is going to be facing is the all-new scenery that comes with a new team, and the fact that he possibly won't have his long time time mechanic Jacy.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
Bike wise, i'm hoping to see new 'leap' in weight/strength + geometry/stability as the sunday in 2005.. maybe CRC will develop new plastic bike with sam? Gearbox'd DW or KS link?

Also will sam be clipped-in this year?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Don't forget Danny Hart.
Danny is a consistent top 10 threat. As far as winning races, he will have to get lucky in the form of a few top guys having a bad day, or a torrential downpour. It's no secret he doesn't have the power of Gwin, Minaar, Atherton, etc. It's his technical skills that will get him there, but those guys listed have all the tech ability of Danny with the addition of being insanely fit and powerful. IMHO, all the Danny fan boys that think there will come a day/season where Danny will dominate, but looking at his peers he will be racing against for years to come, my money for the wins will not be on Danny. I honestly think the WC series is going to be absolutely dominated by Gwin for the next few years. I do cheer for him, and enjoy seeing an American up there. I certainly am no Gwin fan boy though, really can't stand his dull, bland, Christian character. DH was founded by bad asses, guys with attitude and personality. Guys like Napalm, Warner, CG, Peat, Hill. Gwins squeaky clean image and post race interviews giving all the glory to The Man really irks me. His personality is more like that of a tennis player or golfer, rather than a rowdy dh'r/motocrosser. Probably not much fun at the post race drinkfest. Out of the current crop of guys, my "favorites" are Smith, Brooke McDonald, and Blenki. Blenki is really going to have to get his **** in a pile if he wants to be a podium threat though, but I'd say Smith and McDonald are well on their way to having some more good results. If McDonald gets put on TWR, it will be interesting to see how Brooke's foot out flat out flat pedal style translates to the Session and if Gwin can impart any of his knowledge on him. Bernard Kerr impressed me last season, had some top 20's and has more balls and style than just about anyone. You see the footage of him at whip off worlds? How about that suicide no hander on the Windham finish jump? Worth a look if not. Would love to see him get an offer. He's probably pretty bummed his buddy Eliot Jackson won't be racing anymore, which i am bummed about too. Eliot is gnarly!

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8417116/

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I read on Vital last week that he's not racing anymore.
This is true, saw a Facebook or Twitter post he made personally delivering the message to all his fans/friends. Not sure what his day job is, but I know he's a shredder on everything two wheels and I think he achieved his ultimate goals in mountain bike racing and is calling it a day.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Anyone stop to consider the giant gap in budget that Sam leaving Spesh will create? Of all the companies on the WC circuit, they probably have one of the biggest budgets. Bet they snag another podium threat before next season.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
How legally binding are these contracts typically? If says Marlboro came along and wanted to get a rider could they just buy someone out? They may have a stipulation but what's a million to them..... There are some riders Specialized could get I would think for sure!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Fine, since no one is stepping up for Spesh, I will do it. I'm pretty sure I can quit my day job pretty quick, and I do like the lo-carb Monster mixed with bourbon. I can also hold my own at the watering hole, will throw shout outs to Cthulu, and have all my teeth.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
Danny is a consistent top 10 threat. As far as winning races, he will have to get lucky in the form of a few top guys having a bad day, or a torrential downpour. It's no secret he doesn't have the power of Gwin, Minaar, Atherton, etc. It's his technical skills that will get him there, but those guys listed have all the tech ability of Danny with the addition of being insanely fit and powerful. IMHO, all the Danny fan boys that think there will come a day/season where Danny will dominate, but looking at his peers he will be racing against for years to come, my money for the wins will not be on Danny. I honestly think the WC series is going to be absolutely dominated by Gwin for the next few years. I do cheer for him, and enjoy seeing an American up there. I certainly am no Gwin fan boy though, really can't stand his dull, bland, Christian character. DH was founded by bad asses, guys with attitude and personality. Guys like Napalm, Warner, CG, Peat, Hill. Gwins squeaky clean image and post race interviews giving all the glory to The Man really irks me. His personality is more like that of a tennis player or golfer, rather than a rowdy dh'r/motocrosser. Probably not much fun at the post race drinkfest. Out of the current crop of guys, my "favorites" are Smith, Brooke McDonald, and Blenki. Blenki is really going to have to get his **** in a pile if he wants to be a podium threat though, but I'd say Smith and McDonald are well on their way to having some more good results. If McDonald gets put on TWR, it will be interesting to see how Brooke's foot out flat out flat pedal style translates to the Session and if Gwin can impart any of his knowledge on him. Bernard Kerr impressed me last season, had some top 20's and has more balls and style than just about anyone. You see the footage of him at whip off worlds? How about that suicide no hander on the Windham finish jump? Worth a look if not. Would love to see him get an offer. He's probably pretty bummed his buddy Eliot Jackson won't be racing anymore, which i am bummed about too. Eliot is gnarly!

You may want to look at some of Danny's results on pedally courses. I think he actually out pedaled a lot of those guys at Fort William this year on the final section. I agree those guys have power, but he can pedal for a smaller guy.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
I think both Peat and Minnaar will retire after last WC this season. WC Pietermaritzburg will be THE race to win for both of them in '13, but Peaty is going out of breath slowly. He will turn 40 next year.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
It was in an interview somewhere last year, he hinted. Also, he is racing since '98 I think, and has achieved everything. Also being good friend with Peaty, they will stop together I would guess. I could be wrong tough ;)
Hope they both go on for another 5 years ;)

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
That would be some mega **** if they both retired. Personally I don't think either of them have that intention. Not before this upcoming season at least.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I can see Peaty hanging it up soon. 1-2 more seasons. But Minnaar in his current form, at least 4, 5 more years. Dude is indeed as fast as ever.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Danny is very fit. If you think otherwise you are very mistaken.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
while I agree with a lot of what csermonet wrote, I have to agree with Norbar. And when you look at roadies [ducks for cover while the rotten eggs are thrown], Hart has the physique of the stronger overall riders. I acknowledge that DH is more like sprint events, and so bigger, more powerful and explosive riders will do well, but I think he has a strong base on which he can build. He's still young. He's going to need time to build that explosiveness. I have no doubt it will come, but I don't see him matching Gee, Minnaar, Gwin and Sam this year. Maybe later in the year? who knows.... Also isn't he working with Gee's trainer too? that guy seems to know what he's doing.

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A

Nope ur not wrong but I was more pointing out the people saying that the bike will need to be redesigned completely for Sam. If it works it works and according to the big PB article with the Nigle Page interview Sam tried the bike with a lower static bb and then went back to the tried and tested one. If Sam wasnt happy with the bike and didnt think he could win on it they why would he move. I know CRC have deep pockets there turn over last year was something like £150 million but im sure Specialized or the other big teams out there were offering similar money. CRC arent going to pay him more than hes worth just to have him on board they will be expecting to see a return on there investment. Same obviously feels that the bike is right for him or pretty close to it and that the team structure is going to have him in the right position to win again. Im sure the paycheck had some bearing on his decision but it cant be the only factor

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Well I'm sure that money had something to do with with Sam's departure but I am also willing to bet that his team mate had something to do with it as well. When was the last time that Sam was not the top performer on a team? No doubt he sells bikes but with Brosnan coming on and beating Hill multiple times, Specialized had to have been looking at Troy as the future of the team (due to age and reaults) and I am sure that was an uncomfortable position for Sam.
With his move to CRC, he is once again the king of the castle and doesn't have to focus on beating his team mate to sit at the head of the table...I'm sure that takes some pressure off and allows him to focus better on his racing.
Pure speciation but that is what RM is built on!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Just wait.
I am not sure if Troy comes back that fast after rupturing his spleen and dislocating his shoulder at worlds.
He basically had the same serious injuries than Hill and no full race in 2012.
Let's see what the youngster is able to pull in 2013.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yep, that is a big unknown...but at his age, he'll heal fast and I kind of think that being so young, it wont affect him mentally. We'll see.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I agree with your speculation that this would be a tough position. I wonder how much that played a role.
i dont think it matters much for Sam, he won several wc, championship etc. His psyche is enough strong to withstand teammates. Look at Formula1 teammates in teams. Wow that enviro was such fierce.

Only thing i can see is money and fresh start! Even more a reason to trust NP Pulse frame as I wanted to test this.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Never said he wasn't fit, every one is at that level of racing. Power is what he's lacking. Gee and Greg are 6ft+ and like 200lbs. Danny is probably 130 soaking wet. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure Danny is lacking in overall power to those guys. DH is indeed a sprint sport, and the advantage swings in the favor of the bigger men.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Never said he wasn't fit, every one is at that level of racing. Power is what he's lacking. Gee and Greg are 6ft+ and like 200lbs. Danny is probably 130 soaking wet. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure Danny is lacking in overall power to those guys. DH is indeed a sprint sport, and the advantage swings in the favor of the bigger men.
Tell that to Nico V and his 10 world championship jerseys. Then again he was another "quiet" rider like Aaron Gwinn or Ricky Carmichael so you may not be interested in him. I have a word for those guys as well. I call them f**king winners.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
DH is indeed a sprint sport, and the advantage swings in the favor of the bigger men.
Lighter people stay out of holes and shorter people are more aerodynamic.
Power to weight ratio is more important than a pure power number.
Pedaling skills are important- as in how many pedal strokes you can get in any specific section.
A smaller nimbler little bugger like Danny can throw down power when big dudes are scraper biking and short femurs and high legspeed win races.

Hart and Brosnan are revelations:
they've gone full-on fighter pilot tucked and pinned inside their bikes.

I'm not sure how much Hart weighs but I'm sure his power to weight numbers are world class.
The more you can pedal, the more power you make.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
fullspot on, suspect device. If bigger men have too large advantage, i think tracks should be build to give fair match for all types of bodies.

another comment about sport needing bad ass men. it made me LOL. Downhill gotten proffesional now, it doesnt matter anymore what kind of people do you watch in the tracks so long UCI is happy with their behaviour.

I still think that the sport isn't got bigger enough, it needs to grow more! I dont hesitate that Enduro will grow as h*** as it suits more people and it will be a step up to gravity sport.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

That was a hard read, but it delivered in a big way..."gravitation sport"

So much win...Thanks Ridemonkey, you always deliver.

EDIT - I may petition the powers on high to change this board name to "gravitation sport".

Last edited: