Quantcast

2012 team rumour and speculation

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I wonder who is the most valuable rider to the brand? No doubt Gwin is the winningestest but he seems to me, at best, barely marketable compared to Sam??
Why should a guy (which seems to be a very nice guy) that consistently detroys the WC field with a motocross riding style be not marketable? Plus Red Bull only sponsors rider, where they see a benefit from a marketing point of view. It is more the case that TWR did not market him properly......

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
mortal sin number 2: greed

Jesus won't be amused.

That looks somewhat unprofessional for a "nice and oh so professional" racer like Gwin is.

Last edited:

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Does this mean that Monk will move over to Specialized to be with Gwin, leading the way for Jacy to go with Sam on CRC. Maybe CRC will pouch Monk anything can happen after what we've seen today!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Some a-hole wrote on pb "glad to see that there's finally money getting tossed around in our sport" or something along those lines. F-you a-hole. This is why production moved to china and bikes now cost ME $8,000.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Just re-read the TWR statement. A signed Letter of Intent is all they have, not a contract, so they can bitch and whine all they want but there shouldn't be anything they can do about it.

Didn't they do exactly the same to Yeti to get Gwinn in the first place anyway?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
TWR did call it a "legally binding letter of intent" - whatever that is. Whitely has always struck me as a straight-shooter, so I'd guess he and TWR have done no wrong. I would like to see TWR back on top this year.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
That looks somewhat unprofessional for a "nice and oh so professional" racer like Gwin is.
True, but there are two sides here. Trek just happened to send the first jab.

However, I must say, it doesn't look that great on Gwin at the moment.

Someone made a good point that Trek may have done the same thing with Yeti, but who knows the details of that? And does that make this right?

Last edited:

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I wonder whose idea the LOI was in the first place. Do you think Gwin correctly predicted that Specialized was gonna have a disappointing season with Sam and would be willing to pay a lot for someone that could win?
It seems like the perfect storm for him making a lot of money, even if there was more involved. Specialized has a new $10k bike they need to convince people to buy, Sam isn't winning and is off to another team, and Gwin's commitment with TWR is (apparently) non-binding.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'd like definitely to know, what went down behind the curtains. If it was only the money, Gwinny wouldn't have left the company in that way.
One would like to think that- and we've heard one possibility is lack of promotion- but I'm assuming there was more discontent behind the scenes, as you alluded to.

I'm not a legal guy, but is a legally binding LOI a real thing, or are they just hurt and trying to make Gwin look bad?

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
I wonder whose idea the LOI was in the first place. Do you think Gwin correctly predicted that Specialized was gonna have a disappointing season with Sam and would be willing to pay a lot for someone that could win?
It seems like the perfect storm for him making a lot of money, even if there was more involved. Specialized has a new $10k bike they need to convince people to buy, Sam isn't winning and is off to another team, and Gwin's commitment with TWR is (apparently) non-binding.
My interpretation of the interviews that came with the Sam press release was that it was Sams own decision to move (I think it was mentioned that he hade hinted it for a while?), so I would be more inclined to think that Spec suddenly needed a top racer to help pitch the new shiny plastic.

I think Specialized could have done with Sam and Troy for marketing the carbon Demo, it was obviously all the hype last year and I would say that Sam Hill is the ONLY reason the (new) Demo became popular as a race bike. Don't take the fanboys lightly!

I don't really feel that the carbon Session has gotten nearly as much hype as the carbon Demo, even though it has more world cup wins. Mark it down to the marketability of Gwin or a lousy PR department at Trek, I don't know...

In moto, contracts are broken all the time. Riders let go for poor performance, injury. In the end, it's a value proposition for the teams. Not surprised dh is following suit. Podiums = visibility. Which in turn drives branding and indirectly, sales.

Not to be cold but no matter how family friendly, supportive, wholesome a team appears, the aforementioned mantra is still king. Rider unfortunately view as a comodity. I cant say i can wholly fault Gwin for maximizing his earning potential given the short spans of action sports athletes

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Wait so he signed saying yeah I THINK I will ride for you for 3 years. That exactly like buying a house you can bounce out of the mortgage within 24Hours of move in. Sounds like someone made a bike mistake on the TWR side or am I missing something?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Wait so he signed saying yeah I THINK I will ride for you for 3 years. That exactly like buying a house you can bounce out of the mortgage within 24Hours of move in. Sounds like someone made a bike mistake on the TWR side or am I missing something?
a legally binding "yeah I THINK I will ride for you for 3 years" hahaha. I'm inclined to agree somebody at TWR ****ed up and didn't get a contract inked and gwin saw a team he would rather be on (eg one that would actually advertise his wins and make a big deal about how he's a great rider)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In moto, contracts are broken all the time. Riders let go for poor performance, injury. In the end, it's a value proposition for the teams. Not surprised dh is following suit. Podiums = visibility. Which in turn drives branding and indirectly, sales.

Not to be cold but no matter how family friendly, supportive, wholesome a team appears, the aforementioned mantra is still king. Rider unfortunately view as a comodity. I cant say i can wholly fault Gwin for maximizing his earning potential given the short spans of action sports athletes
This this this. At the end of the day its just business for the teams/companies/racers.

I think what's most interesting about this whole situation is that it would seem as if there's enough money in downhill for these kinds of changes to be happening, even if only for the fastest racers.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Gwin may be was getting ZERO$$$ out of the TWR clothing sponsorship.....?.....then Stik steps in a starts waving TLD moneys in his face....?.....just random thoughts.....

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So who's the 3rd rider that was alluded to in the press release?

“The combination of Aaron Gwin and the Specialized brand have an American storyline written all over it that was always meant to be. Aaron will not only bring another element to the program, but it’ll be amazing watching this trio ripping down the tracks together. We can’t wait to get started with this new exciting opportunity and look forward to the season ahead.”

-Sean Heimdal, Team Manager
We know Mitch is still with Specialized this year but is he full factory? Could there be another rider joining the Specialized Factory team? Specialized hasn't released anything regarding their factory program or a roster so their may be some more announcements on the way. Their was an image of a "brook" in that @teamrumors image that included the Gwin stick figure and Whitely....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It depends on the particular document of course but a Letter of Intent is typically little more than a non-binding term sheet combined with a few binding provisions such as an exclusive negotiating period, confidentiality, and an obligation to work together in good faith to finish the deal. If that is true here, it sounds like Trek dropped the ball in failing to get the actual contract signed (or they just couldn't come to terms). My guess is that Specialized took a look at the LOI and agreed to defend Gwin from any resulting claims and offered more cash and incentives than Trek.

If this is generally accurate it's kind of a dick move from Gwin. But hey, it's business and loyalty doesn't mean squat. I'm sure he'll have some justification, faith-based or otherwise.