Quantcast

2012 team rumour and speculation

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
dont know whats so "landmark" about signing him.
For our little company, with a small race team, it's a big deal for us that we are excited about. We also get a world class rider that is local, pretty big deal for US...is that a crime?
jeez

Also,
That youtube video! classless.

Last edited:

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
You do realize that TWR is separate from Trek and owned by Martin Whitely, right? Trek was merely a title sponsor kind of like how RockyRoads was the UCI Mtb World Cup title sponsor.
Yes i do know, but many people don't.

I don't see Whiteley doing something like this without Trek knowing about it, it's their name he's dragging through the mud and making look childish.

Though it does show how little our sport is, that's been up all day, and still only 300 views....

Last edited:

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
You do realize that TWR is separate from Trek and owned by Martin Whitely, right? Trek was merely a title sponsor kind of like how RockyRoads was the UCI Mtb World Cup title sponsor.

Thank you for posting this as this was starting to bug me. Though with that general perception out there Trek Bicycles can only be less thrilled about the situation. If there was a strong case here by TWR I would expect it would have stayed behind closed doors. Whitley is acting like a bitter EX GF at this point hurting his chances for a rebound.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thank you for posting this as this was starting to bug me. Though with that general perception out there Trek Bicycles can only be less thrilled about the situation. If there was a strong case here by TWR I would expect it would have stayed behind closed doors. Whitley is acting like a bitter EX GF at this point hurting his chances for a rebound.
Kinda thinking a removal of the Trek part of the "Trek World Racing" combo may be the next big move we see.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I said it a few pages back, and I'll say it again for clarity's sake (but a little more clear): Martin Whiteley is a greedy fat f*** who is obviously butt-hurt because this move hurts him financially by extension of being the Team "Manager"/owner. Aaron Gwin's character, future in the sport, what bike he's riding, etc. are all largely irrelevant -- if he wins, Martin gets paid -- and that's probably the only thing he's ever cared about. His press release, that cringe-worthy YouTube video, etc... ALL point to the same conclusion.

My guess is that he [Martin] tried to leverage his position as "Manager"/owner of TWR to squeeze as much money out of Gwin as possible, and Gwin, being a very level-headed/professional guy (in case nobody noticed), did exactly what he should have done (and ultimately, did) -- entertain alternatives.

In hindsight, he's clearly realized that no amount of money will "buy" Aaron Gwin back now, and he's working his way through the Kubler-Ross 5 Stages of Grief.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I said it a few pages back, and I'll say it again for clarity's sake (but a little more clear): Martin Whiteley is a greedy fat f*** who is obviously butt-hurt because this move hurts him financially by extension of being the Team "Manager"/owner. Aaron Gwin's character, future in the sport, what bike he's riding, etc. are all largely irrelevant -- if he wins, Martin gets paid -- and that's probably the only thing he's ever cared about. His press release, that cringe-worthy YouTube video, etc... ALL point to the same conclusion.

My guess is that he [Martin] tried to leverage his position as "Manager"/owner of TWR to squeeze as much money out of Gwin as possible, and Gwin, being a very level-headed/professional guy (in case nobody noticed), did exactly what he should have done (and ultimately, did) -- entertain alternatives.

In hindsight, he's clearly realized that no amount of money will "buy" Aaron Gwin back now, and he's working his way through the Kubler-Ross 5 Stages of Grief.
I really don't know a thing about this Whiteley character or what he's about. For someone who composed himself so well during interviews his behavior after the Gwin news is showing some of his true colors. Pot calling the kettle black a wee bit? I suppose if he is what you say he is, there should be no shortage of opportunities for him in the future if TWR doesn't pan out. I mean, this is the bike industry....serious business. I heard the UCI looking is looking to hire.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Aaron f***ing Gwin said:
I'm writing this public note to hopefully shed a little light on what's actually going on with my move to Specialized.

Reports that I broke my contract with 23 Degrees/Trek World Racing are false.  My contract expired.  The one-page letter of intent I signed said there would be a “full length contract” with “precise terms” coming in the future.  The 16-page contract that showed up in late November was not signed by me because it was not the deal we had made. I have moved on to a team that gave me the contract I wanted, and these are the facts.

The press reports are inaccurate, unfair, and one-sided. Because 23 Degrees has hired lawyers and threatened to sue me, my lawyers have told me not to say anything for now.

While riding for Trek, I lived up to my contract and gave them my 100% effort and full commitment.  I intend on doing the same for Specialized.

As for now, I want to let my fans know that my offseason training has been going great. I love my new bikes and I'm more excited to race this year than I ever have been. Big thanks to the Specialized family for such an amazing opportunity and support.

I hope everyone understands that I cannot talk any further about this at this time, but I felt like I needed to clear the air a bit, without getting too much into the legal stuff.

Thanks to all the fans who have stood behind me.

AG
I bold'ed the most-telling part -- and it falls exactly in line with what I expected.

Whether or not, what AG "wanted" was for Martin to take less of his prize money, or gold-encrusted figurines of Mary & Jesus in his race trailer we may never know for certain, but you get the point.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
For our little company, with a small race team, it's a big deal for us that we are excited about. We also get a world class rider that is local, pretty big deal for US...is that a crime?
jeez
not saying its a crime, just was expecting some thrilling news :monkey:

that's been up all day, and still only 300 views....
thats YT's way of verifying each view past 301 to make sure there arent any bots making a video appear to have more views then it really does

Last edited:

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
As this is all coming to light sooner rather than later it's going to be interesting to see who goes to Trek now.

You have a company who have not come to the plate with the deal they said (by the sounds of it) and there trying to publicly shame Gwin, this mean whoever they are going to sign can kind of take them to the cleaners and get more money.

I know I would, your seeing there other side so it would not make me wanna sign but then again there going to be desperate to get more riders, therefore take a **** load of money to compensate for what tossers they can turn out to be and have that contract looked over by a few lawyers just so your laughing all the way to the bank if something does go awry.

Last edited:

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
As this is all coming to light sooner rather than later it's going to be interesting to see who goes to Trek now.

You have a company who have not come to the plate with the deal they said (by the sounds of it) and there trying to publicly shame Gwin, this mean whoever they are going to sign can kind of take them to the cleaners and get more money.

I know I would, your seeing there other side so it would not make me wanna sign but then again there going to be desperate to get more riders, therefore take a **** load of money to compensate for what tossers they can turn out to be and have that contract looked over by a few lawyers just so your laughing all the way to the bank if something does go awry.
For the umptienth time...

Trek != "Trek World Racing"

I'm pretty sure every exec sitting in Trek's Waterloo corporate board room have no f***cking clue who Aaron Gwin is beyond mere acquaintances. Seriously.

"Trek World Racing" is simply a UCI Elite WC mountain bike team owned by 23 Degrees (which is owned by Martin Whiteley). The only affiliation Trek has with TWR is being the "factory" frame sponsor and probably kicking down some cash -- they have no stake in the team, beyond their marketing dollars. Monk Dawg's paychecks are signed by 23 Degrees Sports Mgmt., not Trek.

Given how this drama is unfolding, I'd be surprised if TWR even exists next season -- and if so, who would be desperate-enough for money to ride for them. I'm sure they can offer somebody a competitive package, but knowing that your potential boss is a snake sure adds some doubt....

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004

I'm pretty sure every exec sitting in Trek's Waterloo corporate board room have no f***cking clue who Aaron Gwin is beyond mere acquaintances. Seriously.

"Trek World Racing" is simply a UCI Elite WC mountain bike team owned by 23 Degrees (which is owned by Martin Whiteley). The only affiliation Trek has with TWR is being the "factory" frame sponsor and probably kicking down some cash -- they have no stake in the team, beyond their marketing dollars. Monk Dawg's paychecks are signed by 23 Degrees Sports Mgmt., not Trek.

Given how this drama is unfolding, I'd be surprised if TWR even exists next season -- and if so, who would be desperate-enough for money to ride for them. I'm sure they can offer somebody a competitive package, but knowing that your potential boss is a snake sure adds some doubt....
They are letting TWR use their name and represent them on the world stage. As long as they are permitting this to continue they'll get painted with the same brush.

It's not like there is millions of dollars being thrown around in this sport to anyone that can pedal a bike. I'm sure there's a long list of racers desperate for money that would jump at the chance to ride for them, snake oil or not.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
^
You probably won't look at that corner, because it won't even occur to you that gapping it is an option...
just saying.

I agree that a mortal like myself would not see that as a "line", only since a someone with skills far above mine ventured to ramp it up will I go gawk at the spot where it went down.
:D

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Well that TLD statement sure left some answers to be wanted..

Will Gwin continue to rock a moto helmet? And if so, will his signature helmet be a D3 or a moto lid? (Since he will be riding a Red Bull helmet, and the signature helmet will be something else, I guess he could rock a moto lid and still have a D3 signature, but don't people want to have what they think the guy is racing?)

Also, new stuff in the enduro line? I'm hoping for a nice light weight, well vented enduro helmet. Or a good looking open face lid with good protection for the back of the head... Would make sense, since TLD already has everything else you need for enduro racing, right? (shorts, jerseys, armor, FF-helmet..)

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia

Yes but we just like to say Trek.

I think the majority of people posting or talking about it are also saying Trek and because of that they are getting bad press and a lot of it surly they have seen whats going on by now!?!, Its not as bad as the Lance Armstrong press but if I was Trek id sue Martin Whitley so he could never use their name again.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

Will Gwin continue to rock a moto helmet? And if so, will his signature helmet be a D3 or a moto lid? (Since he will be riding a Red Bull helmet, and the signature helmet will be something else, I guess he could rock a moto lid and still have a D3 signature, but don't people want to have what they think the guy is racing?)

Also, new stuff in the enduro line? I'm hoping for a nice light weight, well vented enduro helmet. Or a good looking open face lid with good protection for the back of the head... Would make sense, since TLD already has everything else you need for enduro racing, right? (shorts, jerseys, armor, FF-helmet..)
Easy....

Gwin will race in a D3, our bicycle helmet, he races bikes, not motos.
I answered all this on BikeMag.com but we have a few athletes with signature lids, that have energy drink sponsors. Athlete design it, inspire troy to create it=signature lid.

You will get what you are hoping for...soon.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
..... but we have a few athletes with signature lids, that have energy drink sponsors. Athlete design it, inspire troy to create it=signature lid.
I think your definition of 'signature lid' is a little different from what other people use. ;)

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Easy....

Gwin will race in a D3, our bicycle helmet, he races bikes, not motos.
I answered all this on BikeMag.com but we have a few athletes with signature lids, that have energy drink sponsors. Athlete design it, inspire troy to create it=signature lid.

You will get what you are hoping for...soon.
Alright, cool. I was just a bit curious, as that other small and silly helmet maker he's been riding for before also has bike helmets, and as far as I know he still ran a moto helmet, and I think there are other riders who do that as well in the WC... But yeah, I guess you'd want him to run your flagship DH model, and that's cool by me. The signature-question was mostly if he would run a moto lid..

As for hints on enduro helmet: Cool, I will not buy a new helmet just yet then....

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

)
He is not lopes, he will still be wearing a jersey that people can buy from TLD. My guess will be a TLD moto lid with Redbull paint.
He's too smart to not wear a moto, imagine where Johnny Waddell would be if it wasn't for a moto lid.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
He is not lopes, he will still be wearing a jersey that people can buy from TLD. My guess will be a TLD moto lid with Redbull paint.
He's too smart to not wear a moto, imagine where Johnny Waddell would be if it wasn't for a moto lid.
Uhhmmm, maybe you want to look a few posts up to the response by the guy who actually signed him to TLD. But hell, if we're ignoring information and still specualting, I think it is obvious that he will be rocking a TLD equestrian helmet with the Redbull Logo and a unicorn hologram on one side and a hologram of Jesus smashing rocks with a sledge hammer on the other.

Last edited: