Quantcast

2012 Trek

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Looks like trek finally figured out trail/AM geometry. Everything got bumped down a degree in HA from 69 on the fuel to 68, and 68 on the remedy to 67. And then they brought out the slash, which looks like an enduro (which also happens to be one of the most dialed bikes geo wise on the market).

Didn't see a mention of the session 9.9 being OCLV, and it looks like they're doing a flipchip AND an angleset now. Who else predicts that its way more trouble then its worth, and 1% of the riders out there bother with the flipchip, and 75% of the riders struggle to get their angleset to stfu. Also, air/spring hybrid? so we loose the weight savings of air, while simultaneously lose the ability to really dial and perfect the springweight of a regular spring? Interested to see how it plays out, the frame at least looks rad.

Overall though, looks like trek finally stepped up their game in AM geometry.

and who wants to guinea pig the DRCV forks?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/trek-2012-mountain-bikes-first-look-30991

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Didn't see a mention of the session 9.9 being OCLV, and it looks like they're doing a flipchip AND an angleset now.

and who wants to guinea pig the DRCV forks?
they took the 9.9 Session off their dealer site pretty fast when it went around the internets and it didnt mention it being OCLV but i heard it is

i personally hated the DRCV on the Rumblefish's rear shock...wonder how the fork will feel

the "hybrid air fork" on the 40 does seem interesting. im surprised we havent seen anymore info elsewhere

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i just "hybrid air"'d my 888. its money. add 1 psi or subtract 2 psi depending on needs (lots of berms vs. fast, rough and straight). why in the world would anyone want mechanical preload anyhow? it does not change the spring rate, only the sag.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Pinkbike GEO Chart below......

Seems pretty good. Not much of a Carbon fan but would like to ride it and see how she feels.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Maybe not the best idea for us mere mortals:
"Fox Racing Shox puts a huge effort into dialing in Gwin's suspension to his exact needs, whether that is custom valving (his tune comes stock on the Session 9.9)"

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Maybe not the best idea for us mere mortals:
"Fox Racing Shox puts a huge effort into dialing in Gwin's suspension to his exact needs, whether that is custom valving (his tune comes stock on the Session 9.9)"
I had the exact thought. Probably akin to riding a full rigid for us slow pokes.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Not really.

Not unless they dropped their BB heights about two inches, which I doubt they did.
you think? I'm pretty content with the remedy bb height, I could see bringing it down .5inches, but i like clearance on climbs. I know you don't care for it though :D I get lazy when I'm tired. I am curious to see BB heights and sizing though.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
are the frames any stronger? I have a few friends with Remedy's but kept snapping them. one guy went through like 4 frames in a little over a year...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
you think? I'm pretty content with the remedy bb height, I could see bringing it down .5inches, but i like clearance on climbs. I know you don't care for it though :D I get lazy when I'm tired. I am curious to see BB heights and sizing though.
Honestly that's the one thing that's kept me from taking any trailbike trek makes seriously the last few years.

So yeah....their BBs are too high. And looking at the geo for that session, it doesn't look like pushing that number is a priority.

I don't like hitting my pedals on climbs or anything. I just think being more diligent about paying attention is a minor thing to accept for a better descending bike.

Not picking on trek in particular, I don't think any company has it dialed. I do think it's funny that specialized made 4" travel bikes 10 years ago that had BB heights in the 12s, which is part of the reason I bought them. They were flexy as shlt but they felt damn good going downhill on. Unfortunately I think they regard that period as 'still figuring out full suspension bikes' because they had similar measurements to their hardtails. They had that part figured out, they should have left it alone.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Honestly that's the one thing that's kept me from taking any trailbike trek makes seriously the last few years.

So yeah....their BBs are too high. And looking at the numbers for that session, it doesn't look like pushing that number is a priority.

I don't like hitting my pedals on climbs or anything. I just think being more diligent about paying attention is a minor thing to accept for a better descending bike.

Not picking on trek in particular, I don't think any company has it dialed. I do think it's funny that specialized made 4" travel bikes 10 years ago that had BB heights in the 12s, which is part of the reason I bought them. They were flexy as shlt but they felt damn good going downhill on.
i always figured you were the kind of guy to ride a wheel the whole way up a climb

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
i always figured you were the kind of guy to ride a wheel the whole way up a climb
kidwoo levitates above the trail and hovers his way uphill. he can do numerous tricks in that state, giving him lots of time to practice his DJ moves while the others are painfully turning over cranks and wishing they had not gone with that trendy 63 deg HA that prevents them from controlling their bike on the uphill!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Might be a little of that going on.

Popping rocks and pinecones off with my front wheel on the way up takes priority though.

That's the one measurement I can honestly say this about: I've still never ridden ANY bike that I thought had too LOW a bottom bracket. It might happen one day. It won't be from trek though. :D

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Not picking on trek in particular, I don't think any company has it dialed. I do think it's funny that specialized made 4" travel bikes 10 years ago that had BB heights in the 12s, which is part of the reason I bought them. They were flexy as shlt but they felt damn good going downhill on. Unfortunately I think they regard that period as 'still figuring out full suspension bikes' because they had similar measurements to their hardtails. They had that part figured out, they should have left it alone.
Rockhopper EVO.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Don't those things come with kickstands and flat rubber pedals?
Geeze, my mistake :think:. Stumpjumper EVO is what I meant to type. It's got the geo you want ;)

I remember my old cromo, rigid rockhopper from 98. I miss that bike, odly enough.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
are the frames any stronger? I have a few friends with Remedy's but kept snapping them. one guy went through like 4 frames in a little over a year...
With a lifetime warranty that's like a free upgrade plan :D Looks like the slash might be the better choice vs. a Remedy for '12.

I have an '09 and it needed a more progressive sus to keep it from bottoming hard, like most trailbikes with linear sus curves these days... I think aggressive riders will break bikes like these unless they modify the sus to keep it from bottoming too much. Still waiting for mine to break... now that the slash is here it might be time to ride the Remedy at the Resorts more :rolleyes:

I also think the geo is pretty dialed and I'm happy with the bb height.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
That's the one measurement I can honestly say this about: I've still never ridden ANY bike that I thought had too LOW a bottom bracket. It might happen one day. It won't be from trek though. :D
Have a go on a Jamis Diablo. 12,6" BB on a 7" frame with a degressive leverage ratio is too low. I love it when I don't have to pedal, but in races I think I am losing some time because I can't pedal on anything but fairly smooth straights. And on many tracks I have to adjust my BB mounted chainguide back to it's original position after every run (or just leave it touching the chainstay).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
i just "hybrid air"'d my 888. its money. add 1 psi or subtract 2 psi depending on needs (lots of berms vs. fast, rough and straight). why in the world would anyone want mechanical preload anyhow? it does not change the spring rate, only the sag.
Can you give a little more info, maybe over in the 888 thread? In particular, can you give a part number for the cap and let us know where you got it? I'm sort of between springs and want to do this.

EDIT to keep it on track: Yeah, Trek, woo hoo!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
With a lifetime warranty that's like a free upgrade plan :D Looks like the slash might be the better choice vs. a Remedy for '12.
depends who you ask.

- What if it's the only bike in your stable and you're the type that rides almost every day? yeah it sucks to wait for a replacement...

- what if you're on a road trip to some exotic location (no trek dealers around) and your bike fails on day 1 of a 10 day trip? sucks to sit out the rest of the trip while you're buddies are having fun on their bikes.

- what if you're pinned coming down a gnarly descent when all of sudden your swingarm fails and it sends you OTB massive rocks/roots? yeah I'm not sure Trek covers ER visits.

- and I could go on...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Have a go on a Jamis Diablo. 12,6" BB on a 7" frame with a degressive leverage ratio is too low. I love it when I don't have to pedal, but in races I think I am losing some time because I can't pedal on anything but fairly smooth straights. And on many tracks I have to adjust my BB mounted chainguide back to it's original position after every run (or just leave it touching the chainstay).
I've definitely never ridden a jamis diablo.

Kind of want to now though ;)

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Can you give a little more info, maybe over in the 888 thread? In particular, can you give a part number for the cap and let us know where you got it? I'm sort of between springs and want to do this.

EDIT to keep it on track: Yeah, Trek, woo hoo!
sent you a pm.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
depends who you ask.

- What if it's the only bike in your stable and you're the type that rides almost every day? yeah it sucks to wait for a replacement...

- what if you're on a road trip to some exotic location (no trek dealers around) and your bike fails on day 1 of a 10 day trip? sucks to sit out the rest of the trip while you're buddies are having fun on their bikes.

- what if you're pinned coming down a gnarly descent when all of sudden your swingarm fails and it sends you OTB massive rocks/roots? yeah I'm not sure Trek covers ER visits.

- and I could go on...
I agree...I travel with my bikes a lot...I make an extra effort to be sure they will working...that can ruin a trip fast.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
13.1" bb on my old Izimu. I had my DH bike get stolen a few years back, so I built this up with all the spare parts I had lying around just in time to go to whistler. Only had a 66 to go up front, then set the frame in its slackest setting to get a non-scary head angle. Super fun to ride on A-line, took a little more concentration on goats gully...

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Meh. Still too high. Gettin there though.

Definitely looked long and hard at that one when I was shopping around this spring though.
Specialized Carbon Enduro. Light, slack, low, air or coil.

Eats Tahoe trails for breakfast (just don't dump it in the rocks too many times, or get the alloy version). That bike crushes every trail between state line and 89 (even some it shouldn't :D).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
took a little more concentration on goats gully...
Actually that sounds like a much better way to ride those goofy switchbacks at the top than trying to swing a long ass dh bike around them without coming to a virtual stop.

I remember looking at that bike after (I think) JeremyR told me to. Never rode a high forward pivot bike I was partial to but those numbers on those bikes looked really good. Can't beleive someone from the east coast would sell a bike with a bottom bracket height so obviously imcompatible with hecka eest coast rox!!

Specialized Carbon Enduro. Light, slack, low, air or coil.

Eats Tahoe trails for breakfast (just don't dump it in the rocks too many times, or get the alloy version). That bike crushes every trail between state line and 89 (even some it shouldn't :D).
Yeah I'm pretty familiar with those bikes. And I saw two of them eaten for brunch by tahoe trails (the carbon ones).

Listen to what I'm saying here people, I'll just come right out and say it: BELOW 13 inches. Every single trek bike I looked at last year was over 14.

Last edited: