Quantcast

2012 UCI World Cup DH Live Video

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
Ok, so am I the only one wondering, with only a couple of weeks until the 1st round, what the story is going to be as far as live video coverage of this year's UCI world cup Downhill events? It's crickets out there right now.

As most will recall, at the end of last year, the UCI announced they were no longer in an agreement with Freecaster and that some new internet media company named RockRoads.net was going to be involved. Since then, RedBull announced their support, and that's about all I know.

I did a little digging, checked all the various parties sites,
RedBull: http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Event/UCI-Mountain-Bike-World-Cup---Pietermaritzburg-021243150570975
UCI: http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI5/layout.asp?MenuId=MTUzNDI&LangId=1
and RockyRoads (http://RockyRoads.net)

And none of them mention what's planned. :confused:

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll have live coverage at all, which would totally blow!

Has anyone else here got any information on the subject they can share?

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
I was wondering this the other day. Was going to post but decided to also do some searching first and got sidetracked. None of my searching recovered any information

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ok, so am I the only one wondering, with only a couple of weeks until the 1st round, what the story is going to be as far as live video coverage of this year's UCI world cup Downhill events? It's crickets out there right now.

As most will recall, at the end of last year, the UCI announced they were no longer in an agreement with Freecaster and that some new internet media company named RockRoads.net was going to be involved. Since then, RedBull announced their support, and that's about all I know.

I did a little digging, checked all the various parties sites,
RedBull: http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Event/UCI-Mountain-Bike-World-Cup---Pietermaritzburg-021243150570975
UCI: http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI5/layout.asp?MenuId=MTUzNDI&LangId=1
and RockyRoads (http://RockyRoads.net)

And none of them mention what's planned. :confused:

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll have live coverage at all, which would totally blow!

Has anyone else here got any information on the subject they can share?
I actually have an email out to Redbull Media House right now to see what exactly is going on with this.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Good thing that they would have quite a lot more time before the second race, so if they dont come through this first round hopefully erverything will be set for number two. And that there is no restriction on dirt and other filmers.

But even if RSA is not the most exciting track it would blow not having any live coverage.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Most importantly, if Redbull is broadcasting the WC, WHO WILL BE COMMENTATING?!?!?! We can all hope it is Warner, but I bet that is unlikely.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Maybe I'm mistaken but I think he's worked with them in the past?
didn't warner do x fighters? wasn't that a red bull sponsored event?

if red bull brings in the idiot who did crankworks and the last rampage
i will have to settle for pink carbon pitchfork and a drive to salzburg and burn down red bulls headquarters ;)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Warner adds so much to it- I have people that dont even like dh into watching wc clips- and a lot has to do with the crazy sh1t he yells.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
Warner and Page FTW
I know Page is an icon himself, but I could really do without his standard commentary of "Oh, that's too bad, insert CRC riders name here, really isn't riding as well as we know he can".

Well Nigel, you may have an inside line, but its a race, and its not about how fast they can be, its about how fast they are.

Warner is good for a laugh. It would be great to see him back. Whitley was the best commentator they've had. He has insight and has good relevant commentary.

Freecaster was great, but if I could change one thing it would be to get rid of a few athlete and manager commentators that droned on (Anneke Berteen, Nigel Page). Interview them briefly. They are part of the show, but not the narration.

jzdyrko

Chimp
Oct 21, 2011
The fear I have with Redbull putting on the live shows is the Replays. Redbull.tv never allows replay broadcasts if you miss the live show. I love watching the Replays on Freecaster. I tend to work weekends and usually miss the live broadcasts. If there are no replays, I may miss most of the worldcup season!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I know Page is an icon himself, but I could really do without his standard commentary of "Oh, that's too bad, insert CRC riders name here, really isn't riding as well as we know he can".
I dare someone to go back and count how many times he said "but if anyone can do it, it's current rider on track." I don't know why it bothers me but I've always thought it is such a stupid thing for people to say in any sport. And he does it a lot.

But really I like Nigel as part of the commentary, he does a great job fitting in with Warner and that's important. Just add 20% more Martin Whitely.

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I love Page but the use of the term "the legend himself..." I know there are a lot of great riders but when you refer to 5-10 riders as "the legend himself" it weakens the term.

I would love to see it consist of 100% Rob Warrner, 33% fabian Barrel, 33% martin whitely, 33% nigel Page.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
...Just add 20% more Martin Whitely.
opinions blah blah blah, but that dude almost put me to sleep during the la bresse race. respect and tons of knowledge for sure, but the commenting excitement of a sheet of paper. give me warner, page (who works well with warner, but not on his own - la bresse again) and 5 minute guest spots in the booth periodically - whitely, barel, team mechanics, etc.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think barel was pretty amazing, everybody else but warner just seems like filler.

But in all seriousness, I'm much more concerned with whether or not it will be broadcasted live then if they'll have my favorite commentators. Once I find out if its going to be live broadcast then I'll worry about the little things.

Aug 4, 2008
For one I think that Warner could to much better job in the first part of broadcast. He doesn't really know the scene. Yes he knows everything about riders that have been in the biz for 10 years or more.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
opinions blah blah blah, but that dude almost put me to sleep during the la bresse race. respect and tons of knowledge for sure, but the commenting excitement of a sheet of paper. give me warner, page (who works well with warner, but not on his own - la bresse again) and 5 minute guest spots in the booth periodically - whitely, barel, team mechanics, etc.
I agree with you about Martin for long periods of time. What I meant by '20% more' was regarding how he almost never does any DH commentating for DH at all. It definitely helps when he, barel, or someone else well spoken and informed gets some mic time.

Helps keep Warner a bit more on track too.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
agreed, warner needs some counterpart, whitely and barel did a better job at this then page does...

probably the greatest combo would be fabien and warner... and some whitely ^^

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Helps keep Warner a bit more on track
Oh look. Now you're doing it.

Fvckin nigel.

I usually last about 5 words in with whitley before I start selling bikes, cursing the sport and start looking at skis. Whitley would be more interesting if they just put up a picture of his face in a corner and printed the text of what he would be saying under the photo. It would certainly add some excitement over having to listen to him.

The only thing better than warner is warner drunk. God I miss that.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
QFT. hour after hour of his monotone droning was a nightmare
+1

Page does work quite well with Warner but only really because they have both known each other for years and Warner can abuse him :thumb: but as said above, Pagey's repetative comments become old really quickly, I think I actually prefer either Cunny or Scott Beaumont to Pagey but IMO the best commentary has always come from Warner and random old skool DH Superstars like CG, DeBeever, Rockwell, Fabien etc dropping into the commentary box so whoever Warner's meant to be commentating with doesn't actully matter all that much what it needs is a constant stream of randoms dropping in to join them and Warners sidekick to simply STFU a bit while they're there.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
jesus h. it's commentary for a free broadcast of downhill mountain biking...what the hell are you guys expecting really?! my god, it's entertaining, it's free, and that's about it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I always like hearing from the Barel/Warner combination personally.

More importantly - where do we find coverage for this years season?

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Isn't it a bit too calm for Red Bull broadcasting live in two weeks? I mean you have to have some logistics going for broadcasting such an event live professionally from south africa.

I instantly hope that they don't just make lame recaps like with the IXS-series.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Some fresh ground pepper in my bloody mary at 4am in the US to watch euro races would be nice. A little more effort would go a long way.
isn't a bloody mary the pussy USA version of a caesar? my caesar at the GLC yesterday after a few ski runs had bacon in it, f*ck yeah!

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I have a sinking feeling everyone can plan to sleep in. Or stick to their regularly scheduled 4am redtube viewings.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout