Quantcast

2012 US Gravity Nationals Thread

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Not to take anything away from the "few questions" thread, but I figured I would start this one up for any information that needs to be shared about the event, during the event, and post the event including a common place for people to post links to images, etc.

I can't wait! The Dirt Passion crew will be there covering all aspects of the event. So have at it! Got something interesting to share.... post away!

BTW, the PR that Talia and I put together just made the news reel at Pinkbike. Hopefully this is the start to getting the event and the SE the coverage that is long over due.

http://www.pinkbike.com/

Thanks all!

Jay

Mwehahaha

Chimp
Mar 10, 2008
Brevard NC
After less than a week of work the tracks are looking good! And some big surprises in the works for slalom...

A new feature on the DH course, just before the finish line.
425126_10150892393701455_2124561380_n.jpg

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Awesome! Seeing pics isn't making the week go any faster.... come on Wed eve, hurry up already.

I talked to the One Ghost Industries Racing guys on Monday... they are driving from Oregon for the race. Hopefully more West Coasters will be doing the same.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Jeremy said that his first race is SS#2. MattG as of last Sat at TR's pump track said he wasn't racing. David I was told was doing his own deal... not sure about the rest of the crew.

I am pretty sure Voncooper will be there from the NorthEast, but Phil is still on the injured list. Gavin, Dylan, Tim, Willem I think are good to go.

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
So regarding practice for dual slalom will there be anytime for a few practice runs on the day of qualifying before your actual qualifying run. I can't get Thursday off work and was only planning on racing the slalom. So is Thursday the only day to get a couple non timed runs in? Also on a completely different note if I came up just to watch on Sunday would the slalom be open just to ride on a couple times?

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Dont know about Thursday, but I assume you've seen the schedule on the USAC site. Also last year, immediately after the Pro DS awards Sat eve, Herndon and company pulled down the tape and the kids (younger) and a few others were playing on it.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I am trying to come up Friday for the day to watch and meet with a few people. I am still nursing my injures from the last Beech Race so I will not be racing. I wish everyone that is coming to the race a great time! Sucks I will miss the last National in the South East for a long time coming.

Cecil

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Can someone point me to the verbage in the rules about slalom bike setup and whether or not single speed is legal? I keep hearing that it is and isn't legal from different people, but haven't seen the actual rule.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Afternoon T- storms. Hit and miss, sometimes raining heavy in Banner Elk and clear on Beech. Sometimes the other way around...

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
Can someone point me to the verbage in the rules about slalom bike setup and whether or not single speed is legal? I keep hearing that it is and isn't legal from different people, but haven't seen the actual rule.
Definately legal. If I'm not mistaken Ropelato won the elite class with a single speed.

j_r

Chimp
Mar 7, 2011
Chapel Hill, NC
From 2012 rulebook Chapter 1 here:

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/USAC_rulebook-1.pdf

1M3. Bicycle Types
(a) For track races, ......
(b) For road, cyclo-cross and MTB races, only a bicycle
with a freewheel and one working brake on each wheel shall
be used, except as allowed elsewhere in these rules.

- Reid

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Here's teh Beech Mtn forecast. Rain. No. Sun. No. Fog. Wait...mist. Forget that. Howling wind. Nope. Boiling hot sauna. Wait...is that hail? More sun. Dusty and dry. Downpour. Drizzle. Drizzle. Hazy.