Quantcast

2012 Windham World Cup

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
lol. how would this bring a World Cup back?
if they use a local race series to determine if/where a World Cup should be, then thats hilarious
Damn, I thought I blocked you and your negative ways. Anyways, there's is a lot going on behind the scenes that you are not aware of (sound familiar?) our race is being used as a test for the party that is considering promoting the event for 2013. A good showing at this event coupled with the sucessful WC that was just held will help grow the sport in the region and hopefully convince the party that Downhill MTB is viable at Windham.

Damn, you comment on so much stuff that you have no knowledge of. Now that is hilarious.

Where's that block button again?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Like I said, if a WC promoter is partly basing their decision on bringing back the WC based on how well or not one local series race does (on top of the past weekends race,) then that's extremely unfortunate for all US mtb fans and sad

It's good to see a "promoter" taking "critisism" so well though :rolleyes:

You couldn't find the block button b/c it's in the toothbrush aisle

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
My question was serious... what can the riders of the NE do to lend support to Windham WC happening again? (other than entering Cat 3 class in the ESC.)

I thought the event seemed super successful with larger attendance than 2010 (I missed the 2011 race). The parking lot was 90% full or more.

Sign an online petition? Paypal some swiss dudes a few bucks? Write a letter to my congressperson?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Like I said, if a WC promoter is partly basing their decision on bringing back the WC based on how well or not one local series race does (on top of the past weekends race,) then that's extremely unfortunate for all US mtb fans and sad
I think it would be stupid for a WC promoter to NOT first check it out and see how the venue handles a local race before committing to the next level. Seems obvious as just another part of the investigation. I don't understand your negativity but apparently there are some issues/history here.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
if the last three years of WC racing at windham haven't shown the powers that be how the venue handles the race how is a local race going to change anything? it's not like it's a brand new venue to the series.

it appears the WC at windham has been a success since the first race - the resort should have plenty of data to show that without needing a local event to prove anything (assuming they want it back).

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I think it would be stupid for a WC promoter to NOT first check it out and see how the venue handles a local race before committing to the next level. Seems obvious as just another part of the investigation. I don't understand your negativity but apparently there are some issues/history here.
they've already committed to the next level - 3 years in a row now. what else do they need to know?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
'size has it right. Plus the Gravity East race which ran during the same weekend was bigger and better then ever before....but there's no mention of them "investigating" that race, only the ESC :rolleyes:

Edit:I have no negativity towards having another WC at Windham. I just don't see how a local series could/would swing the promoter's minds into having another WC after three awesome years.

Last edited:

Smurfette

Chimp
Dec 29, 2011
they've already committed to the next level - 3 years in a row now. what else do they need to know?
Not sure but I think the previous 3 years were run by the Windham WC Committee of local businesses and volunteers ...that committee disolved this year and I think any new WC commitment would be run by the Windham Mountain staff, so they may need a test race to determine if the mountain staff can handle the logistics.

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Not sure but I think the previous 3 years were run by the Windham WC Committee of local businesses and volunteers ...that committee disolved this year and I think any new WC commitment would be run by the Windham Mountain staff, so they may need a test race to determine if the mountain staff can handle the logistics.
You are correct but running a WC race is a much larger undertaking than running a USAC DH race but hopefully they can manage to pull the resources together to make it happen.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
I love it being at Windham and hope it's there again. But out of all the resorts or mountains to choose from in the country how does this one take the contract? I know mountain, possible track layout, overall venue and lodge size, parking and what ever else is considered. But how many other spots are even close to being an option?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I love it being at Windham and hope it's there again. But out of all the resorts or mountains to choose from in the country how does this one take the contract? I know mountain, possible track layout, overall venue and lodge size, parking and what ever else is considered. But how many other spots are even close to being an option?

Raising enough money is the primary hurdle to hosting a world cup event.

There are no "options" there are people who have the ability to put up the tens of thousands of dollars it takes to promote a WC event and people who don't.

In Windham's case millionaires have opened their checkbooks and written fat checks year after year to cover the gaps in the budget because they think it's cool to have a big bike race in their back yards. Trickle Down shredonomics.

Try to find a corporate for-profit entity in North America that thinks they can make a return on that investment...

Every time any race happens it's because a small group of people have put a nearly inconceivable amount of their own time, money and sweat equity into making it happen.

Passion+Money= World Cup

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
These shredonomics make complete sense. Just didn't realize there are millionaires in that small town area that are also dedicated to the sport of mountain bliking to that degree. Skiing, yes. but biking I wasn't sure. But again, there has got to be 10 or even 20 other really wealthy mountain areas in the country that have the potential and wealth near by to support a WC.

Any rate, I agree with what you're saying and hope it stays in Windham for a few more at least.

One more observation... As big and as cool as it was at the wc, I'm not sure it was even close to the festival / atmosphere of Seaotter. I guess it's foolish of me to think why it would even be, but why wouldn't or couldn't it be?

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Most events like a world cup are put on by a local association. An example is the vail valley association. This consists of all the business in Vail and there's a % of revenue that goes into this associations budget to bring in large events. Vail held a few world cups back in the day but the ROI was no there for them going forward.

Based on the previous banter it looks like the first three years got covered but the people responsible dont want to see a loosing ROI anymore. World cup events can be profitable if set up correctly. The problem is getting a % of the revenue generated from the event back to the promoter.

The city of Granby threw out a wad of money in the past for the National event and other races. Their reasoning was bc of the tax revenue it regenerated into their pockets. If the promoter could get the city of windham to do the same this could be a positive ROI event.

And all of this is just the tip of the iceberg, budgets, planning, logistics, etc. I would be scared to undertake such an event. The main promoter would be doing so out of good faith for the most part and would need some type of job to provide a stable income the rest of the year. Lots of moving targets when you look at a race on this scale.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
A local race doesn't even come remotely close to the logistics of a world cup.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Als already mentioned, a huge part of it is the money and time people are willing to put in. However, a large part of it is the UCI. They refuse to spend any more time than necessary outside of their fortress europe stronghold, and any events would need to be near MSA as long as it is an event. You'd need a week off to go out west for all the team vehicles etc, and you can bet your ass the UCI doesn't want to have to spend a week off in the dirty, uncultured continent of North America.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Als already mentioned, a huge part of it is the money and time people are willing to put in. However, a large part of it is the UCI. They refuse to spend any more time than necessary outside of their fortress europe stronghold, and any events would need to be near MSA as long as it is an event. You'd need a week off to go out west for all the team vehicles etc, and you can bet your ass the UCI doesn't want to have to spend a week off in the dirty, uncultured continent of North America.

All of the above, and the fact that someone has to actually send a bid to the UCI in the first place. There seems to be this misconception in some circles that the UCI is somehow picking one venue over another for their own reasons/interests when in fact there are no other bids to consider. I think the Windham race is great, but agree that there are certainly bigger and more prestigious (hesitant to say 'better') venues in America that are responsibly located and can draw a good crowd. But until one of them steps up to the plate with a bid it's not going to happen.

After 3 years of positive press at Windham (and no 4X financial black hole) I'm hopeful some other American resorts/promoters will get the World Cup bug again, but as Fraser said it's a huge production in time, people, and money so I'm not exactly optimistic.

*on an unrelated note. How flipping cool was the block party they had in Windham on Friday night? Big screens playing bike movies, beer, music, and tons of local non cycling people psyched on the event. Felt like racing did 15 years ago except the town didn't get destroyed. Guess everyone's getting old. . .

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Windham in general was really cool, I thought it compared well to MSA. Wouldn't it be cool if on say Tuesday or Wednesday, they could have an event in NYC itself? Some kind of a mini-DH in that MTB park uptown?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
*on an unrelated note. How flipping cool was the block party they had in Windham on Friday night? Big screens playing bike movies, beer, music, and tons of local non cycling people psyched on the event. Felt like racing did 15 years ago except the town didn't get destroyed. Guess PEATY's getting old. . .
fixed it