Quantcast

2012 Zerode Build

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The downside is abysmal pedaling performance, however that is offset by running the chain through the gearbox.

Thus the only downside is additional weight due to the design constraints.
Have you ridden one or spent time on a similar high pivot bike?

With such a high pivot and so much CS growth do you feel it when manualling or other situations? I'm sure it eats fast hits but is there a downside to such a rearward axle path?
You definitely do. High pivot bikes are a bit harder to pull up and they don't corner as well in tight turns/berms as lower pivot bikes. You learn to compensate though, and the benefits in shock absorption are quite insane. I don't have time on the Zerode but I did own a brooklyn racelink, which has a similar high pivot. Switching to a DW-link bike made the ride much more playful and at home at places like highland, but it never came close to the point-and-shootiness of the brooklyn. I suspect the zerode will do as well in a rock garden but be significantly better in corners due to better geo and optimized weight distribution.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sweet, hopefully the review is in proper English.

The bike does look pretty awesome, surely you have enough bikes for a Demo9's bikes sticky?

I'd love one of these things but I am too slow to justify the $'s.

Bart

Chimp
Dec 7, 2004
What's the benefit of a gearbox if the gear steps are to large? For a DH-bike you need close ratio gearing, this isn't available in a stock hub... In my opinion it is more important to get the right gear than to have a quiet bike!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What's the benefit of a gearbox if the gear steps are to large? For a DH-bike you need close ratio gearing, this isn't available in a stock hub... In my opinion it is more important to get the right gear than to have a quiet bike!
The opposite is true actually - for a DH bike you generally want noticeable changes with each jump in gear as most accelerations are fairly abrupt rather than smooth ones that require optimum cadence. More gears with closer ratios are just going to require you to make more shifts to get to the gear that is adequately lower or higher than the one you are currently in.

Bart

Chimp
Dec 7, 2004
The opposite is true actually - for a DH bike you generally want noticeable changes with each jump in gear as most accelerations are fairly abrupt rather than smooth ones that require optimum cadence. More gears with closer ratios are just going to require you to make more shifts to get to the gear that is adequately lower or higher than the one you are currently in.
You are right, but the gear steps within an Alfine hub are to large. It's OK if you also want to ride uphill, but I don't think that's what you want with this bike. 307% ratio difference over 8 gears compared to a 11-25 cassette has 227% over 10 gears. For DH racing you require the optimum cadence like your wrote, but with such difference it's very hard to find the right gear!

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
On this pic and the close up of the DT/BB area I saw elsewhere the adjusters on the CCDB look seriously exposed, looks like a root or rock hit would take them clean off. Is there no way to reverse the CCDB so the adjusters are at the top away from the action? This assumes there is no shock cover for the DT.

Also, is there enough clearance to fit a CCDBair with its larger diameter air canister?

Cheers.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Also, is there enough clearance to fit a CCDBair with its larger diameter air canister?

Cheers.
The AIR CCDB will not clear the frame rails. It also comes with a shock guard BTW it is no longer carbon and is now plastic. The next version frame will clear a CCDB Air and any crank supposedly!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The bike was built not around the Gearbox but the suspension. The Gearbox was a way to eliminate the weakest and oldest part of the bicycle and keep 0 chain growth throughtout it's entire travel. Being able to shift at any time is just another benefit of the Gearbox system.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I am blown away every time I ride my Zerode at how well it pedals and takes large hits. Its amazing. I love how the gears are spaced, too. This is the best bike I've ridden and owned. I've owned a ton of bikes and ridden quite a few. The bike is so quiet.

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
who has been saying that? the short time that ive spent on one showed how well it pedaled
I saw it somewhere on teh internetz, and it stuck in my memory. I was curious about this e-rumour, good to have it clarified.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Cool, people are saying it pedals like ass (??) but it actually pedals well? Good to know, thanks.
No way. Its crazy how you can pound on the pedals and there is no bob. I have never heard anyone say the Zerode pedals bad. I find myself wanting a Zerode AM bike next.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
High pivot bikes naturally eliminate Bob, add a touch of chain induced anti squat, and you have an amazingly pedaling bike that is still probably more responsive/plusher than 99% of other bikes while pedaling.

Tyler Durden

Monkey
Oct 7, 2003
Paper Street
^ that, You can pedal over anything on this bike, any small rock garden is now a flat field sprint. Love it
I had the chance to ride Demo's bike through a rock garden @ MTN. Im usually fairly skeptic about " The hype ". This bike definitely does roll right over rocks with a lot less effort. I am now a believer ! Thanks for the ride bro !

Last edited by a moderator: