Quantcast

2013 Build Ideas

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay so we are trying to get ready to build a 2013 Zerode. I am not 100 percent on a few items. What do you think? The bike is a bit off but trying to figure out funds needed....

Zerode g1
Dvo Emrald or Dorado
Chris king 1.5 hs
Enve carbon HD bars
Hope Evo brakes
Enve dh wheels or profile elites laced to mavic hoops
Sdg ifly post and seat
E13 lg1r cranks

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Okay so we are trying to get ready to build a 2013 Zerode. I am not 100 percent on a few items. What do you think? The bike is a bit off but trying to figure out funds needed....

Zerode g1
Dvo Emrald or Dorado
Chris king 1.5 hs
Enve carbon HD bars
Hope Evo brakes
Enve dh wheels or profile elites laced to mavic hoops
Sdg ifly post and seat
E13 lg1r cranks
If you leave HOPE in the build, make sure to PRAY; Otherwise good build.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The saint modulation bugs me. I have terrible lever feel so I like the rear brake to be a sponge. The new Saint has a weird lever feel it is on the Norco I am testing now. Formulas may be an option as well all three are close in price so. Also am planning on a CCDB Air rear shock......

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ccdb air to the mix, formula brakes. profile to enve seems like a sweet wheelset-but the profile hubs are a bit heavy iirc

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
ccdb air to the mix, formula brakes. profile to enve seems like a sweet wheelset-but the profile hubs are a bit heavy iirc
Yeah they are heavy but the 200 engagement points may be a plus. The hope hubs would be a fair bit less money and weight though....

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
ditch the hopes for shimano, if they are too strong get the xt trails...profile hubs drag like crazy so ditch them for some stealth or even Kings on Enve hoops. I also just tried a set of envy bars and they have a really strange bend on them...lots of backsweep, kind of feel like cruiser bars..lol
DB air with a few volume reducers inside and the DVO looks like a better option if you insist on going with an inverted fork...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
By evos do you mean the new V4's? They look amazing and if they are anything close to the new V2s they are awesome.

For hubs why not Hadley?

As for wheels if you go full pimp why not get some top end spokes for that as well. People forget how much weight you can loose there. Sapim Superspokes? Maybe pillar mega lite ss but I didn't have enough time on mine to certify their durability.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
By evos do you mean the new V4's? They look amazing and if they are anything close to the new V2s they are awesome.

For hubs why not Hadley?

As for wheels if you go full pimp why not get some top end spokes for that as well. People forget how much weight you can loose there. Sapim Superspokes? Maybe pillar mega lite ss but I didn't have enough time on mine to certify their durability.
Yeah I mean the Evo Stealth V4's. Yeah Hadley is an option. I dont want to service so I think King is out. I am waiting to see what Enve will be versus say maybe some 521 Mavics laced to whatever hubs. The Race Face bar is an option also pretty light I can ride any width but 750-790 is ballpark. I can always chop em.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Man, I know they're not bling, but I hear nothing but good about shimano's new brakes, and I can't imagine paying more/the same for anything else, unless you really just want pretty anodized stuff. Supposedly the resin pads offer more modulation than the metal ones too.

As for hubs, nobody is really building stuff with the profile gear yet, so that would be a pretty neat route to go. Alternatively, if you're building a zerode, a stealth hub would make it a really really quiet bike, which would be neat to see. The zero-engagement drive would also help cancel out any drivetrain lash because of the alfine.

I would definitely go DVO, just for the fun of it, but it's a question of when it's released to market, and if you want to be the guinea pig that tries it first.

I'm a big big fan of shimano's cranks, but Raceface comes in pretty colors.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Man, I know they're not bling, but I hear nothing but good about shimano's new brakes, and I can't imagine paying more/the same for anything else, unless you really just want pretty anodized stuff. Supposedly the resin pads offer more modulation than the metal ones too.
I have the new 2013 Saints on the Aurum 1 I am testing the lever throw is WACK. I can't get over it. It is weird I have big hands and about 1/2 way through there is an elbow that the lever hits while compressing and it feels like it gets stuck there. It's really weird....so. The Hope, Shimao and Formula are all basically within $20 of one another for a complete set. I didn't know Stealth was still doing hubs hmm they are semi-local also.

We are getting a DVO fork just not sure when. The bike may turn into a test bike and some media places may get it so technically if it was a build we offered it would have to be the exact same. The LIGHT WHEEL, CRANK build was probably gonna use a Boxxer WC for weight only. So I could get the Boxxer to send out to test and then ride a good fork for myself and others around here.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
will the Cane Creek Double Barrel Air fit?
I know the vivid Air wont.
Look forward to seeing the build. it does sounds brilliant.
Rob is gonna check to see he thinks it may clear with some of the changes being done to new frames!!

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Ian

The CCDB air cleared on all three of our bikes. 2 were 2011, 1 is a 2012. I can hook you up with some I9's since we are there factory test team if your interested. What are the changes to the 2013 frames

Matt
Billy Goat Bikes

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Ian

The CCDB air cleared on all three of our bikes. 2 were 2011, 1 is a 2012. I can hook you up with some I9's since we are there factory test team if your interested. What are the changes to the 2013 frames

Matt
Billy Goat Bikes
I cant let the cat out of the bag yet but soon! Okay good to know on the I9 weird the airs cleared you frame hmm good to know.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
whatever you build , it will be a lot mouthwatering :D :D

however, take Hope brakes ! I need try this some day (Saint owner for 2 years)

Hadley are super! Had hubs over 10 years, never serviced, they run like new hehe

you mentioned mavic 521, I suppose you meant 721Ex. I think good rim profile is what we look at. For me Flow Ex, Spanky 28 Race look good!

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
725mm wide bars? on a DH bike? dude?

get yer self some ENVE DH bars. 225g at 800mm wide, trim them down if you so need, you know, to make 'em lighter ;)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
725mm wide bars? on a DH bike? dude?

get yer self some ENVE DH bars. 225g at 800mm wide, trim them down if you so need, you know, to make 'em lighter ;)
The Race Face are 785 plenty wide and ENVE upped their bar weight and are now 280gms BTW.....

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Whats with all the Hope hate on this thread? I have never felt a better brake then a Hope. Also, super easy to work on.
Hope FTW.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'll be building mine with
CC DB air.
Formula The Ones(you could try the new oval piston caliper on the front for more power, I'm light, so happy with The One one).
I'll also probably be trying the DVO, but have my Avy 888 as back up. I'd like to try a Dorado too so can't really help with that choice, not Boxxers though.
I'll be sticking with Atom Lab Pimp Lite rear hubs until they die, they have an acceptable amount of engagement points. I9 would be nice. I'd like you to get the Profile rear for feedback, but too heavy for me. I'll be running Stans Flow rims, but have a spare wheel with an Atom Lab Pimp Lite rim, their new rim looks good. I'm light remember. Have the spare wheel as I doubt the rear Flows will last long. Tune or Atom Lab front hub, pretty much as light as you can get(can anyone name a lighter 20mm?), and I have both. All set up tubeless, Ghetto on the rear for tighter fit. Could use Stans tape to save weight, but it's light weight set up anyway. I'll stick with 2.5 Maxxis, but again I'm light, if you are running other fatter tyres, the new Atom Lab and Stans rims are wider for better/rounder tyre profile with fatter tyres.
Will replace with DT butted spokes, as the Atom Lab ones fail after about a year. Titan Wheel Tech Titanium nipples rear, DT Ally front.
PO1NT pedals and stem. Chunked would be nice, fork dependent though.
Diety Black Label bars, I'm holding out on carbon bars for now, and have a fresh set of Dieties anyway.
ESI foam grips.
SDG I-Beam carbon post(my carbon experiment), I-Fly seat(anyone know of a lighter set up?).
I have old Gravity Lite cranks, probably just get Saints when they die(what's lighter but as strong out there now?).
The Hive or Renthal 32tooth chain ring(again, what's lighter out there now?).
KNC hollow pin chains.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have the new 2013 Saints on the Aurum 1 I am testing the lever throw is WACK. I can't get over it. It is weird I have big hands and about 1/2 way through there is an elbow that the lever hits while compressing and it feels like it gets stuck there. It's really weird....so. The Hope, Shimao and Formula are all basically within $20 of one another for a complete set. I didn't know Stealth was still doing hubs hmm they are semi-local also.
That bums me out a bit. I really wanted new brakes because old saints don't have pop out levers (or the new ones also don't have them?) so I keep breaking my fingers on them and since my fingers are stupid long strange and long lever throw really pissess me off.
m4s have pop out levers like old formulas did?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
could also think about shimano xt's for the brakes. save a bit of coin over the others mentioned, nice and light, great feel, very nice brakes.
I bought some XTs, weighed them, and my back up brakes, Juicy 7s. The Avids were lighter and have pad contact adjust. Sold the XTs after one ride. Never need the Juicys as my Formula The Ones never fail, but still. XTs aint light,and have only reach adjust.