Quantcast

2013 Changes for 888?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody know the changes for the 2013 888 chassis? In particular, the CR? I've found an absolutely insane deal on a CR, but I don't want to find out it's changed for '13 from the '12 model. I see fauxshima stanchions, but nothing else looks that different.

I'm terribly tempted to give up my project forks and shell out just a little more cash for a brand new fork.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
@Sandwich Ive seen those a while ago and really digging them. I hate the Ni stanch's with white lowers. Now they have this gold treated Al legs Im really looking at the reg. non-Ni Evo...

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
AND: Do you know if the Evo cart is really that much better than the CR? Ive ridden the 66 with the RC3 damper, never on the Evo. Im not doing any shim stack tweaking anytime soon, just wondered...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Uh, I don't really have personal evidence to state that, however...

I think the EVO refers more to the chassis or packaging than the damper. I'm pretty sure that the RC3 has adjustable compression (low speed, I think?) and rebound and adds a volume adjuster that takes the place of the older trick of adding more oil to the fork to increase progressivity. The EVO models came with slotted bushings that apparently eliminated 08/09 bushing issues.

EVO V.2 was proclaimed to add a shimmed rebound damper, but I've heard some commentary to the opposite from people have opened their fork up. I don't own one, and if I did, I probably wouldn't cut it up to look, but that was the claim.

The CR loses the volume adjustability, but apparently has a shimmed compression and ported rebound. It keeps the same chassis as the EVO models though. Avalanche has some good info on the damper, and it's quite similar to their Fox 40 damper, although without the avalanche quality and sheer number of shims.

I don't ride enough to need any of them, but I'm looking at sinking a minimum of $100 into my old monster or 888 just to get it working...whereas I might be able to sell them both and put in an extra $250 or so to get a CR.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
They are still making the CR for 2013, don't know where you heard otherwise. They don't seem to have RCV listed as an option anymore though (thank god). Overall though I don't think there are any changes to the 888. They are putting the EVO v2 into the 55 though.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
As far as I can see in our catalogue they are identical apart from the coating on the stancions.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
gemini, I know you're involved with both DVO and Marzocchi...is that true going forward?
LOLLLLL

Let me make one thing clear - he is NOT involved with DVO. Hears some chatter here and there, but involved, no.

Has a bit of a "relationship" with Marzocchi though.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Yah on my '10 66 I made use of the air vol preload coz midstroke was a lil on the soft side for me. With some air in it was the best 7" sc fork Ive ridden.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
FWIW, I've been running a CR 55 for 4 or 5 months now, and its been more than competent. Stiff chassis (have mine set at 150 mm), easy to set up correct sag, functional rebound & comp damping adjustments, and respectable weight. The damping adjustments don't have a huge amount of range, but you can tell a difference with basically each click. I do wish it had low & high speed compression adjustments, but given its "budget placement" in the lineup, no surprise.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's good to hear. I'd love to have a fancy complicated damper, but I found the adjustments on my boxxer to not work all that well, and my total budget on this bike hovers at about $300, so investing in a $1700 fork is not the slightest bit realistic.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
FWIW, I've been running a CR 55 for 4 or 5 months now, and its been more than competent. Stiff chassis (have mine set at 150 mm), easy to set up correct sag, functional rebound & comp damping adjustments, and respectable weight. The damping adjustments don't have a huge amount of range, but you can tell a difference with basically each click. I do wish it had low & high speed compression adjustments, but given its "budget placement" in the lineup, no surprise.
Ya I'm a big fan of my 55 CR. I've put it through it's paces as well. Can't beat the price either.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I honestly wonder if they could possibly have moved any manufacturing away from suntour by now, or if they're just assembling forks with old stock parts until the new lineup is ready. Everything I've read has said "assembled" in taiwan at hodaka.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
nothing changed on 2013 88888's besides color and the "gold race coating"
First of all, Marzocchi's 2013 line will be manufactured by Hodaka, who previously manufactured their rear shocks. Hodaka is a short term solution for Marzocchi, though, as they plan to create their own manufacturing plant and assembly line a few years down the road. Model year 2013 brings a lot of changes to Marzocchi's lineup, and they've reduced their range from 40 models to just 13. The new goal is to specialize in premium products rather than making a fork for every application.

Aside from the change in manufacturers, the 888 RC3 EVO V2 (left) gets a minor upgrade internally for 2013. Based on rider feedback from their World Cup racers, they adjusted the shim stack to help keep the fork higher in its travel over high speed chatter. Be on the lookout for a completely new downhill fork and rear shock from Marzocchi in the future...
but they also said that the fork has a shimmed rebound which it has not so...

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Why don't they just add a proper rebound stack and a hydraulic bottomout bumper. Seriously, charge an extra 100 quid for the forks, I'd pay it.