Quantcast

2013 lefty biz

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sandwich, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 829

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jdcamb

jdcamb Tool Time!

Rep/Likes:
    253 / 2,600
    They really do work well. I think over time the cost of ownership is to much though....

3. woodsguy

woodsguy gets infinity MPG

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    Really? Cause I've been hammering my Lefty Max since 2005 (only bike but only light dh) and only had to rebuild it 3 times (around $100 each time). No failures of any kind, just routine stuff. I've heard of much more frequent maintenance with other forks.

They are a superior design to the "traditional" fork. People just don't like they way they look.

302 Found

Jump to 1:40
    302 Found

#3 -   Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  4. jacksonpt

jacksonpt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Interesting... had been wondering about Leftys...

5. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    The Lefty was really revitalized in the 29er boom.

For one thing, initially it was just a stock 26 inch fork that was shimmed down from 110mm to 80mm, which made it easy for Cannondale to refit it. The archless design is a natural for larger wheels.

I've rebuilt one, it wasn't much harder to do than any other fork. The high end Lefty weighs as much as a SID and look at the picture I have been saving for years, Cedric casing a backflip. No wheel deflection at all.

Really, ask the haters these two simple questions to find out how baseless their claims are: "Ever ride a Lefty?" and "Ever rebuild one?"

Attached Files:

#5 -   Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  6. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 829
    I had a MAX 140 and didn't like it, but it was FFD and the bearings needed to be reset badly, as it topped out hard. Wish I had known that at the time, but it was on a prophet which was just such a horrible idea it's not funny. Bad shock, too long eTT, too long stem, turned me into a dummy.

I'm looking at a rush with a lefty to convert to 650b. Supposedly you can do so without mods to the fork or frame, and it gives you BB clearance to boot.

I dig the new leftys, I think the internalized rollers are a great idea, but I'm anxious to see how bad the stiction is with the new bushing and seal, as that was essentially headshok's claim to faim (no bushings, no friction). I really dig the bearing auto-locator though. Rockshox **** scares me though, I don't want that in my high end fork. I expect a major recall within a year after release.

7. jdcamb

jdcamb Tool Time!

Rep/Likes:
    253 / 2,600
    Did you have to pay someone to do the work? Or did you buy the tools to do it yourself?

My Fox Talas has been serviced by me 3 times with tools that I already had for about $15. It works pretty well

8. woodsguy

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    Wow, I must be a much better rider than I thought cause I think my Prophet is a perfect "do it all" bike. I guess its all me! :D

9. woodsguy

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    I probably could do it myself. I've reset the bearings a couple of times (it uses a bb tool to remove the cap), but I would rather an expert do it. The first two rebuilds were done by a shop (Landrys and Providence bike) but the last rebuild was shipped back to Cannondale and they did a much better job. That rebuild was over two years ago and its just now showing signs of needing another rebuild. I think this time I will send it off to Mendon Cycles to have a Fox PBR put in.

10. jdcamb

jdcamb Tool Time!

Rep/Likes:
    253 / 2,600
    Craig at Mendon is certainly the lefty guy... I used to work there....

11. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 829
    Not that the prophet is a bad idea, MY prophet was a bad idea. It was a large and those bikes were ENORMOUS. Add to that the 120mm stem and radium shock...and yeah, it wasn't very good.

12. CBJ

CBJ Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    92 / 1,175
    So you are saying the bike was fine but you do not know how to buy a bike that fits you ;)

Sandwich remember we are always here to help you or at least make sarcastic comments.

13. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 829
    you're too kind.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm back on a L with a 24.4" top tube...though this time I can actually run a shorter stem.

14. local717

local717 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 13
    Next time you see Craig, tell him Todd formerly of Lupine says hi!

15. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    You need two special tool.

One is the castle tool. It is like a bb removal tool.

The other is a large black implement which pushes out the steering column. I don't know what it is called, but it looks like a personal servicing device.

However, most non-Cannondale shops do not have them. Most shops, even Cannondale ones, send the forks back for service.

16. JRogers

JRogers talks too much

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    New Lefty looks pretty neat. I used to run a Lefty Max 140 on my Prophet...I liked the performance enough, but working on it was not as fun. Bearings had to be re-seated somewhat frequently and my fork eventually developed a top out and knocking noises that I could not seem to fix. Rebound adjustment stopped working too. The basic rebuild was more difficult than just about anything else I've worked on. I got rid of it and bought a TALAS and have been happy with that. The Prophet is still going strong; I still have the bike and it has been pretty great.