Quantcast

2013 massanutten yee ha dates?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Massanutten's 2013 YEE-HA! downhill bike race has been cancelled. March snow storms have left the slopes covered in snow later than usual. We have decided against re-scheduling the race to a later date due to a busy resort schedule and existing race dates at other venues. Sorry for any inconvenience and we hope you will come race here in the future.
George Willetts sent me a message a while back mentioning he isn't involved in the MTB program any longer. Until it's proven otherwise, I can only imagine the above is the result of them not giving a crap now that he's not over it. I'm sure George will chime in to correct me if I'm wrong.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
George Willetts sent me a message a while back mentioning he isn't involved in the MTB program any longer. Until it's proven otherwise, I can only imagine the above is the result of them not giving a crap now that he's not over it. I'm sure George will chime in to correct me if I'm wrong.
BAM.....

I got the same message from George not too long ago.

My other conspiracy theory has to do with this being an unsanctioned race and all that stupid UCI, USAC crap floating around causing lower than normal registration numbers and we can conveniently use snowmelt as an excuse on an 84* day.....

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Just finished chattin with george via facebook. I by NO MEANS want to put words in his mouth.

But he did say that he hadn't checked out the race course yet, but that the area under the first lift where everyone usually camps is likely the main culprit. He said they would probably have to run two lifts to get people to the base of the 2nd lift for the race, which no doubt is a significant cost.

Really doesn't matter how much we speculate, they cancelled the race, the cabin I rented won't refund my money, and its unlikely that either of those things will change.

Bummer for everyone, except chillnrdude, this race wasn't very cool according to him. :D

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My other conspiracy theory has to do with this being an unsanctioned race and all that stupid UCI, USAC crap floating around causing lower than normal registration numbers and we can conveniently use snowmelt as an excuse on an 84* day.....
I was actually going to the race because it's NOT a USAC race.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Harrisonburg was hit hard by that late season snowstorm (snow and precipt).
That storm was very localized, some areas got hammered.

The local parks were flooded, not sure if all them are even open now.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I would be willing to bet that if you called and tried to book the lodge for a large shindig at this point, they'll tell you there is some massive and expensive corporate thing going on that very weekend. Money talks and if a big sales conference or doctors drunken mega-golf weekend is going on, we get the boot.

Running that second lift has never been a hurdle before.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
The spring calender says they are running all lifts to the top on Monday, Wednesday, Friday following the race and every weekend thereafter. They aren't worried about a lift. They just don't care.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
While i may be indifferent to the race, i can empathasize about being shafted outta money.

I was just yanking your adjustable seat post.....I agree, massanutten isn't the awesomest race venue in the world, but I have fun and looked forward to getting some spring riding in, meeting up with some friends from the east coast, road tripping down, and getting a chance to ride my bike.

Not being able to get a refund from the cabin owner is chappin my ball sack though

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Notify your card holder that you dispute the charge and have no evidence of a signed contract from the owner. Even if you don't get your money back, it will make him at least work for not having a soul.
unfortunately he only accepted a check. Which was most convenient for me, but has now screwed me. He cashed the check, can't stop payment.
Live and learn.

Got him willing to refund half the money.....

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Hello Butch,

I wanted to clarify that Massanutten has the resources to run another great event. They enjoy Promoting Mountain Bike Races.
I can totally see how slow and boring the event would appear to everyone parked and camping on the pavement. Massanutten could not afford to have the slopes rutted with 4 Wheel Drive traffic is my
assumption.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Hello Butch,

I wanted to clarify that Massanutten has the resources to run another great event. They enjoy Promoting Mountain Bike Races.
I can totally see how slow and boring the event would appear to everyone parked and camping on the pavement. Massanutten could not afford to have the slopes rutted with 4 Wheel Drive traffic is my
assumption.
Sorry George. I just assumed it too big of a coincidence that the very first year you aren't involved, it gets canned.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Just a little update. Ian from Massanutten has gone ABOVE and beyond in trying to work with the cabin owner to refund our money due to the race being cancelled.

I think Massanutten does care about mountain bikers.