Jan 3, 2012
The 2013 Snowshoe Bike Park Events Calendar:

• May 24-27: Opening Weekend: Memorial Day
• June 8-9: Snowshoe Gravity Series: Race I
• June 22: New Event: Details will be forthcoming
• June 29-30: Bike Park Closed for GNCC
• July 13-14:
o USA Cycling Pro GRT Race @ Snowshoe Bike Park
o Women’s Weekend Camp (all skill levels)
• July 20-21: MMR Downhill / Freeride Camp w/ Shaums March
o (intermediate – advanced riders)
• July 23-25: MMR Junior Downhill Race Camp w/ Shaums March
o (intermediate – advanced racers ages 8 – 18)
• July 26: Open Race Camp w/ Shaums March
o (open to all ages, gender, skill levels)
• July 27-28: Snowshoe Gravity Series: Race II
• August 3-4: Women’s Weekend Camp (all skill levels)
• August 10-11: Blues, Brews, Bikes, & BBQ Festival
• August 17-18: Still Tentative: MMR Downhill / Freeride Camp w/ Shaums March
o (beginner – intermediate riders)
• August 24: The 2nd Annual Chomolungma Challenge
• Aug 30-Sep 2: Labor Day Weekend
• September 14-15: Snowshoe Gravity Series: Race III
• October 5-6: Closing Weekend, 6th Annual M&O Race

*Details subject to change

Last edited:

TommyH

Chimp
Mar 21, 2011
Do you know if they will be doing the special like last year with the cabins? Think it was like 70 a night per person min 3, included lift pass? I really want to book and go up this year.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Mike, not sure if you are still checking this thread/forum, but can you please point whomever replaces you at Snowshoe in the direction of this thread/forum?

Good luck out West! Pleasure working with you.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Mike, not sure if you are still checking this thread/forum, but can you please point whomever replaces you at Snowshoe in the direction of this thread/forum?

Anyone heard who's driving the ship now that Mike Baker/Wildcat Strong has moved out west?

Last edited:

SnowshoeMTB

Chimp
Apr 16, 2013
Snowshoe, WV
Unfortunately this event is being pulled right now. Focusing on the existing events this season before adding any additional events.

Saw this on Snowshoe's website this morning.....

The Chupacabra Challenge: June 22nd & 23rd
BRAND NEW EVENT!
More info to come on this nighttime downhill event.

r_evans

Chimp
May 9, 2012
Statesville, NC
just got my season pass, cant wait! When does reqistration open for the Chomo?
Maybe there was some misunderstanding on their part when I emailed to ask, but they responded saying the season pass doesn't cover race weekends. Anybody know if that's true? I would assume season pass would cover lift ticket for race weekend and just have to pay reg fees for race.

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
I dont think that is the case, if you look under registration for each of the races (atleast the snowshoe series) it says -2 day pass- for non-season pass holders. Not sure about the sanctioned races though.

SnowshoeMTB

Chimp
Apr 16, 2013
Snowshoe, WV
Season Passes will allow access through the entire MTB season. Race day or not. So that means with your Snowshoe Bike Park season pass all you'll need is a race reg. to race.

Chomo Reg. will be up soon, check back we'll try to announce it here when the page is built.

SnowshoeMTB

Chimp
Apr 16, 2013
Snowshoe, WV
No doubt. Do us a favor, and if you have any friends that even MIGHT ride this summer let them know! 2 weekends of lift tickets will cost more than an entire season... 15 days till the lifts start spinning.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
No doubt. Do us a favor, and if you have any friends that even MIGHT ride this summer let them know! 2 weekends of lift tickets will cost more than an entire season... 15 days till the lifts start spinning.
Social media skills will definitely get the word out.Checking and posting on here is greatly appreciated, I got my season pass yesterday! Best deal out there :lighten:

Zero

Chimp
May 13, 2013
So I've heard that camping is allowed in some areas at Snowshoe? Is this true? If so, where exactly? I was thinking of heading up for opening weekend, but I would like to save some money and just pitch a tent. I think I remember hearing about the area/parking lot by Silver Lake Lodge. Not sure though.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
SnowshoeMTB - can we get this information posted in the VA & Surrounding Areas forum as well? Seeing as it is more pertinent for that region, albeit there is always more activity in The South forum.
Just unsure if the 'regulars' in the VA forum will venture in here for information...

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
Great race as usual and looked like a good turnout. Snowshoe seems to be gaining in popularity (probably DH as a whole). Looking forward to Race 2, assuming my schedule works out.

If I may make a suggestion for future improvements: Start the race an hour earlier and throw in an extra hour of practice on Saturday. There's plenty of daylight left.

As the number of racers grows, you're going to have to start the races earlier. Delays tend to be inevitable but with as many participants as we had, plus the usual time to validate results and do prizes, things are pushing late into the afternoon. A bunch of us have 6+ hr drives, which means arriving home after midnight We all love to ride and race at Snowshoe, but we also need to get to work at 7-8am the next morning, and preferably sleep before then.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Great race as usual and looked like a good turnout. Snowshoe seems to be gaining in popularity (probably DH as a whole). Looking forward to Race 2, assuming my schedule works out.

If I may make a suggestion for future improvements: Start the race an hour earlier and throw in an extra hour of practice on Saturday. There's plenty of daylight left.

As the number of racers grows, you're going to have to start the races earlier. Delays tend to be inevitable but with as many participants as we had, plus the usual time to validate results and do prizes, things are pushing late into the afternoon. A bunch of us have 6+ hr drives, which means arriving home after midnight We all love to ride and race at Snowshoe, but we also need to get to work at 7-8am the next morning, and preferably sleep before then.
I agree with this to some extent. I arrived home at 3am Monday morning. I also live in Michigan so I know what I am getting into.

I was under the impression that the western territory lift was supposed to run until 6pm saturday. I thought i remember it running until 6pm on saturdays last year, but then again I don't remember if I mowed the lawn yesterday or not. That alone would be great for practice, and great for those of us who bought the season pass and travel extremely far and are trying to make the most of our money.

It would be hard to start much earlier on sundays, given that the course closes at 10am for "most" of us to allow the pros some practice time, I wouldn't be willing to give up a few sunday morning runs before the race, conditions can change quite a bit over night.

That said, the event as usual was pretty good. I had a good time and I'll be back for #2.

Last edited:

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Remember the park held last year's race 3 on Saturday, I think to feel it out. Trevyn was asking for feedback on whether or not riders liked/disliked it. I am not sure what the outcome was, if any.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Back in 2006,2007,2008 I remember doing my race runs around the 5pm hour. Nothing new. The only easy way I see getting around it is 30sec intervals on the beginners and sports. Or if you seeded the pro's Saturday evening, you could possibly run them at 30 sec intervals.

But I think with so many other ways down the mountain to get "seat time" I really only think you need 1 to 2 runs on the race course on Sunday before you race. Otherwise you can stay loose on the other runs.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Remember the park held last year's race 3 on Saturday, I think to feel it out. Trevyn was asking for feedback on whether or not riders liked/disliked it. I am not sure what the outcome was, if any.
It seemed to have mixed reviews. I liked it, but I don't mind the sunday races either.

I am ok with the sunday schedule. My biggest gripe was that the lift closed so early on Saturday.

30 second windows would suck. I have caught and passed the guy before me in the last two races. I'm just a weekend warrior, last year when I caught the guy it was at the very bottom, didn't affect my race run, and I still came in something like 5th in my class out of 10.

This year I didn't catch the guy directly in front of me, I caught the guy who went out in front of him.

I agree on staying loose for your race run. I like to get 2 practice runs in on Sunday before the race. Then during the hour the fast kids race I go play on powerline before my race run.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
My favorite was what they did in 2011. 2 races in one weekend. Practice and race on Saturday for race 1, and practice and race on Sunday for race 2 on a different course. That was an awesome idea, and I went to it, but the storms got the Saturday race cancelled so we just raced one course on Sunday. That works great for somebody like me to get in 2 races in one weekend from one trip up there.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
That weekend had great potential. Was a great idea.
My favorite was what they did in 2011. 2 races in one weekend. Practice and race on Saturday for race 1, and practice and race on Sunday for race 2 on a different course. That was an awesome idea, and I went to it, but the storms got the Saturday race cancelled so we just raced one course on Sunday. That works great for somebody like me to get in 2 races in one weekend from one trip up there.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
The one reason I liked the Sat race day (it's selfish and totally a result of my own choice) was I could ride on Sunday and wasn't out on the course photoging all day. I didn't like it cause there weren't that many people out on Friday riding so I had one day worth of shooting to get what I needed.

A different perspective, but just from maybe 2 to 3 people, photogs aren't the majority.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
gojam gotta ride to yo!

I am good with either format. I did like knowing I could get up sunday and ride till my hands fell off and get an early start on the 9 hours home.

With it being as far from home as it is I always drive down on thursdays to ride friday, so either way I get 3 days of riding in.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Sometimes it does suck going all that way and not riding, but it's a personal choice and I am good with it.

There was twice this weekend I had a bad itch to go dump my stuff and grab my bike. Sat morning in the woods just after the Cupp Cake Gap and later that day when I was hanging out in the rock garden.

It's all good. We'll prob make a non race trip there something this summer.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Great work as always Jay. It's awesome having someone like you here in the Southeast, we as riders owe a lot to you for all the hard work and no play on those weekends...
Thanks Dave

Sometimes it does suck going all that way and not riding, but it's a personal choice and I am good with it.

There was twice this weekend I had a bad itch to go dump my stuff and grab my bike. Sat morning in the woods just after the Cupp Cake Gap and later that day when I was hanging out in the rock garden.

It's all good. We'll prob make a non race trip there something this summer.

Last edited:

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I was browsing Bikereg the other day and noticed that registration for Chomolungma was opened a couple of weeks ago. I am surprised I didn't see any announcement about that because the event last year was awesome.

Looks like they dropped the quad class and opened up 25 more spots in the solo class. I wonder if the format and trails will be the same this year?

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I think that the park opened registration for all their races at one time, Chomo and the three series races. I am gonna do a "Save the Date" via gojammedia, just haven't gotten around to it just yet.

caketown

Chimp
Mar 1, 2012
Anybody know of some other folks coming from Eastern NC to race? I'm trying to find somebody to carpool with. I hear tell theres some folks from Jacksonville going up there but I didn't catch their names.