Quantcast

2013 World Cups announced

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
And I overheard this from a friend:
"we can all thank Lance for bringing a new focus and new passion for road bike racing in the late 90's that saw MTB sponsorship dollars, within the industry, leave in epic proportions. They all got on the road racing/lance train and left MTB in the dust...so when you ask me "dont you think they should just leave lance alone", I say no, because in some weird, f-ed up way, he took money from my genre of sport, and made everyone drink the road racing sauce, and it was all sold on a bill of goods that was based on cheating, manipulation and lies and mob-like mentality....allegedly hahahaha"
But what about the Belarusian farmers?

Stanground brah.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I was thinking about this the other day when I saw the schedule change on Vital. What is the "tipping point" for the frustration with UCI? Will there ever be a day when the premier racing series isn't affiliated with UCI? Or is DH just too niche to get out from the umbrella of UCI?
Can't become an Olympic cycling discipline without UCI backing, or am I wrong about that?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Unfortunately I don't think DH will ever become an Olympic sport regardless of their affiliation with UCI.
Why does everyone seem to always point to the Olympics as some sort of measure of validity in sport? The Olympics could not possibly be less relevant to me or you. It seems to make more sense that the direction of the sport should be driven by the participants from a grassroots level rather than from Aigle or Lausanne.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Unfortunately I don't think DH will ever become an Olympic sport regardless of their affiliation with UCI.
Why can't we create our own great events instead of conforming to some ancient Greek event ressurected by some English snob only to later complain the sacrifices we had to make it ruined the event itself. Do you really think DH will be better when it is compared to wrestling, throwing heavy objects and some girls dancing with a little flag thingy?

I'm with dump 100%. BMX, Skate and many other prominent couldn't care less about the olympics. Snowboard didn't really care and the whole official lets do what the old swiss guys want hurt the sport at one point. Not to mention even in road the olympic gold medal isn't the most important achievement. So why should we care?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Why does everyone seem to always point to the Olympics as some sort of measure of validity in sport? The Olympics could not possibly be less relevant to me or you. It seems to make more sense that the direction of the sport should be driven by the participants from a grassroots level rather than from Aigle or Lausanne.
I agree, but I'm a 37 year old fun rider without kids. I think the olympics mean quite a bit to talented young athletes, their parents and their sponsors.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
screw the olympics and their old boys club governance....and the UCI too, and a **** ton of the national cycling organizations, they're what's holding us back....if that's our sports highest goal, I think we've already lost the plot. Look at how the freeride mtb tour group has managed to build a pretty successful brand, and they're able to adapt to new styles as the sport evolves, quickly...they also have pretty diverse events. Anyway, whatever, it's just one loud mouths opinion! ahaha

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I agree, but I'm a 37 year old fun rider without kids. I think the olympics mean quite a bit to talented young athletes, their parents and their sponsors.
BMX is more than good enough. The mains at both games so far were chock full of MTB world champions, world cup champions, etc.
Collegiate BMX racing is starting this year.
There are now 13 colleges you can get cycling scholarships. All of the college-age BMX honches I know of (except Fields) raced MTB's this season(even xc!).
That'll do enough to develop gravity talent if you ask me.

Bike racing is bike racing, and those guys are the best gated races on the planet.

The Olympics rarely happen near mountains, so DH is a non-starter

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Mickey, what conference is starting that?
Acronyms:
Not a conference, USABMX(nee NBL), the USAC affiliate governing body is doing it under the auspices of NCCA.

I have a young lady from Marian college that I'm training and building bikes for #5 pro in 2011, her team folded this season so she only did a few nationals this year,
Marian will be paying for her to go to 10-15 national races as the collegiate class will be run concurrently with the standard nationals.

It's hard to sign collegiate BMX talent at the moment as all of the top riders are already pros.
It's the best thing to happen to BMX since wheelies.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Mains at China had 3 riders that has MTB backgrounds, the London games only had Sam who has dabbled in MTB very little, and Caroline who was 4x world champ, dont know if i'd call that 'chock full' of riders in the mains.

I work with MTB and BMX athletes, all day, everyday, I'd hardly say BMX has helped anything...has not HURT its growth, but its not taking it to the 'next level' by any means.

BMX is more than good enough. The mains at both games so far were chock full of MTB world champions, world cup champions, etc.
Collegiate BMX racing is starting this year.
There are now 13 colleges you can get cycling scholarships. All of the college-age BMX honches I know of (except Fields) raced MTB's this season(even xc!).
That'll do enough to develop gravity talent if you ask me.

Bike racing is bike racing, and those guys are the best gated races on the planet.

The Olympics rarely happen near mountains, so DH is a non-starter

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Is the TdF the most important achievement? If you believe it is... well that is UCI sanctioned.
Yes but it's important not because it is UCI sanctioned. We can make our own Downhill TDF race without the Uci. Just make an awesome race, yearly and people will want to start. Crankworx is that for slope already.

Not to mention what's everyones obsession with the sport being the biggest on the planet. I prefer it being awesome to it being big.