Quantcast

2014 Fox 40 Float FIT Tuning Thread

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Got the 40 Air today looks pretty good I need to double check the weight on a few scales! Anyone have any ballpark settings to start out with I am 210 and not so fast anymore ride rocky terrain.......

Last edited:

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
Got the 40 Air today looks pretty good I need to double check the weight on a few scales![/QUOTE]

So if you actually got it, why not post an actual pic of it?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
What an informative thread. Maybe I should start one when I get a new derailleur housing.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Got the 40 Air today looks pretty good I need to double check the weight on a few scales!
So if you actually got it, why not post an actual pic of it?[/QUOTE]

That is the picture of it I took today. Hence the watermark on it!

What an informative thread. Maybe I should start one when I get a new derailleur housing.
It came in at 6.1LBS on the scale so not quite as light as some were claiming. That better?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
How bout a picture of it on the scale?
Yeah I will put it on the park scale tomorrow. If someone wants to use my file they can contact me the $9K Profoto Box and $6K in heads were not free. Though I wish they were I would still charge its how I make my living.... I will get non studio images that are not watermarked on the bike.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
If you're going to go through the trouble of watermarking your image, shouldn't they be on the layer above the fork?

How much more is this than the previous 40?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Here is a similar stock photo sans watermark to make this thread marginally less useless.

It's still pretty useless though.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
If you're going to go through the trouble of watermarking your image, shouldn't they be on the layer above the fork?

How much more is this than the previous 40?
I think the MSRP is $1799 maybe $1700....

As long as my name is on it along with the camera EXIF it helps.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Okay my personal scale was heaviest at 6.04 the lightest was 6.01 so there you have it.....keep in mind this is pre production version so it may change.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Just got back from the first Canada Cup race of the season at Tremblant and three racers in the Masters
category were racing on the new 40 this weekend, kind of funny that the top elite riders still were not on them though. I guess those old racers had some pull over at Fox.
Feedback was positive and they all commented on how sensitive it was to air preesure settings also the actual range "difference" from minimum to max settings was only around 50 PSI. Some comments were that it might not be well suited for very light weight riders since at the minimum air spring pressures it would be difficult to acheive the desired sag.

Last edited:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Just got back from the first Canada Cup race of the season at Tremblant and three racers in the Masters
category were racing on the new 40 this weekend, kind of funny that the top elite riders still were not on them though. I guess those old racers had some pull over at Fox.
Feedback was positive and they all commented on how sensitive it was to air preesure settings also the actual range "difference" from minimum to max settings was only around 50 PSI. Some comments were that it might not be well suited for very light weight riders since at the minimum air spring pressures it would be difficult to acheive the desired sag.
Light riders will likely need a different negative spring.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Where's the tuning?
If the cartridge is the same,
And your an agressive rider
On steep trails
Who will want some plushness and good bottoming resistance.
I suggest adding an extra face shim maybe two.

This will allow you to run the lsc further open without being underdampened. The further open lsc feels great on braking bumps and small rocks but looses slight amount of pedaling efficiency. But it transitions to the shim stack much nicer. The extra face shim stiffenes up the low to medium speed stuff and allows you to back your hsc off abit so you get less ultra low speed more low speed more midspeed and the same high speed dampening and it just works great!!

Now this hole air thing. It's not the same unit as the trek hybrid thing? It's full air right?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
No it has nothing in common with the Trek hybrid setup, yes it's 'full air' however it uses a coil negative spring (similar to previous float forks), which seems to work reasonably well.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Any ride time on the new fork?
Interested to hear feed back on setup and feel.
No am waiting on the a MD sized frame to mount the Dorado on so it may be a bit after all before it actually gets mounted up...thought I had enough for another frame but it will be a bit longer. :(

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
great write:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/First-Ride-Air-Sprung-Fox-40-Float-RC2-Fork--The-Truth-is-Reveal.html

"The most common damping setup error in DH is that riders use excessive low-speed rebound damping to keep the bike from bouncing their landings. Mark Fitzsimmons says to back the rebound dial off to smooth normal chatter and terrain, and then to increase high-speed compression damping to correct the bounce.

"
Does the fork have independant high speed and low speed rebound settings? I thought that was just the shock??

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Fox always has only had external low speed rebound damping on the forks and the shocks.

Interesting quote. According an article from a few years back on pinkbike, the pros run pretty slow rebound settings on their shocks (between 5 and 7 clicks from full closed). The forks were all around 12 clicks from fully closed. Not sure about custom valved rebound stacks, though

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Fox always has only had external low speed rebound damping on the forks and the shocks.

Interesting quote. According an article from a few years back on pinkbike, the pros run pretty slow rebound settings on their shocks (between 5 and 7 clicks from full closed). The forks were all around 12 clicks from fully closed. Not sure about custom valved rebound stacks, though
I love slow rebound. Not that I'm fast or anything but it smooths out everything real nice. If it's true that the pros run high springrates in their forks it's understandeable that they have to compensate wiht more rebound.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I'd say is the other way round. Faster riders tend to have lots of compression damping and less low speed rebound damping.

They are hitting stuff faster so forces are greater (hence more compression damping required) and they skip features more hence the faster rebound to acquire traction sooner.

Of course it is very important to have a perfect balance of damping between the LSR and HSR circuits (by perfect balance I mean proper valving according to spring rate and transition from LSR to HSR). Nothing worse than having a rebound damper that has a very early transition from HSR to LSR.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Does the fork have independant high speed and low speed rebound settings? I thought that was just the shock??
The rebound clickers is a lsr adjuster it just moves a needle which allows oil to bypass the rebound shim stack which in the fit 40s case is two 12mm x (0.01" I think its 0.01" anyway).
the bleed is just a delay untill a velocity is reached where the shims will deflect. It's the same as your lsc adjuster in function.
To have a major effect on high speed rebound you would need to change the shim stack :)

I find faster rebound more plush allows for a higher dynamic ride height so the proper part of the stroke is being used.

Its just gets back to the ground faster and reaches for the ground behind bumps and rocks.

But it seems slightly slower than the most comfterable rebound settings holds lines better in corners..

This is fork only talk BTW.

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
So remember, we design a very wide rebound range to deal with the large weight
differences between our customers. No single person should think that they can
use the entire range. The useful range for a given person is only about 3 clicks.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-The-Point-Rebound-Damping-2013.html

In my understanding this explains it perfectly. If I get a few fork I go from open to slow over the same trail till I find the sweet spot. From there I only can use about 3-4 clicks before it feels worse.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
In my understanding this explains it perfectly. If I get a few fork I go from open to slow over the same trail till I find the sweet spot. From there I only can use about 3-4 clicks before it feels worse.
This.
I am a bit on the upper side of the spectrum i guess, about 90kg with gear and liking a relatively stiff setup with 20% or less SAG in the front and 30% in the rear. That explains the high amount of rebound damping I need.

Still testing if I can get away with a faster setup.

Last edited: