Quantcast

2014 Nukeproof Pulse

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Chainreation is blowing out their 2014 Pulse DH bikes, got a couple questions. I have to find a new DH bike for my son and these look like they fit the bill price wise.

1- Ive heard good things about them, but never seen one myself. Any opinions good or bad?

2- My son is 14 and almost 6'2", I would love to get him something that he can still grow into a little The largest Pulse frame they make has a 24.5 TT Not sure if that is going to big enough or not.

Thanks for the help

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
No input on the Pulse, but I did ride a large Scalp for a few years. Solid bike. A tank. Point and shoot type of DH rig. At 6'2" the large was fine for me. Not sure if the sizing changed for the Pulse. I went to an NS Fuzz and won't look back. It's another frame to consider that Chainreaction is blowing out. More playful and still great in the rough stuff. And the large is a great fit at 6'2". There are tons of good deals on 26" DH frames these days.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
1. I think the Pulse is actually a really good frame - the suspension kinematics are good, and the geometry is also good. Points for straight 1.5" headtube, 30.9 seat tube, and standard 8mm shock hardware. Simple things but plenty of bikes screw those up, so I think it's a good sign.

2. In terms of sizing, for DH bikes the distance from hands to feet is much more critical (to fit) than toptube length, the best data to compare bikes in this particular dimension is to use the reach and stack together (to use the reach alone as many do is not actually correct or particularly useful). It takes a little math: sqrt(reach^2+stack^2). This is handy if he already has a bike that fits him well, so you can compare the aforementioned value of the current bike to that of new ones.

But if that's not the case, I think the XL Pulse would be a good fit for someone 6'2 with room to move with growth - the wheelbase is a generous 48.66" in the short CS setting so it's not a short bike by any means. If the price is right and the warranty is good (I couldn't find any details) then I'd say go for it.