Quantcast

2014 Scott Gambler

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
was gonna say that it doesn't really look good on the catalogue pics but on the last pic, it looks great

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
sweet i wonder if there is a minidh version with a singlecrownfor 2104 i recall seeing a video and one of the guys was ripping it up on what looked like a minidh gambler with a single crown fox 36 up front

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
no the vid i seen was a different one they where riding some killer single track in dry warmer weather , similar looking bike could be the same rider and bike
That was Vincent Tupin in San Remo, Italy. It is a stock Gambler in the high bb setting with a +1° headset. Vincent is on a 40 now.

This was probably the vid you were thinking of? http://vimeo.com/63566953

On another note, check their big hucks on hardtails. http://vimeo.com/68312725

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
You probably did. There are a few riders and shop owners on the new frames or color samples. Did you see the blue and orange one and maybe a black and white one?
I only noticed the blue and green ones. Great tracks in Morgins btw (I think you built them) but hard to remember the lines and avoid the cows on the first time. :D

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Whats the sizing like on these? Had a look on the Scott website and the Med seems quite short in the TT compared to the Med Sunday Ive got just now. I know heehaw about reach and stack numbers though.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How tall are you? Coming off an M Sunday you'll fit both M/L Gambler (I've ridden all three) however neither will be the same. The M will have a ~1" longer wheelbase and shorter hand-foot distance (by about 12mm), while the L will have a ~2"+ (i.e. much) longer wheelbase and similar hand-foot distance (longer by about 6mm).

I would make the call depending on the tracks you ride - if it's fast open euro tracks without a lot of tight corners the L will be great, but if most of your riding isn't in the PDS then the M is probably better - unless you like / want to change to a bigger bike.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
How tall are you? Coming off an M Sunday you'll fit
both M/L Gambler (I've ridden all three) however neither will be the same. The M will have a ~1" longer wheelbase and shorter hand-foot distance (by about 12mm), while the L will have a ~2"+ (i.e. much) longer wheelbase and similar hand-foot distance (longer by about 6mm).

I would make the call depending on the tracks you ride - if it's fast open euro tracks without a lot of tight corners the L will be great, but if most of your riding isn't in the PDS then the M is probably better - unless you like / want to change to a bigger bike.
I'm 176cm so on the Scott size chart it looked like only the M was recommended, but I do like a bit of space in the top tube. I ride a mix of stuff really, tight rooty technical to Ft William and similar. Not been out to PDS for a few years but I'll need to get out again.

Love the Sunday, I wont be any faster on another bike, but it is starting to show its age and if I do replace it its probably more cost effective to buy a full bike like the Gambler 30, YT Tues etc. around the £2.5k mark.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'm 176cm so on the Scott size chart it looked like only the M was recommended, but I do like a bit of space in the top tube. I ride a mix of stuff really, tight rooty technical to Ft William and similar. Not been out to PDS for a few years but I'll need to get out again.

Love the Sunday, I wont be any faster on another bike, but it is starting to show its age and if I do replace it its probably more cost effective to buy a full bike like the Gambler 30, YT Tues etc. around the £2.5k mark.
I think a Large would be good.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
it says Large size is discountinued :p

you can always run short stem if it is too long. Stratiline has 28mm.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
i think it is replaced by new 2014 ones.

so far it is discontinued. Damn.. 2013 mass sale starts already now.

Last edited:

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Dont think thats the sale price Tomasis, Im sure I saw that was the RRP for the Gambler 30. It doesnt have the best components but you get a good frame and fork.

Aug 4, 2008
So if I understand correctly for a 85 kg rider one would want 350lbs spring rear and probably a green spring in the Fox 40?

For a 105 kg rider, one would want a 400lbs spring rear and a yellow in front?

Ben does that seem like a sane baseline? TF Tuned recommends funny numbers (350 for 105kg, which gives it 38% sag in practice).

For the record, what are stock springs in the Fox 40's for a Large Gambler 20?

Last edited:

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
So my 2014 Gambler 20 just arrived(still in the box) and I will be swapping parts over from my 2013 Gambler 30. Curious if anyone, has used different cranks with the stock pressed in BB cups? The stock bb on the 20 is a 104 pressfit shimano bb while the 30 is a threaded type. I'm hoping to run my descendant cranks but a little unsure if they will work with the shimano pressfit BB. Anyhow tried this or do I need to source a truvativ pressfit bb? Once I tear into things, I'm sure thing will become obvious as to if it will work or not, just curious if anyone has tried running different cranks with the pressfit 104 bb?

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
So I can find a Sram PF 92. Will this work with the Gamblers 107 width BB?

no where can I find a Sram PF 107....only the Shimano.

Thanks for the help

willi

Chimp
Sep 28, 2012
So I can find a Sram PF 92. Will this work with the Gamblers 107 width BB?

no where can I find a Sram PF 107....only the Shimano.
They only different between PF92 and Shimano PF107 is the longer Sleeve.
But you don´t need this.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah, I think a 400 would be the minimum and maybe even a bit soft depending on your preferences. There should be a green spring in the fork but you might be better on a yellow.

350 is definitely way too soft.

So if I understand correctly for a 85 kg rider one would want 350lbs spring rear and probably a green spring in the Fox 40?

For a 105 kg rider, one would want a 400lbs spring rear and a yellow in front?

Ben does that seem like a sane baseline? TF Tuned recommends funny numbers (350 for 105kg, which gives it 38% sag in practice).

For the record, what are stock springs in the Fox 40's for a Large Gambler 20?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm the same height as you and found the cockpit of the medium too small, I'm running a large in the short CS setting. There are some companies making offset headsets now that you could try if you don't want to buy a new frame, I believe with two external cups you can extend the front end approximately 11mm.

I don't think the 350 will be too hard, I'm positive buckoW will suggest the same, as he encourages firmer springs on this bike. You should definitely try it if you think the 300 is too soft.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
There are some companies making offset headsets now that you could try if you don't want to buy a new frame, I believe with two external cups you can extend the front end approximately 11mm.
Sorry to butt in the conversation, but what other companies do these headsets? Works components does them, but it's been out of stock for a while, and I'l like to try one out.

Last edited: