Quantcast

2015 GT Fury 650B

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Looks like all the furys will be 650B only. This if from the 2015 GT dealer catalog, looks like a solid bike other than the Jalco wheels. Zee drive train and brakes, and the new coil boxxer and a 4k mrsp.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Why wouldn't they be? Why is it even news when a company comes out with a 650b model? It should be news if they release a 26" model really.

Just like carbon and 29ers before it, you bike is now completely unridable unless its 650b. COMPLETELY UNRIDABLE. Put your 26" bike away before you get hurt.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I wonder if 650b will sell in DH since the opposition against it is much stronger than in trenduro. Also a mix of super long fury and bigger wheels. I will laugh whenever I will see people on them on some of our slower local trails

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I wonder if 650b will sell in DH since the opposition against it is much stronger than in trenduro. Also a mix of super long fury and bigger wheels. I will laugh whenever I will see people on them on some of our slower local trails
Then he will yelling behind you on the trail and singing: "I'm fast. I'm faster than you.";)

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I wonder if 650b will sell in DH since the opposition against it is much stronger...
Yes, yes it will sell. The main reason will be because we're forced to. 650 is a new marketing tool. My 2010 Remedy was bought as 26" because that's all it came as. When I warranty my frame next time, it won't be a 26" cause they don't make them anymore. If DH is the only one "holding out", then is it worth it for companies to hold out for the smallest niche of riders? Conformity is what they want. Besides, don't we need a new "standard"? I really wanted a new DH bike this year, but since everyone is testing 650 on the WC stage, I figured I'd wait cause it will be what they'll force on us until 26" is obsolete. In 3-4 years if we need new rims, I'm pretty sure the 650 selection will be better than what's left of the 26" market.

Trust me, I don't want to change either. But I'm not spending another 6k in 2 years because I can't get parts.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yes, yes it will sell. The main reason will be because we're forced to. 650 is a new marketing tool. My 2010 Remedy was bought as 26" because that's all it came as. When I warranty my frame next time, it won't be a 26" cause they don't make them anymore. If DH is the only one "holding out", then is it worth it for companies to hold out for the smallest niche of riders? Conformity is what they want. Besides, don't we need a new "standard"? I really wanted a new DH bike this year, but since everyone is testing 650 on the WC stage, I figured I'd wait cause it will be what they'll force on us until 26" is obsolete. In 3-4 years if we need new rims, I'm pretty sure the 650 selection will be better than what's left of the 26" market.

Trust me, I don't want to change either. But I'm not spending another 6k in 2 years because I can't get parts.

If what you say was true we would all be riding 29 since 2001. We would also love the bb30 standard, 157 axles and use 35mm bars on 0mm long stems. Somehow we don't. The customers simply didn't go after those.

On the other hand the enduro world adopted quickly to the 650b standard, that's why everyone jumped on the trend. Remember that community was positive about 650b 2 years ago. That's why now we have so many of such bikes. If they resisted it I doubt it would be that easy. You overestimate the power of marketing. If if was that easy I'm really not doing my jurb well enough.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Agree, which is why the new Kona 167 (with 26" circles) surprises me -

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/preview-konas-2015-lineup.html

It means people at Kona are not braindead. It's also a park bike and on some more difficult trail you need acceneration and agility, not carrying speed. A week ago I was riding a tech jump trail on my dh bike and I landed short on a few ocations because the run in was very short and you had to pedal to it to make it. A bigger wheel would not help

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Also Kona knows about selling high volume of bikes to bike parks for rental and training fleets.

I'm gonna guess that 10yo, wives and girlfriends and most beginners fare better on smaller wheels.

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
I'm gonna guess that 10yo, wives and girlfriends and most beginners fare better on smaller wheels.
Also 95% of all amateur riders who believe they're faster on "new" marketed bikes :rolleyes:

I wont even gain a few sec/minutes that are meaningful to gain in my whole life.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
If what you say was true we would all be riding 29 since 2001... The customers simply didn't go after those. You overestimate the power of marketing. If if was that easy I'm really not doing my jurb well enough.
I don't know what you do for a living so you're not doing your job well enough.
Second- The Giant Glory will also be 650 next year.
Third- Show me all these 26" wheeled bikes with under 6" of travel and I'll show you 10x the amount of 29'ers... Unfortunately...
It's not what you want or need, it's what they want to sell you is what they manufacturer. Like I said, I held out and will never own a 29'er, but I can't get a 26" hard tail or 4" dualie anymore. I might have to get a 29'er though if 650 or the rebirth of 26" doesn't come to fruition.

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Agree, which is why the new Kona 167 (with 26" circles) surprises me
i wonder if the decision to go 26" was more a factor of how to eke longer travel out of the existing 650 process chassis (without having to stretch / reconfigure the platform significantly) than a desire to appease the #26er4life crowd.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't know what you do for a living so you're not doing your job well enough.
Second- The Giant Glory will also be 650 next year.
Third- Show me all these 26" wheeled bikes with under 6" of travel and I'll show you 10x the amount of 29'ers... Unfortunately...
It's not what you want or need, it's what they want to sell you is what they manufacturer. Like I said, I held out and will never own a 29'er, but I can't get a 26" hard tail or 4" dualie anymore. I might have to get a 29'er though if 650 or the rebirth of 26" doesn't come to fruition.
There were very few 29ers being sold for anything but xc and marathons before the 650b craze began so stop kidding yourself.

Also the fact that a few companies go for something means nothing.

Also you are wrong. For 2015 only a part of the market will go for 650b. If those bikes won't sell the competition will not follow them. That will still be the majority of the market. Most people don't buy a bike a year. I don't get your logic of everything a producer suggests will sell. Who needs marketing, people buy everything you want. I think I need to start a bike company.Also you somehow ommited the examples you didn't like (35mm bars, bb30, or even the 1.5'' headtube. Not to mention a ton of stupid seatpost sizes)

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
There were very few 29ers being sold for anything but xc and marathons before the 650b craze began so stop kidding yourself.

Also the fact that a few companies go for something means nothing.

Also you are wrong. For 2015 only a part of the market will go for 650b. If those bikes won't sell the competition will not follow them. That will still be the majority of the market. Most people don't buy a bike a year. I don't get your logic of everything a producer suggests will sell. Who needs marketing, people buy everything you want. I think I need to start a bike company.Also you somehow ommited the examples you didn't like (35mm bars, bb30, or even the 1.5'' headtube. Not to mention a ton of stupid seatpost sizes)
Whatever you say... We'll come back to this thread in 3 years and see if your "opposition" to 650 worked or if, like 29'ers, marketing, online hype and magazines make the 26" DH a thing of the past. Companies are only moving forward. Forward is the 650, not the 26". Like 29, once Fox and Rockshox made forks available, Specialized and Giant followed Treks suit and marketed the 29'er. Again, show me a bike with less than 6" of travel that's a 26'er? It won't be available in 95% of bike shops in the USA and is most likely to be manufactured by a small company like GG or Mountain Cycles. The big 3 are on board which probably purchase 40% or more of Fox and Rockshox total annual production. This is what the magazines and websites will be reviewing. Who would read "New 26" Commencial Supreme" vs "Is 650 worth the hype?" or "650 Downhill review. Inside we test the new wheel size by Trek, Specialized and Giant". Magazines and websites run based on ads. They're not going to bash the companies that support them. The 5 companies listed above are probably the top 5 advertisers both online and on paper.
You could sit there revolting, kicking and screaming like I did about 29'ers, but it won't do you any good. That argument about "not everyone buys a new DH bike every year" makes no sense. Not everybody buys a new XC or trail bike every year either. What's in right now? 650, enduro, fat bikes, carbon and World Cup Soccer (thank God that's over).

Ps. The only thing I "omitted" wa random bs that you threw in there that was off topic. (pssst... I never had a 35mm bar. Shhhhh!)

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I ride a 650B-26 just so everyone hates me, might try a 650B rear but I like the extra slackness and lower BB for now.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My only complaint with all of these big wheeled long wheel base go fast as hell over loose terrain bikes is that they feel like total dog **** on some of the tight and super twisty trails that some of us ride when we can't get to a bike park. Sure, that's all well and good on many of the popular test tracks (enduro all mountain, xc and DH) but in reality the smaller 26" bikes still work better on some of the tighter trails some of us ride 90% of the time (not often by choice but due to location and availability).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Whatever you say... We'll come back to this thread in 3 years and see if your "opposition" to 650 worked or if, like 29'ers, marketing, online hype and magazines make the 26" DH a thing of the past. Companies are only moving forward. Forward is the 650, not the 26". Like 29, once Fox and Rockshox made forks available, Specialized and Giant followed Treks suit and marketed the 29'er. Again, show me a bike with less than 6" of travel that's a 26'er? It won't be available in 95% of bike shops in the USA and is most likely to be manufactured by a small company like GG or Mountain Cycles. The big 3 are on board which probably purchase 40% or more of Fox and Rockshox total annual production. This is what the magazines and websites will be reviewing. Who would read "New 26" Commencial Supreme" vs "Is 650 worth the hype?" or "650 Downhill review. Inside we test the new wheel size by Trek, Specialized and Giant". Magazines and websites run based on ads. They're not going to bash the companies that support them. The 5 companies listed above are probably the top 5 advertisers both online and on paper.
You could sit there revolting, kicking and screaming like I did about 29'ers, but it won't do you any good. That argument about "not everyone buys a new DH bike every year" makes no sense. Not everybody buys a new XC or trail bike every year either. What's in right now? 650, enduro, fat bikes, carbon and World Cup Soccer (thank God that's over).

Ps. The only thing I "omitted" wa random bs that you threw in there that was off topic. (pssst... I never had a 35mm bar. Shhhhh!)

Ehh your reading comprehension seriously sucks. I've said I wonder if it will sell, not that it won't sell. To me now everything is on the fence. If the bikes they offer ride on par with 26ers they have a chance.

As for 29ers. In xc and marathons it's not hype. They make sense. They don't make as much sense in bigger bikes and here no hype has worked. Very few of those bikes actually sell and even spec was forced to eat their own words and go 650b.

The rest of your post is proof you don't understand english or you took no effort to read what I wrote so I won't bother to respond to that. Reread my posts and you will see a response to the gibberish you wrote there.

@Kickstand exactly and remember that for DH bikes a lot of people ride them in parks. A lot of park trails aren't as wide open as some people think.

Last edited:

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
I hope track builders won't follow hype and re-build tracks to specific 27.5er and 29er. it means more smooth and wider path. :rant: *irony*

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I hope track builders won't follow hype and re-build tracks to specific 27.5er and 29er. it means more smooth and wider path. :rant: *irony*
Actually it should translate to less smooth given the most common big wheel selling point but wide open, yeah that would suck for some tracks.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No sh!t! Around here all the nice flowy and in some places tight and twisty singletracks are now straight-lined motorways. Corners get cut, everything straightened out. This happens increasingly the last years. I don't know if this is a result of more newbies on the trail, more 29-er riders that can't get their bike around a corner, Strava or if this is the cool ENDURO thing to do. :rant: :(

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
No sh!t! Around here all the nice flowy and in some places tight and twisty singletracks are now straight-lined motorways. Corners get cut, everything straightened out. This happens increasingly the last years. I don't know if this is a result of more newbies on the trail, more 29-er riders that can't get their bike around a corner, Strava or if this is the cool ENDURO thing to do. :rant: :(
I think it's a temporary trend. For a long time most trail centers/bikeparks had very little easy, flowy trails so now everyone wants them. Once they get them everyone will want something new.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Also you are wrong. For 2015 only a part of the market will go for 650b.
didn't you recently say you wanted your next bike to be a 650b specifically so it's compatible with **** down the line when you go to resorts and stuff? so you're saying that the market is forcing your hand, yet that the market doesn't know what it wants, and that rather than speaking with your wallet, you're going to support the market shift that you hate, just in case the market shifts? what the hell?

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
Why should consumers make a reasonable decision? It doesnt happen!

You dont seek logic in such decisions. Just BUY MOAR

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
didn't you recently say you wanted your next bike to be a 650b specifically so it's compatible with **** down the line when you go to resorts and stuff? so you're saying that the market is forcing your hand, yet that the market doesn't know what it wants, and that rather than speaking with your wallet, you're going to support the market shift that you hate, just in case the market shifts? what the hell?
I'm with Norbar on this one. I have 0 interest in 650b and think its stupid, but if change is inevitable, and its time to vote with my wallet, I'm not going to make a self righteous stand against the powers that be just so that I can make a point that nobody notices. I'm going to get in line for the 650b koolaid so that I don't have to spend double the money when I eventually realize that nobody heard my point, and I have to get a 650b anyway.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm with Norbar on this one. I have 0 interest in 650b and think its stupid, but if change is inevitable, and its time to vote with my wallet, I'm not going to make a self righteous stand against the powers that be just so that I can make a point that nobody notices. I'm going to get in line for the 650b koolaid so that I don't have to spend double the money when I eventually realize that nobody heard my point, and I have to get a 650b anyway.
Or be smart and buy NOS and used stuff. The supply of barely used 26" stuff for good prices is not bad lately. ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The only thing 26 that's NOT going to be around is manufacturer frame support. You can still buy all kinds of 26" hoops and tires, the best in the biz. In 5 years, you probably won't be able to get the latest and greatest frames...but 2 things; most manufacturers have really gotten their designs down. Aside from Yeti, who will then be on a pivot on a rail and a stanchion and 42 roller bearings, most people aren't going to go crazy with suspension designs. Everybody's backed themselves into corners with patents anyways. If you like the geometry of your bike or know how to change it, you're pretty set. Secondly, the void created by the big cows shifting will create a happy little niche for smaller manufacturers to thrive, like GG and Evil. If enough people say FU to Specialized and Trek, then GG gets paid in the shade, and the market shifts back. If nobody buys their 26" bikes, then everything goes 650b and the well dries up.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
There is a difference between DH and Enduro. In enduro/trailbikes the customers embraced the change, it is done, new bikes will be in 27.5. In DH it's the first year they will try to sell it to us. Next year sales will probably decide if the trend will stick. Possibly the next 2. If I will be buying a dh bike in 2 years maybe I will be left with the same decision as with my trail/enduro bike.

@iRider if budget allows I will go 27.5. The 26 prices are tempting now but in 2 seasons you will pay extra or it will be just very hard to find something nice in 26''. It depends how long will I want to keep the bike.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
OK, that makes sense. For the record, I do wish that DH would stay 26. Not much benefit on a competition stage if everybody switches over to it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
OK, that makes sense. For the record, I do wish that DH would stay 26. Not much benefit on a competition stage if everybody switches over to it.
Yeah I wish that too. For me as for many people the DH bike is my main bike park bike and 27.5 limits versatility there. I know the industry big wigs would really want me to have a 1 bike per trail but it's kinda hard to transport 30+ bikes when you go on a holiday by car.