Quantcast

2015 Intense Tracer 275 Alloy Pro fork replacement

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Did you like the Pike? If so, why not replace with same? Also, can it not simply be serviced? What type of wear does it have that's leading you to want to replace it?

Did you like the Pike? If so, why not replace with same? Also, can it not simply be serviced? What type of wear does it have that's leading you to want to replace it?
Yes, I am perfectly satisfied with the fork. Left leg is showing a of of wear internally, as noted in annual maintenance/rebuild.
Not sure if you are on Facebook anymore but used forks can be had for cheap by the hundreds on marketplace.
I haven't been of FB for years, and will tend to seek a new fork rather than purchase a used one.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
160mm is at the limit of travel for a Pike and well withing the sweet spot for a Lyrik. I would assume that would be a stiffer option if such an improve parameter is desired.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
If you want to try something different, I've run Fox 36s for years and have been happy with them. if you like the adjustability of the rtc3, then you'd want one with a grip2 damper. hopefully they've sorted the creaking/clicking CSU issues by now. I have a 2018 and it does do that some.

And while I've not personally run a Cane Creek helm, i have a buddy who's been on one for a few years and rides in the mountains 2-3 times/week and has been very happy with it.

Whatever you get, be sure the offset is the same as that of your current Pike.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
you'll also want to doublecheck your hub spacing. it will still be 15mm but most new forks are 110 boost, which i assume your current front hub is not.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you'll also want to doublecheck your hub spacing. it will still be 15mm but most new forks are 110 boost, which i assume your current front hub is not.
should note here: non-boost front hubs can be used in boost spaced forks, just takes a 5mm rotor spacer.

boost hubs will NOT work in non-boost forks.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I’m a fork slut. And I’ve ridden them all just about. With the above comments you can’t go wrong with a Lyrik. I am currently on a Helm and I really do enjoy it. Personal preference I I did like the lyrik over the 36

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I was on 150mm 27.5 Pike for many years on my old trail bike. New GG has a Lyrik, if weight does matter to you the Lyrik is nearly half a pound heavier. Unless you're smashing into rocky stuff at speed consider if you need the extra stiffness the weight brings.

As pointed out above you'll likely need a boost conversion for your front hub for your wheel to fit any new fork.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Shim kits arrived today, fork supposedly tomorrow.
You might have two options with the kit, if I am not mistaken - either place both 5mm spacers on the drive side and re-dish the wheel, or use the 5mm spacers on both sides and also add the brake rotor spacer between the hub and the rotor, no re-dishing needed.

And managed to find detailed specifications, for which I needed the serial number:

Model designator (SF): Ultimate
Wheel size: 27.5"
Travel: 160mm
Damper type: Charger 2.1 RC2
Fork offset: 46mm (27.5")
Maxle included: Maxle Stealth
Color (FS): Gloss Black
E-bike Approved: E-bike Approved
Steerer: 1.5" Tapered
Axle: 15 x 110mm BOOST™
Axle to crown: 552mm
Brake type: (FD) Disc
Crown material: Forged, hollow aluminum
Upper crown type: n/a
Lower leg type: Magnesium
Upper tube finish: Fast Black
Upper tube type 35mm tapered wall aluminum
Damper adjust: Crown
Damping adjustments: External begin stroke rebound, low speed compensation, high speed compensation
Volume reducer: 2/5 Tokens
Spring: DebonAir
Spring rate: n/a
Maximum tire diameter: 732mm
Maximum tire width: 81mm
Maximum rotor size: 220mm
Minimum rotor size: 180mm
Fender compatibility: n/a
Crown OD: 59mm
Weight: 2003gm

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Presume you got that from here:

The starting air pressure it gives you likely presumes you huck rampage lines every ride - it's been like that for both my recent forks.

Removed Solo fork from bike.

Removed Cane Creek crown race from fork. Need to figure out how to press it onto the new fork steerer without destroying anything.

Steerer length on old fork was cut to 205mm.

Weight of solo fork 1.87 kg with Maxle, 2.78 kg without, so Maxle's roughly 900g.

1642278723376.png

1642278772359.png

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So all I need to dig out right now is a star nut and some courage.
New fork didn't come with a new star fangled?

If you're going to try and re-use the old one you need to push it down and out the bottom of the old steerer. Personally for the couple of $ they cost I'd pick up a new one.

New fork didn't come with a new star fangled?

If you're going to try and re-use the old one you need to push it down and out the bottom of the old steerer. Personally for the couple of $ they cost I'd pick up a new one.
The fork did not come with a star nut and I wouldn't use an old one. I'm sure that I have one in one of my parts piles. If not, I'll purchase one.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I used a plastic pipe from a shop vac to push on the race.

Anything like that will do as long as you don't push it on crooked.

Or take it to a shop to have them slam it on in twenty seconds (and push the star nut in straight).